Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Best of all, there would be STRONG push for getting everyone to upgrade iPhone every year. You would need the latest A-chip to have enough capacity to run the best models. And this would not be "Apple being greedy".

This strategy could double Apple revenues to get everyone to annual upgrade cycle.

Apple would need to do something seriously dramatic to entice me to even consider buying on a yearly basis.
Especially as I wouldn’t need to do this for other OEM’s or AI apps.

@Brett

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2016
I really want the ability to combine my 2 Apple ID’s into 1. Allow me to transfer all my stuff over so I can get rid of the other account.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Don't you just love this can't cross the line between iOS (cellular devices), iPadOS (tablets), tvOS (24/7 HDMI HDCP), and MacOS (desktop UNIX). Everything is impossible to infringe onto another's product line for some reasons.

Then we approach this from the storage and RAM perspective you mentioned where the things like iPhones and iPads can't achieve the same as earlier desktop OS's that worked easily enough with that little storage and RAM. Now we are introducing most likely cloud based AI assistants, you wonder how success will be judged? :cool:
Isn't a bunch of the AI on the new Samsung phones locally run? Apple will want local implementation too, for privacy reasons, and for when your connection sucks. It can't all be cloud based...

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Isn't a bunch of the AI on the new Samsung phones locally run? Apple will want local implementation too, for privacy reasons, and for when your connection sucks. It can't all be cloud based...
reference
That said, these phones will specifically get the Galaxy AI features based on cloud computing. Anything that requires on-device processing, like Live Translate, won't come to these devices because they lack the NPU power for them to work.
NPU =Neural Processing Unit

So expect the iPhone 16's along with IOS 18 to be also AI cloud base with some limited localize AI functionality using the ARM's SoC NPU. :)

Last edited:

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
Will RCS work similarly to how iMessage does, how we can message people internationally without a fee?

• Sad
Reactions: dk001

4k78

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I’d love to be able to search my call log. For work I make a lot of calls and being able to search a call by name would be very helpful.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
What I want to know is when we will start seeing real significant differences in iPadOS from iOS. There’s no point in having them separately named if they stay so similar.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

TechGuy327

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2014
I just want the app thing to be true! If I remove something and don’t have something else to put there to keep everything in order it throws me off. Muscle memory can be a pain!

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
That they seem to be using google Gemini is an admission as to how far behind they are with a Gen AI chatbot.

No doubt that they are working on it, but I’d imagine that what they have now is akin to Apple Maps in iOS 6.

It’ll be interesting to see what on device gen AI they have regarding audio and visual editing features, where Apple has made more of an investment over the years.

Will they be able to produce these themselves or will they lean on Gemini like Samsung has?

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
No word on whether this fixes the defect that has existed since 2007 but shouldn't have made it out the door: the lack of audible notifications of missed calls.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Wonder how much more customisation Apple will allow. Also wonder whether this year Apple will finally release a calculator app for iPad.
They still haven't done that? 😂😂😂😂

Schiappablanca

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2024
That they seem to be using google Gemini is an admission as to how far behind they are with a Gen AI chatbot.

No doubt that they are working on it, but I’d imagine that what they have now is akin to Apple Maps in iOS 6.

It’ll be interesting to see what on device gen AI they have regarding audio and visual editing features, where Apple has made more of an investment over the years.

Will they be able to produce these themselves or will they lean on Gemini like Samsung has?
They are absolutely behind on generative AI and there's only one person to blame: Tim Cook. They will pay dearly for this mistake in my opinion.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
The whole point of a OS is to customise it to whatever suits you , while hiding those nasty bugs underneath. Hence if i want to leave an entire row empty for my os bugs to run more freely so be it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.