Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonNick

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2019
Netherlands
IMG_5778.png

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16.6.
100% battery capacity.
Probably about 7-8 hours of Screen Active time

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
Battery Life has been trash on my iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB (Unlocked).

I certainly believe iPhone 14 lineup in battery life is not that great. I feel like iPhone 13 Pro Max battery was a lot better compare to this iPhone. I really hope a better battery management system takes its place in the iPhone 15 Line up.

As you can see below barely push 5 Hours throughout the day. I was also on Wi-Fi all day. 0-100% Overnight charging. This is just unacceptable!

How long have you had the phone ? Did you have it since launch day ?
Because 90% capacity in less than a year doesn’t sound so great to be honest..

And what are your charging habits ? Do you charge it to 100% and let it die completely, or do you keep it between 20-80% ? Do you use wired or wireless charging ?

Reactions: svish and surfzen21
How long have you had the phone ? Did you have it since launch day ?
Because 90% capacity in less than a year doesn’t sound so great to be honest..

And what are your charging habits ? Do you charge it to 100% and let it die completely, or do you keep it between 20-80% ? Do you use wired or wireless charging ?
  • Pre-order my iPhone last September 2022 since the launch date.
  • Only charge my iPhone 14 Pro Max via wired Apple's classic 5W Apple Charger. (Slow overnight charging with optimized battery charging and clean charging kicked in.
  • By end of the night I have about 15-20% battery left depending on the usage.
  • I slowly charge my iPhone every night. I don't charge it throughout the day.
  • I'm also a pro user so I do use my iPhone a lot.
  • I'm not a big fan of wireless charging as it tends to overheat the phone.

Bottom line: iPhone 14 batteries are not that great compared to the iPhone 13 lineup. 6 months ago my battery was at 100% and then it started to degrade a lot faster bi-weekly.

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
  • Pre-order my iPhone last September 2022 since the launch date.
  • Only charge my iPhone 14 Pro Max via wired Apple's classic 5W Apple Charger. (Slow overnight charging with optimized battery charging and clean charging kicked in.
  • By end of the night I have about 15-20% battery left depending on the usage.
  • I slowly charge my iPhone every night. I don't charge it throughout the day.
  • I'm also a pro user so I do use my iPhone a lot.
  • I'm not a big fan of wireless charging as it tends to overheat the phone.

Bottom line: iPhone 14 batteries are not that great compared to the iPhone 13 lineup. 6 months ago my battery was at 100% and then it started to degrade a lot faster bi-weekly.
That doesn’t sound so great indeed..
I have a 14 Pro Max, though I got it about 2 months ago I think. For me, the battery has been really solid until I started applying software updates. It used to last me 2 days without any issues, now it doesn’t last for more than one day. Still pretty good, but not as great as it used to be.
I always charge the phone when the battery is at a 20%-30% range, I never let it go below that. I rarely charge it to 100% though, I often charge it up to 80%-90%, sometimes above 90%. I’m also not a fan of wireless charging, and I use Apple’s original 20W charger. The phone always tends to get really hot when it’s on charger though..

My battery health is still 100% speaking of right now, but I’d be really worried if it actually degraded that fast.. I’m planning to keep the phone for a few years before I upgrade, so I’d really like to keep the battery capacity as high as possible.. :(

That doesn’t sound so great indeed..
I have a 14 Pro Max, though I got it about 2 months ago I think. For me, the battery has been really solid until I started applying software updates. It used to last me 2 days without any issues, now it doesn’t last for more than one day. Still pretty good, but not as great as it used to be.
I always charge the phone when the battery is at a 20%-30% range, I never let it go below that. I rarely charge it to 100% though, I often charge it up to 80%-90%, sometimes above 90%. I’m also not a fan of wireless charging, and I use Apple’s original 20W charger. The phone always tends to get really hot when it’s on charger though..

My battery health is still 100% speaking of right now, but I’d be really worried if it actually degraded that fast.. I’m planning to keep the phone for a few years before I upgrade, so I’d really like to keep the battery capacity as high as possible.. :(

Ever since owning the first iPhone in 2008. I’ve never ever hit 2 days of battery life on a single charge so consider yourself lucky. I’m a pro user and I use my phone a lot. At times I would also hit 14-15 hours of usage on a single iPhone device.

The Apple Watch Ultra's battery life is
amazing. I also pre-ordered the AW Ultra and even today it’s still showing 100%. You recently got your iPhone so you should be fine. I think it starts to degrade after the 6-8 month mark. After that based on the battery calibration, it starts to degrade a lot faster. Heat is the enemy of the battery life tho. In audition, iOS 17 does have a better OS battery management system.

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
Ever since owning the first iPhone in 2008. I’ve never ever hit 2 days of battery life on a single charge so consider yourself lucky. I’m a pro user and I use my phone a lot. At times I would also hit 14-15 hours of usage on a single iPhone device.

The Apple Watch Ultra's battery life is
amazing. I also pre-ordered the AW Ultra and even today it’s still showing 100%. You recently got your iPhone so you should be fine. I think it starts to degrade after the 6-8 month mark. After that based on the battery calibration, it starts to degrade a lot faster. Heat is the enemy of the battery life tho. In audition, iOS 17 does have a better OS battery management system.
Oh so I guess it could also somehow depend on usage. I do use my phone a lot, but I wouldn’t consider myself a pro user as I never really do any heavy tasks on my phone. Most of my usage is basic web browsing, a little bit of social media and YouTube and I also do digital art and mainly use my phone for drawing.

Yeah, I did hear that iOS 17 has got better battery management system, so hopefully it helps improve the battery life a little bit. I’m definitely looking forward to it as iOS 16 hasn’t been very stable in general. Hopefully it brings some stability improvements as well.
And thank you so much ! 🙏🏻✨

Abthevolfan92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2022
My Mom wont buy me a new phone because she claims there is nothing wrong with it. losing 27 percent battery overnight is a significant problem

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
Battery Life has been trash on my iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB (Unlocked).

I certainly believe iPhone 14 lineup in battery life is not that great. I feel like iPhone 13 Pro Max battery was a lot better compare to this iPhone. I really hope a better battery management system takes its place in the iPhone 15 Line up.

As you can see below barely push 5 Hours throughout the day. I was also on Wi-Fi all day. 0-100% Overnight charging. This is just unacceptable!

I'm right there with you.
100%.

Lionel Messi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
HEAR ME OUT: HOME.

ONE WHOLE YEAR OF SUFFERING of battery drain on my 14 Pro.

The culprit was my freaking home (HomeKit). I had huge instability with my home (automations and scenes) and decided to delete the home and create a new one yesterday.

Typically, from 9AM - 4PM my battery would drain to 40-50% with minimal use. Today, my battery is at 74% during the same timeframe with the same use. My iPhone is noticeably cooler as well.

I can’t believe I suffered a whole year of battery drain. It was brutal.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Twice in the past month my one year old SE 3 has gone from about 70% to less than 10% over night and the phone had been turned off completely. Earlier today the phone had about 50% and I plugged it in to top it up and immediately I got the Black Screen of Death. I followed the instructions to press and release the up and down volume buttons and then hold down the power button for a bit longer. No luck. A quick trip to my local Apple Authorized Reseller and the nice fellow did the buttons routine and it powered up. He says he has had many visits from people on iOS 16 with the same problem. Software issues of some type. He ran a diagnostic test and the hardware come out with no problems.

• Wow
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I see with iOS 16.7 that the battery life is bad again, in contrast to 16.6.1, which actually relived part of the problem.

Reactions: krvld

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
What device? I ask because I’m not sure whether to install iPadOS 16.6.1 (I have the IPSW) or make an OTA update to iPadOS 16.7.
I'm using a 2022 iPhone SE with an WiFi-only Apple Watch Series 7. 16.6.1 had finally given some relief and 16.7 seemed to take a lot. Security fixes are more important, usually.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I'm using a 2022 iPhone SE with an WiFi-only Apple Watch Series 7. 16.6.1 had finally given some relief and 16.7 seemed to take a lot. Security fixes are more important, usually.
Thank you, I think I’m finally settling for an SE 3, but sadly, I think I’m not getting it in time for installing iOS 16.6.1

My guess is that by Monday (or even tomorrow) Apple will stop signing iOS 16.6.1 :(

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Thank you, I think I’m finally settling for an SE 3, but sadly, I think I’m not getting it in time for installing iOS 16.6.1

My guess is that by Monday (or even tomorrow) Apple will stop signing iOS 16.6.1 :(
They probably found that whatever they were doing to lessen battery drain caused a security problem.

Reactions: ph.rei

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe

Everyone uses their phone differently. I haven't noticed any difference between 16.6.1 or 16.7 in terms of battery consumption

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
I don‘t think I had such a great battery life even when my iP13 Mini was on iOS 15.7.1….
Yesterday I did downgraded from the terrible iOS 17.0.1 to 16.6.1 and this is the result:

09241658dffbae55da0801f27594ddff.jpg

89% battery health and on next Friday I have Genius Bar appointment to get my battery replaced by a new one out of warranty.
Such a great battery life I had on 15.7.1 with 100% battery health.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
I don‘t think I had such a great battery life even when my iP13 Mini was on iOS 15.7.1….
Yesterday I did downgraded from the terrible iOS 17.0.1 to 16.6.1 and this is the result:

09241658dffbae55da0801f27594ddff.jpg

89% battery health and on next Friday I have Genius Bar appointment to get my battery replaced by a new one out of warranty.
Such a great battery life I had on 15.7.1 with 100% battery health.
I think for my regular 13 battery life was maybe slightly better on iOS 15.7.1, and was definitely smoother on that version too.

At 89%, don’t you think it’s too early to change your battery? About 7 hours SOT is pretty good for the 13 mini I think. Personally I’d wait before giving Apple more money lol. You can save some battery when using the fb website instead of app too

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
I think for my regular 13 battery life was maybe slightly better on iOS 15.7.1, and was definitely smoother on that version too.

At 89%, don’t you think it’s too early to change your battery? About 7 hours SOT is pretty good for the 13 mini I think. Personally I’d wait before giving Apple more money lol. You can save some battery when using the fb website instead of app too

Yes, you have a point here, it is a bit early indeed. But I tend to have this nasty habit and I do change my phone’s battery every year.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hello, dear forum

I’m not sure where to ask this, and provided that battery life is one of the main concerns, I thought asking here could be a good idea.

I have an iPhone 8 that is on 15.7 (wait, wait, it is not for me), and now that I’ve upgraded to an SE 3, which is at 16.6.1, my mom will be inheriting this iPhone 8. Her iPad 9 is now in iPadOS 16.6.1, and I thought that maybe, for her to have the smoothest experience between the two devices, (e.g. getting phone calls on the iPad without any issues, or deleting/editing messages from both devices), it could be interesting to update the iPhone 8 to iOS 16.6.1 (which apparently has better battery life than 16.7 and addressed a lot of security issues), having all devices on 16.6.1, including my SE 3 and my M2 iPad Pro.

Apple will probably stop signing iOS 16.6.1 today with the launch of Sonoma or the first iOS 17.1 betas so I’m a bit I’m a hurry.

My mom is probably only using the iPhone 8 for calls and taking pictures, no browsing and probably no other apps, so.. Should I update the iPhone 8 from 15.7 to 16.6.1 for her to have the smoothest experience on the ecosystem?

My guess is that she wont notice a big difference in battery life when it comes to making calls, and the bigger font on the Lock Screen will probably make her easier to read the time, but I’d like to read any other point of view.

Also, it is there an easy way to make “big buttons“ to make phone calls using Shortcuts? The best solution would’ve been having Assistive Access on her iPhone 8 but sadly, Apple made it exclusive to iOS 17 and, thus, the iPhone 8 won’t receive it.

I’m open to ideas, and suggestions about updating the iPhone 8, but if you -or any mod- thinks it is better to open a different thread, just let me know.

Thank you in advance.

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
Hello, dear forum

I’m not sure where to ask this, and provided that battery life is one of the main concerns, I thought asking here could be a good idea.

I have an iPhone 8 that is on 15.7 (wait, wait, it is not for me), and now that I’ve upgraded to an SE 3, which is at 16.6.1, my mom will be inheriting this iPhone 8. Her iPad 9 is now in iPadOS 16.6.1, and I thought that maybe, for her to have the smoothest experience between the two devices, (e.g. getting phone calls on the iPad without any issues, or deleting/editing messages from both devices), it could be interesting to update the iPhone 8 to iOS 16.6.1 (which apparently has better battery life than 16.7 and addressed a lot of security issues), having all devices on 16.6.1, including my SE 3 and my M2 iPad Pro.

Apple will probably stop signing iOS 16.6.1 today with the launch of Sonoma or the first iOS 17.1 betas so I’m a bit I’m a hurry.

My mom is probably only using the iPhone 8 for calls and taking pictures, no browsing and probably no other apps, so.. Should I update the iPhone 8 from 15.7 to 16.6.1 for her to have the smoothest experience on the ecosystem?

My guess is that she wont notice a big difference in battery life when it comes to making calls, and the bigger font on the Lock Screen will probably make her easier to read the time, but I’d like to read any other point of view.

Also, it is there an easy way to make “big buttons“ to make phone calls using Shortcuts? The best solution would’ve been having Assistive Access on her iPhone 8 but sadly, Apple made it exclusive to iOS 17 and, thus, the iPhone 8 won’t receive it.

I’m open to ideas, and suggestions about updating the iPhone 8, but if you -or any mod- thinks it is better to open a different thread, just let me know.

Thank you in advance.
Hello! Honestly, if she is using the phone for just calling, taking photos, and let’s say even messaging, I don’t think either iOS versions will have an effect on the functionality. Note that only iOS 16 lets you edit iMessages.

Chances are that battery life and maybe the phone’s temperature will take a hit after updating to iOS 16, as I’ve read many posts regarding this happening to iPhone 8 and X. This also happened to my iPhone 7 after updating it to the last iOS (15).

You can also increase text size and bold the font in settings under Display. In Settings there is an Accessibility section with more zoom and display options to play around with. You can also just leave the phone app in the dock and remove the others from the Home Screen so it’s easier for her. If possible, tweak the Home Screen and visibility settings in person to find out the best setup she likes.

My 2 cents: strictly for performance and battery life and the fact she will not use the phone for internet related tasks, keep it on iOS 15

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hello! Honestly, if she is using the phone for just calling, taking photos, and let’s say even messaging, I don’t think either iOS versions will have an effect on the functionality. Note that only iOS 16 lets you edit iMessages.

Chances are that battery life and maybe the phone’s temperature will take a hit after updating to iOS 16, as I’ve read many posts regarding this happening to iPhone 8 and X. This also happened to my iPhone 7 after updating it to the last iOS (15).

You can also increase text size and bold the font in settings under Display. In Settings there is an Accessibility section with more zoom and display options to play around with. You can also just leave the phone app in the dock and remove the others from the Home Screen so it’s easier for her. If possible, tweak the Home Screen and visibility settings in person to find out the best setup she likes.

My 2 cents: strictly for performance and battery life and the fact she will not use the phone for internet related tasks, keep it on iOS 15
Thank you for your honest opinion. My idea of updating it to iOS 16.6.1 was because that way all the devices on my home would be on that version… and also because some apps in the future may require iOS 16. And interoperability via Handoff maybe works better with devices in the same version… but if you think that even using the phone for calls and pictures iOS 16 could worsen the battery health/life, then maybe it’s better to leave it on iOS 15.7

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
Thank you for your honest opinion. My idea of updating it to iOS 16.6.1 was because that way all the devices on my home would be on that version… and also because some apps in the future may require iOS 16. And interoperability via Handoff maybe works better with devices in the same version… but if you think that even using the phone for calls and pictures iOS 16 could worsen the battery health/life, then maybe it’s better to leave it on iOS 15.7
No problem! I do believe the battery will get worse just updating to 16, because it incorporates machine learning features that Apple forces on everyone. And of course the phone’s battery health will matter too.

I’d say for now if it works fine with the iPad, might as keep it on 15. If apps and new use cases start to be an issue, you can always go to 16. And Apple will keep releasing iOS 16 updates for roughly 1-2 years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.