Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Generative AI surged in popularity in late 2022, when OpenAI released ChatGPT, a chatbot that can respond to questions and other text prompts. The company has also expanded into generative AI tools for images and videos. Other companies like Google and Microsoft have also pushed into the generative AI space, and the technology is quickly evolving.
Don't support this garbage, folks. Boycott iOS 18 if this happens

No5tromo

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Yea, the features breakdown and the "biggest update in iOS history" promise don't add up. There must be something else otherwise it's just hype.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Sounds like Gurman is drinking straight from the kool-aid bottle that his "contacts" at Apple are serving him. This is just an update to iOS not the biggest one ever. It's like Gurman is acting as a publicity tool for Apple, or that is how Apple is treating him as.

Reactions: arkitect

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Sure they’ve published research, they even have a dedicated page for it and a lot of it has been open source: https://machinelearning.apple.com/research

They also bought over 30 AI companies last year alone: https://www.cdomagazine.tech/aiml/a...s-charge-with-32-startup-acquisitions-in-2023

They’ve also spend billions on AI hardware, we don’t know which kind, but it’s safe to assume that it’s H100s from NVidia
But comparatively? Have a look at what the rest of big tech has done....

Edit: I should have specified "comparatively nothing".

escargot3

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
So is this article saying that RCS won’t support replies and reactions? Or they just forgot to include that part?

Reactions: arkitect

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Smart thing to do for Apple would be to:

Hire your own assistant model
- Instead of Siri, choose any AI model from "assistant" store
- Require Apple defined capabilities from AI model (to keep control over UX)
- Models need to be executed 100% on device
- Any assistance from a larger cloud model needs explicit user permission
- App access need to be approved by the user

Outcomes
- Gives Apple sufficient control over UX
- Privacy centric due to models not allowed to send to cloud
- Immediate and continuous access to best models (AI iterates at weekly cadence, Apple at annual cadence)
- Users can choose as protective or edgy personal they want to work with (Siri would need to be boring)

Best of all, there would be STRONG push for getting everyone to upgrade iPhone every year. You would need the latest A-chip to have enough capacity to run the best models. And this would not be "Apple being greedy".

This strategy could double Apple revenues to get everyone to annual upgrade cycle.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
In my humble opinion, I feel we're hyping this update too much and we genuinely risk ending up severly disappointed.
Now I'm sure this'll be a bigger update than the previous ones, but still...

Much more curious to see what they'll add to macOS as I believe it has the biggest potential for cool implementations.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I can't see devices with less than 128GB storage and 8GB RAM getting any of the AI features...
Don't you just love this can't cross the line between iOS (cellular devices), iPadOS (tablets), tvOS (24/7 HDMI HDCP), and MacOS (desktop UNIX). Everything is impossible to infringe onto another's product line for some reasons.

Then we approach this from the storage and RAM perspective you mentioned where the things like iPhones and iPads can't achieve the same as earlier desktop OS's that worked easily enough with that little storage and RAM. Now we are introducing most likely cloud based AI assistants, you wonder how success will be judged? :cool:

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Watch OS 10 was the most significant update that came to an Apple device since big bang! All of a sudden I couldn’t recognise my Apple Watch so I had to purchase a new one.
To be true, my iPhone 15PM looks almost identical to my iPhone 4. Except for the size difference, extra cameras and other things. Ios 18 may have few more sub menus hidden somewhere.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.