iOS 4.3 but no Personal Hotspot in U.K?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tom8, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Hey, i just updated to iOS 4.3 on my iPhone 4 expecting to see the Personal Hotspot option, but can't seem to find it. I'm on Tesco mobile, not that they could dictate to Apple what they put in software updates. Anyone else in the U.K have no Personal Hotspot option?

2. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

3. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

They actually can. There is a carrier file in the software that allows carriers to turn on and off some features.

I'm on AT&T in the US, and also don't have the option. But I'm guessing it is because I am on the unlimited plan from my iPhone 3G, which doesn't support the Personal Hotspot.

4. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

5. weckart macrumors 68040

Same here. Tesco carrier firmware has nuked the PH function. Skinflints. Praise be for 12 month contracts.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You need to have a tethering plan to get Personal Hotspot enabled.

7. Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh, i stand corrected then.

Also, nope, not in my settings, i have Locational Services moved to the front page of Settings, but no Personal Hotspot that i can find.

8. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I'm on 3 and the PH options are all enabled.

9. Tom8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks to be Tesco's doing then.

10. jayo1971 macrumors member

11. jordan eff macrumors regular

i'm on o2 in the uk and no settings for it on mine

not happy :(

12. jaysquires macrumors newbie

Im on vodafone uk and it has shown up on mine. I am using the GM 4.3

13. J273 macrumors regular

Same:(

14. PDE macrumors 68020

It's robbery to charge more for tethering. I could understand it if they were providing unlimited data plans, but with the very real and low caps of these providers it's robbery to not let you use your data any way you want.

15. jayo1971 macrumors member

Well, I'm not upgrading and I think I'll jailbreak for Myfi me thinks. Why should I pay more each month so that i may use the small amount of data i get on the iphone.

16. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

I have an sim free iphone 4 & use an Orange pay monthly sim but its not an iphone tariff, do you think I can enable the tethering without changing my plan over to iphone tariff?

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm on O2 and have got the option to 'Set Up Personal Hotspot'. If I click it it gives me a link to a the O2 web site offering a 500MB Tethering Bolt On for £7.50 a month.

I doubt it, it seems to be tied up to carrier settings.

18. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I'm on o2 and it is there in the settings, but I would have to pay o2 to have it enabled, as with the tethering.

It may be visible because I am running 4.3 GM, but as far as I know it should be the same as today's release?

For me to tether or use personal hotspot, o2 will only let me if I 'upgrade' to their new version of my contract, which would mean me losing my unlimited data, but that's another story!

19. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

I am on AT&T in the US and I had to go here to turn it on first and set it up before it would appear at the front of the settings menu. So turn it on and set it up, and it should appear here after that.

20. fifi77 macrumors regular

I'm on O2 and I can see the option. All I want to find out is if you're able to tether a wifi iPad to the iPhone but O2 themselves seem to have no idea :rolleyes:

21. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Yes and yes. On a 30 day rolling contract with no data package other than the phone itself. Click the setup option and get directed to O2 page showing £7.50 a month for 500mb

22. The-Barron macrumors member

The-Barron

just bear in mind that Tesco and o2 being the speedy people they are may not have updated carrier files available yet as the update wasn't due to launch till Friday.

Also Tesco Mobile make no mention of tethering either on their website or as an add-on, so it may not become available at all. I'm on Tesco too, and have been beta testing os 4.3 since the beginning, but have never had the option for PH, hence my suspicion that there would need to be a carrier update first, if they ever enable it

23. fifi77 macrumors regular

O2 just told me I need iTunes in operation for tethering to work...eh? They haven't got a CLUE.

24. idrewuk macrumors member

idrewuk

O2 don't have a CLUE. I used their live chat and ended up being sent instructions on how to switch on WI-FI on my iPhone. That's right, bog standard Wi-Fi which I've been using for years. Idiots.

25. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

I have a sim free iPhone 4 and a 30 day sim only deal with T-Mobile. Personal Hotspot works for me.