Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ILBandit

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
Wifi problems?

Anyone having problems with connecting to wifi? Mine drops out once in a while, after re-booting, seems to work again, but happens a few times a day.

dspalton

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Fleet, UK
Anyone having problems with connecting to wifi? Mine drops out once in a while, after re-booting, seems to work again, but happens a few times a day.

What device are you using?
Im managing ok on the following
- iPhone 4 (white)
- iPad 2
- iPod Touch 4G
- iPad 1

David

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
More on Safari

Other goodies of Safari in iOS5:

* now, it has better auto form filling. So far, while it did save the password, it wouldn't fill out the EduRoam (a European academic network with daily, password-based authorization) forms. I needed to use iCab for that in order not to have to tap / do anything. Now, it's fixed - whenever, at first Internet access at work each day, I'm returned to the EduRoam login page, the input form is nicely filled-in by Safari. The pre-iOS5 version wasn't capable of this - actually, I in no way could make it fill this form. This was one of the reasons of why I used to stick to iCab, which, among other things, automatically filled out this form.

* I especially like the lack of the title bar, which, before iOS5, unnecessarily took up a lot of valuable screen estate. Remember: the title is always visible as the name of the tab. If it's not long enough to display the title, you can either add the current page as a favorite to see the title in its entirety (or being able to scroll the text) or use my dedicated title printer scriptlet (see http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1006692 ). Apple, please, do not listen to people that (may) demand it back – it's not needed as it's really-really easy to quickly(!) get the full(!) title of the current page. With my scriptlet, for example, it only takes one(!) tap (assuming the scriptlet is put on the bookmark bar and it's visible all the time – that is, enable Safari / Always Show Bookmarks Bar in the system-level settings).

* I love the background tab opening (enabled by default) – so far, opening many links on a page necessitated a LOT of additional taps to always switch to the original page. This was one of the major reasons of my preferring alternative browsers (e.g., iCab) supporting background tab opening. Now, this belongs to the past - with the other goodies and advantages of Safari, now it's my preferred Web browser and it's only in some special cases (e.g., need for a download manager, in which e.g. iCab and some other browsers are unbeatable) that I switch to a third-party app.

Note that at least with Opera Mini, some people dislike the default background link opening (see e.g. http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1002092 ). Unlike with Opera Mini, where it cannot be deactivated, you can do this in iOS5's Safari (disable the system-level Settings / Open New Tabs in Background)

* now, in-page text search is done the way I've always hoped for: not only „next”, but also „previous” is implemented! Great!

* back/forward history is also implemented by long-tapping the arrows – excellent!

* It's not killed when it's backgrounded, unlike with all other browsers (except for Opera Mini) if you open more than one tab in them and/or open a somewhat large page. The worst you can experiment is killing the content of, first, other tabs and, in memory critical situations, the current tab itself - this only means they need to be reloaded. This is way more user-friendly than how the third-party browsers are (mis?)treated, allowed memory-wise, even on 521M RAM-equipped models, where these third-party apps are granted equally little memory than on previous (256M) but also multitasking-capable models. (BTW, the latter should also be fixed by Apple. On 512+ RAM devices, backgrounded / suspended apps should be allowed considerably more RAM than in older machines, particularly when there's plenty of free memory still.)

BTW, speaking of memory usage of Web browsers, did I say I'm not very happy with the vast amount of memory UIWebView uses? Well, I say it once again. It is one of the major problems of the platform. You could take a look at how memory-friendly Opera Mini is. While it's capable of rendering with almost the same fidelity (styles, images etc.), it uses orders of magnitude less memory for the same Web page. E.g., a (standard) page that takes about 20-30 Mbytes on a high-res (960*640 / 1024*768) iOS device when kept in memory, only takes 100-200 kbytes or even less(!) in Opera Mini.

All in all – while I certainly disliked the awkward (no background tab opening; it took many taps to switch pages; no dynamic title displaying in Thumbnail mode etc) pre-iOS5 Safari, now, it has become my number one favorite browser. I only use alternative browsers in some specific situations:

* I need a download manager (not supported by Safari) – iCab, Atomic etc.

* I must keep as much tabs / webpages open as possible without them (or the entire Web browser) being killed, not even during resuming from backgrounded state OR I absolutely need to minimize data usage (e.g., while roaming) – then, I use Opera Mini instead.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I was just about to start one of these threads....whilst the beta is very usable, there are some bugs that are kinda serious!
I am using an iPad 2 wifi

1. Music app is all over the place...sticks and jumps about a lot, plays next song with last songs title...freezes too
2. If you set banner notifications on for mail, and lock the screen, if you receive a mail the whole iPad freezes up with a black screen...need. T reboot
3. Most things not syncing to iCloud yet. Can't edit email data associated with iCloud, i.e switch from MobileMe to gmail or other. Locks it to first one entered. Don't think this is correct.
4. Seems to be an issue with app updates,,,don't show properly in app store app.
5. Backup to iCloud seems to take forever!!! The OS loading bar is sticky and jumps back and forth with its estimations if u move to another setting....these too are sticking a bit

Apart from that,,,that I've noticed, everything seems to work out ok. Animations are smooth, gestures work better than on 4.3 and no wifi issues or safari or app issues...I got 150 apps and tested them all to see if they work ok. I am not listing them though! Most of the woes are around the mix of MobileMe and iCloud accounts which is probably expected at this stage, but the ios is pretty good, cant wait for beta 2!

Ya, the iPad music app is a train wreck. Try pulling up a shared library. No album art displays. When you click on an album, it pulls up the art for that album next to the track listings, which all show song durations of 0:00. When you click another album, it pulls up the same art as the first one you clicked on. Every one you click on after that is the same. Freezes up and crashes constantly. Other than that, it's great. :D

Does anyone get the MoobileMe Mail account twice? How do I get rid of the duplicate?

Yes, the same happened to me. I haven't bothered trying to fix it yet.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got the double MobileMe account problem too. I fixed it by deleting and re-adding the account

Helixc0de

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2011
I am getting a few bugs. When I try to add a song to napster a cancel button pops up on the top the screen. You cannot play multiple songs and have to clear all the current songs to play another unless you have a playlist. Also wifi will drop and email will not update. Also iMessage will not work with a white iPhone 4 and a black iPad.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got the Doyle MobileMe account problem too. I fixed it by deleting and re-adding the account

Yes, that is how I fixed it too.

Jacc Sparrow

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Brooklyn Nyc
Having a problem with the twitter intergration or maybe its me. Whenever I try to @reply somebody the automatic list is generated of all of my followers..But alot of people dont show up. And when i try to add it manually whenever i use "@" it brings up the list..

Does anybody else have this problem?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Anybody having problems with the calendar app? It seems very buggy at the moment. I can save appointments, but saving lasts for ever. Syncing does seem buggy too. Events I created on my iPad do not appear on my iPhone and vice versa. I use MobileMe.

ashy87

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2010
United Kingdom
On occasion when I open an email from the notification banner I have no buttons at the bottom to delete,forward,reply etc. I have to navigate back to the mailbox and then tap the message again to get them to show. Not every time however, I'll watch for a pattern.

Silly question but is there a way to delete photos from photostream? The iPhone has no option I can see but my iPad has a delete button that stays greyed out, is it there just to tease me?

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I wish I would have just payed the $100 and got my own Dev account so I could report these myself. If anyoen is a Dev could they PM me and I'll stay in contact with them on the bugs I find?

Bugs I've found so far:
The Rock Effect for iPod seriously distorts some music

When you search for a place in Maps and then click the little blue arrow for the contact info it crashes maps, repeatedly.

When trying to find directions for Maps it's really hard to clear the old route off the phone. Clicking the X's doesn't do it.

Sometimes when typing a word, autocorrect will fix it, and when I backspace to type it again it is impossible to type a letter, you will always get one of the letters to the side of it, no matter how precise you try and type the wanted letter.

Apps issues so far:
Dictionary.com is not working at all

HeyTell will block a friend, and you have to unblock them and refriend them, this happens randomly

Things I would like for them to change:

When the notification bar rolls down it actually shrinks the screen so that it won't cover any buttons that may be in the window your usings. I don't mean like pushing the whole screen down because that would block the bottom buttons. Just shrink it.

When you open a folder you have to tap outside of it to get it to close, before you could swipe anywhere and in any direction and it would close.

I want to be able to hide the keyboard in text messages when done typing. This is a reocurring problem from previous iOS's as well. Right now when you bring the keyboard up, the only way to get it to dissapear it to close the app even from multi-tasking, or leave the current conversation, enter a new conversation, and then go back to the original conversation.

matty.p1987

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
San Diego, CA
Anybody having problems with the calendar app? It seems very buggy at the moment. I can save appointments, but saving lasts for ever. Syncing does seem buggy too. Events I created on my iPad do not appear on my iPhone and vice versa. I use MobileMe.

I have had some weird syncing issues too, It seems as though they are tweaking with it. I like the new ability to resize the calendar events on the day view, but it's super touchy. Definitely needs some polish still.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have had some weird syncing issues too, It seems as though they are tweaking with it. I like the new ability to resize the calendar events on the day view, but it's super touchy. Definitely needs some polish still.

I restored my iPad to default and since then I can successfully sync. My iPhone had the exact same behavior too.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
3 More kind of annoying bugs I've discovered:

Bluetooth is failing hardcore for me.
Every time I try to stream music from the Music app over Bluetooth to my car, it resets every once in awhile disconnecting my device and requiring me to manually reconnect it. Sometimes it does it after 10 seconds and other times it does it after 10 minutes. I haven't really tested it with Bluetooth headsets with phone calls, though.

It looks like my iPhone refuses to charge (correctly) from the dock whenever I use a non-Apple USB cord plugged into my Apple dock. It says, "Charging is not supported by this accessory," most of the time or doesn't actually continually charge it. I left it on the dock one night when the battery was around 25% and about 8 hours later it was only at 95%. It was fixed when I switched out the cords.

Also, plugging my iPhone directly into my car (via Apple's USB cord) for charging and listening to music isn't very reliable. It seems like my iPhone is constantly resetting (disconnecting it from charging) and over half of the time my car doesn't even see my phone as an iPod. This has been consistent bug that appeared throughout all iOS betas, though, they've fixed it in the GM release. Weird.

Kind of annoying bugs, but I can live with them.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
chances are there are so many people testing this that they have already been reported (not to mention people at Apple who actually know what they're doing are testing it much more effectively than us), so if you don't feel like doing so it isn't going to hurt anything. Apple releases the betas more so for developers to start updating their apps than to get bug reports (not that reports aren't useful, but you know what I mean)

You're kinda off the mark, there. If you have beta iOS 5 and are experiencing bugs, you should most definitely report them to Apple. After all, you're taking the time to post to a forum! And you probably spent $99 to join the dev program. Why not copy/paste your post and report it to Apple at the same time?

That's the whole point of beta releases - so that people like us with different usage patterns, different apps installed, different types of content, differing amounts of free space, etc. etc. can all try the same software in order to find and identify issues with it.

Don't just sit there and hope someone else will report it for you!

RTP.

bobbyjangkins

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
Two things

When I set a geofence for a reminder, the location arrow stays on permanently. With this I mean both that I would think it should poll your position every x minutes and even if I turn off the geofence, close the app, even kill the app, the location arrow stays in the status bar. The obvious result of this is that the battery gets crushed in like 4 hours, with also light usage of the phone

Does this happen for anyone else?

Happens to me.
iphone 4 GSM 16gb
iOs 5 beta

al1701

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
Pearl, Ms
Same Problem with my Icon

I have an issue with trying to answer phone calls when connected to my Voyager Pro+. No matter if I try to answer by using the screen or talk on the headset the phone freezes for about 15 seconds and continues to ring. At some random point it will attempt to pick up the call but 9/10 it ends the call.

Having the same problem with my Jawbone icon, I thought oh great I can't recieve the calls until I realized it had answered just took 10 - 15 seconds to connect. Audio on my bluetooth seems to be better though.

Also when I did a backup restore it did not put any of my apps on even though it was set to sync them. When I checked all the boxes and synced, it only put on 35 or so of the 149 apps, so I had to put them on in batches.

Also did not put ringtones back on that were there to start with even though it was checked to sync.

Some apps that connect to the net are not working, Touch Bible for one just keeps spinning like it wants to connect.

Using an I Phone 4

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Having the same problem with my Jawbone icon, I thought oh great I can't recieve the calls until I realized it had answered just took 10 - 15 seconds to connect. Audio on my bluetooth seems to be better though.

Also when I did a backup restore it did not put any of my apps on even though it was set to sync them. When I checked all the boxes and synced, it only put on 35 or so of the 149 apps, so I had to put them on in batches.

Also did not put ringtones back on that were there to start with even though it was checked to sync.

Some apps that connect to the net are not working, Touch Bible for one just keeps spinning like it wants to connect.

Using an I Phone 4

My dictionary app is doing the same thing as your Touch Bible. Then it will say you have to have internet to access information. I tried both on wifi and 3G. It is an app thing probably.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Home Sharing

When using home sharing to listen to music from my shared iTunes library through the music app, I am having problems.

I have the iPhone locked, and use the headphone remote to control my songs. When I pause a song for more than 10 seconds or so, when I go to resume, I am no longer utilizing home sharing. I need to go in and connect to my shared library again. In the past, it would pause and resume just as any other song on the device.

This is the bug that annoys me the most, but there are quite a few other minor bugs. Overall, my memory tells me this is the best beta 1 so far.

Branfarm

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
Exchange interference

Noticing a problem with Outlook 2010 when my phone is connected to my Exchange 2010 account. New emails that go to inbox (not moved to other folders by rules) will show up on phone immediately, but won't show up in Outlook until I manually update folder, or restart Outlook. If I delete my exchange account from the phone, new emails show up immediately again.

Anybody else seeing that?

themadrussian

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Oh and this thing has devoured my battery. 70% in 6 hours. But usage has been high today. ;)

Edit:
- in Month view in my corporate Exchange calendar I'm seeing dots on days with no events!

Edit2: battery abuse. Looking grim!

Very odd. I restored from a backup (which people have said results in battery problems) but my battery life has been excellent - maybe even better than with iOS 4! I've been using it heavily as well - these 3+ hours have been mostly browsing, making several calls, and doing a fair bit of texting (~200 texts).

FP1Tm.png

JohnDonovan

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
London

Yes - I have two calendars set up in MobileMe: one main work one (lots of events), and a secondary family one (less busy!) and I have the birthdays calendar active. At the moment, the main calendar isn't displaying any events on the Beta running on my iPhone4. They're still showing on my iPad/PC/MacBook and MobileMe Web etc.

Have tried deleting and reinstalling MobileMe on the phone (twice) and rebooting the phone, but still the same!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.