Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the iOS 17 release candidate that came out yesterday, Apple added a new "Grid Forecast" section to the Home app. The feature is designed to use your location to tell you when "clean" energy is available to use, so you can be mindful of when you're using energy.

ios-17-grid-forecast.jpg

According to Apple, the energy sources that are used to power a home can change throughout the day. When the forecast reads "Cleaner," it means that the available energy sources may have lower carbon emissions. When it reads "Less Clean," available energy sources that are powering the grid may emit more carbon into the atmosphere.

Apple suggests that users can take advantage of this forecast to decide when to use electricity in situations where energy usage can be timed. Choosing to run the washing machine, the dryer, or the dishwasher during the "Cleaner" time will cut down on carbon emissions.

The Grid Forecast is based on each person's location, and Apple says that it is relative to the energy sources available on the grid in a particular place. According to Apple, even in areas with limited renewable generation, relatively cleaner energy may still be available. Apple does not provide information on where its energy information is sourced.

You can get to the Grid Forecast in iOS 17 by opening up the Home app and tapping on the "Energy" option at the end of the top navigation bar. You will see the current energy status and a time when it will shift. A Grid Forecast icon is also available at the top right of the Home app.

Grid Forecast is not a metric that is available in Automations, so it cannot be used to activate smart home devices at select times. The Grid Forecast is available on all Apple devices in the Home app, including iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac.

Article Link: iOS 17 Includes 'Grid Forecast' Feature to Let You Know When 'Cleaner' Energy is Available

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I still don’t understand how this is supposed to work like how do you even know where your electricity is coming from unless you have your own solar on the roof

Apple is already invested into mapping technology, so they know where power generation is happening. Hydroelectric dams, coal furnaces (yuck!), wind, solar, nuclear. This data is available in a geographic format, so when combined with your location, they can make educated estimations. They are likely working with electrical companies to get data, too.

Our province is all hydro and wind, so it's already "clean", I'm guessing. I wonder how this feature will work for us? No forecasts at all?

mknelson

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2020
Timed energy prices never benefit the customer. The prices will always be the highest when customers need power the most. I know that problem from train tickets.
It can and does - certain solar/battery products will top up the battery when energy prices are low and release electricity when the price is higher.

Some system will turn on your EV charger when grid prices are low.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
It can and does - certain solar/battery products will top up the battery when energy prices are low and release electricity when the price is higher.

Some system will turn on your EV charger when grid prices are low.
yup, called TOU (time of use), and all EVs offer that functionality without need a smart charger

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Apple is already invested into mapping technology, so they know where power generation is happening. Hydroelectric dams, coal furnaces (yuck!), wind, solar, nuclear. This data is available in a geographic format, so when combined with your location, they can make educated estimations. They are likely working with electrical companies to get data, too.

Our province is all hydro and wind, so it's already "clean", I'm guessing. I wonder how this feature will work for us? No forecasts at all?

No they are not. They do not have grid access. Power companies are not revealing privileged information.

What they are most surely doing is making a bunch of random assumptions and waving their hands.

People who know where their power comes from can tell you that what Apple tells them makes no sense.

Please report back when you try the feature. It will probably say you have 1-2 hrs of “clean” energy per day, despite being in a province with only wind and hydro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.