iOS 4.2 GM is up.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by greenemg, Nov 1, 2010.

1. greenemg macrumors newbie

iOS 4.2 GM is up for grabs on the developer network.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So it is. Downloading for my iPhone 4 now. Hope it fixes the bugs in the last beta.

3. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Is this legit? Can't imagine the iPad 4.2GM being ready to go. I expected at least one more beta....

4. Akme macrumors member

5. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

6. LinkMx macrumors member

Because you need a developer account to download it.

7. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Ah yes, I forgot. I don't obtain betas that way so it actually slipped my mind :)

Can't wait to download. Hopefully it's rock solid

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

not really lol as soon as it hits torrents an newsgroup dev account goes out the window an being GM no UDID registration needed so people will be able to download an update willy nilly.... I wont be as I gots my lovely dev account :D

9. MuggleReviewer macrumors member

MuggleReviewer

AirPlay Questoin

Now that the GM is up, can someone tell me if it is possible to stream from your mac to your iPad and vise versa or is it only for the appleTV??

10. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'll be installing tonight to do some final testing on some of my own apps. Also curious to see if Netflix will behave a little better. It seemed to work fine in beta 1 and 2 for me, but broke in beta 3.

Only native iOS app that has given me trouble so far is Notes. I was taking notes in a meeting this morning and multitasked out to go to Evernote. When I went back into Notes, the note was not there at all. I'll now be relying on another app to do my quick/dirty meeting notes.

11. benledgebob macrumors member

Now the GM is out do guys think we will be seeing a finall release around the middle of November?

12. Akme macrumors member

It will probably be released in about a week (i.e., next Monday or Tuesday).

13. kultschar macrumors 6502a

How do we know for sure it is the actual GM??

14. Saberon macrumors 6502a

99% chance that the GM today is identical to the real thing whenever its released next week etc

That's how just about every GM has been

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Not possible. AirPlay to Apple TV doesn't work yet either since the Apple TV is running iOS 4.1. Maybe with iOS 5 we'll get "home sharing" on the iPad/iPhone/iPod, and 10.7 will incorporate AirPlay into Safari and QuickTime on the Mac.

16. benledgebob macrumors member

Awesome that soon this is great can't wait for multitasking and folders! Anyone installed it yet if so how is it?

17. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

It is labeled 4.2 GM currently by Apple.

The only way it would change is if some Major bug is found. Otherwise it should be essentially identical to the public release.

Downloading and getting ready to retesting my Apps as I type this.

18. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Awesome, will look forward to hearing how it is and hopefully if OK some links will appear :D

19. aimee25 macrumors member

Oh the wait is killing me! I have been so good. I have never jail broken or registered my udid with anyone but to get ios 4 I have been so tempted. I hate having multitasking on every other device when I use my iPad the most. I really wanted it for my trip away this weekend too :(

Yes, I know, I suck at delayed gratification.

20. rumz macrumors 6502

I must have been confused when they unveiled the AppleTV-- sounded like you'd be able to stream from the iPad to the AppleTV with iOS 4.2. (Think maybe there's an AppleTV update on the way?)

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It will probably become active with an update of iTunes. When the 4.2 gets released a new iTunes will too.

22. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Nice that Slingplayer finally works. The downside is that I'm getting pretty tired of this version dependent crap. This app (from Apple!) doesn't work because it's locked to that version of iOS which requires this version of iTunes and blah blah blah. You know, the same crap everyone made fun of Microsoft for 15 years ago. I'm not thrilled about being forced to stick that butt ugly iTunes 10 on my computer...now I'm starting to wonder if it's worth bothering to upgrade anymore, especially when you know it's just Apple manipulating you.

23. WilliamG macrumors 604

Please someone tell me that NYT Crosswords works on the GM? PLEASE!

24. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I emailed Magmic (who coded NYT Crosswords) last week and sent them my device logs. They said they found the bug last Monday and have an update submitted to App Store. Hopefully we'll see it soon -- it still crashes for me right after launching it.

I'm also a bit worried that now I can't actually sync with iTunes -- I did an update from beta 3 to the GM and after it rebooted now it won't sync with iTunes. It tells me I need iTunes 10.1 to be able to sync. *Great*.

Errr... never mind. Found the 10.1 beta for Mac on the iOS Dev Center so I'm good. :)

Netflix works again -- yippee ;)

25. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7