Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

060106-IMG_0069-1_300.jpg

iOS 4 packaging for iPhone 3GS from Br8nd4on.com
Apple is due to release iOS 4 sometime today. The latest version of the iPhone and iPod touch operating system will be available as a free download. It appears Apple has already started shipping the new iPhone 3GS 8GB with iOS 4 pre-installed (see photo above).

We aren't sure when Apple will be posting the download. Last year's 3.0 release didn't take place until after 1PM Eastern/10AM Pacific.

Article Link: iOS 4 Due for Release Today

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
When ever it is it will be nuts! I think I may wait until at least 6 hours after release.

mach900685

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
"Check for Update"

I sure hope I'm not the only one sitting here constantly clicking the "Check for Update" button, hoping it's available...

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
theres going to be things that annoy you, like when you use folders. open an application in the folder, close the app and the folder is still open. why they did this and not have the folder close when you open an app so when you quit it was the springboard? i have no idea. multitasking needs a revamp too, like maybe a preference pane that allows you to choose which apps you want to always background, which ones you dont. every app backgrounding when you close it is a little overboard.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
And in the Uk we had to wait till 6pm GMT :(

6 pm GMT, or 6 pm BST? Because if 6 pm BST, that IS 1 pm EDT. The UK switches between GMT and BST (=GMT+1) around the same times that the East Coast switches between EST (=GMT-5) and EDT (=GMT-4, Eastern Daylight savings Time = our version of Summer Time), so ...

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
theres going to be things that annoy you, like when you use folders. open an application in the folder, close the app and the folder is still open. why they did this and not have the folder close when you open an app so when you quit it was the springboard? i have no idea. multitasking needs a revamp too, like maybe a preference pane that allows you to choose which apps you want to always background, which ones you dont. every app backgrounding when you close it is a little overboard.

Not every app backgrounds. Think of the switcher as a fast way to get back to the last thing you were running.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
i have to say, after sitting with the new ui for the iphone for a while now i am not a fan of the new look. i can see the reasoning, but i never liked the snow leopard dock.

wallpapers makes springboard look like a geocities site too. easy enough to overcome with a custom black wallpaper, but there are going to be a lot of ugly iphones out there come tuesday morning.

greggstroud

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2008
Southampton UK
Just noticed when syncing my iPhone 3gs...

Just noticed when syncing my iPhone 3gs that the picture of the iPhone is a 3gs with the iOS 4.0. You can see by the fact the background on the main screen is custom not black.

20qgax3.jpg

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
Well 18:00 UK time is 03:00 Oz time so I will be updating at 5:15AM tomorrow when I get up :( At least I have the train journey to work to play with it...

cleggster83

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Bolton, UK
6 pm GMT, or 6 pm BST? Because if 6 pm BST, that IS 1 pm EDT. The UK switches between GMT and BST (=GMT+1) around the same times that the East Coast switches between EST (=GMT-5) and EDT (=GMT-4, Eastern Daylight savings Time = our version of Summer Time), so ...

We Are on GMT

Lord Vader

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2010
Death Star

My head already hurts.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
Anybody know if the iOS 4 version coming out is going to be different than the Developer version that was released during WWDC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.