Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Where's that? I only see the setting for "Ask to join networks"

Either way regardless if you have the "Ask" feature on or off, I think it just constantly searches if it's not connected. Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

Or are you talking about a new setting in iOS 5?

Edit: Just saw your post saying that it's been there since day 1, so obviously not talking about a new iOS 5 feature lol, but I still don't see a "turn off searching" feature, just the "ask to join" one, which I don't think disables the searching.
If there are no known networks around, it does NOT search, hence no battery drain whatsoever. That's the whole purpose of the "Ask to Join Networks" switch. I thought that was clear enough.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
If there are no known networks around, it does NOT search, hence no battery drain whatsoever. That's the whole purpose of the "Ask to Join Networks" switch. I thought that was clear enough.

Wrong.

It still actively searches for networks (which is how it can still auto join your own network).

What you are saying only turns off NOTIFICATIONS, not the radio itself.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I'm sorry, how often do you turn WiFi/Airplane Mode on and off???

I rarely touch those settings because:
1. WiFi "turns itself off" when I'm not, um, in WiFi area (duh!)
2. Airplane Mode only for when I have to travel by plane

If you travel. A lot. Just because you don't use them doesn't mean others won't.

I don't always use the Wifi at work because I am just barely in range. If I know I"ll be sitting in my office for the next couple hours I"ll turn on Wifi. But when I'm walking around the factory, past the office that has the router, and farther away from it I hate waiting for the phone to switch back to 3G.

When you get on a plane you need to turn on airplane mode. If you travel a lot like me and my F-I-L and B-I-L, it would be nice to have it quickly accessible.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
fas10_2.png

The touchwiz toggles on the top of the Android notification area would be absolutely perfect for the iPhone. SBSettings is one of the only reasons that I really jailbreak (for easy access to my wifi, bluetooth, 3g toggles, etc)

Also seems fair that since Apple is suing Samsung for copying them that they might as well copy some of Samsung's touchwiz... ;)

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Wrong.

It still actively searches for networks (which is how it can still auto join your own network).

What you are saying only turns off NOTIFICATIONS, not the radio itself.

Yeah, because how else is it going to find out if you're around known networks? It needs to search for them. So therefore it must always be searching.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I haven't delved much into Obj-C programming, so I'll approach this as a web developer... wouldn't it be pretty simple to implement?

Assuming the Notification area expands dynamically (I don't see why it wouldn't), you just need to add some space at the top, and throw in the buttons which trigger the commands. And the functions are already there in the OS, so there should be relatively little work to do, right?

I mean obviously they're busy finishing iOS 5 but.... hopefully they can squeeze this into their schedule.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

This is incorrect. It can only tell if the network is one of your known networks by searching, polling that network and finding out it's SSID. This uses the battery. All the "ask" setting does is turn the iOS popup on and off whenever it detects a network.

In areas with lots of networks that don't necessarily have strong signal (such as driving round urban areas) this is a very significant battery drain. I know I find that if I turn wifi off while outside known networks my battery lasts about 40% longer than leaving it on.

Hence I use the wi-fi on off toggle at least six times on an average day. And the UI for it *sucks*. I'm flabbergasted that it's not been fixed.

Phazer

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I haven't delved much into Obj-C programming, so I'll approach this as a web developer... wouldn't it be pretty simple to implement?

Assuming the Notification area expands dynamically (I don't see why it wouldn't), you just need to add some space at the top, and throw in the buttons which trigger the commands. And the functions are already there in the OS, so there should be relatively little work to do, right?

I mean obviously they're busy finishing iOS 5 but.... hopefully they can squeeze this into their schedule.

It would be a doddle, but then again it would have been simple to implement since iOS 1 and hasn't been.

Phazer

vebs

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Leicester, UK
How about a widget in the notification center that does these things instead of stocks/weather (which i'm not really interested in).

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Yes, it should be there,

Spotlight, should also be in the Notification Center

This is how it should be done... (I'd also personally move the multitasking bar to Notification Center, but if it remains as it is, it's OK. Spotlight and Switches MUST be there though...)

YMpid.jpg

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Biggest thing I miss from Android... I could make toggles a billion different ways. Here's the toggles I actually used though: orientation lock, screen brightness, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth, gps, flashlight, and sound setting.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
the biggest reason i jailbreak is for sbsettings. would love to see these toggles in iOS 5 very much.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008

Worst. Post. Ever.

WiFi, BT, and Push email have to be managed many times a day to preserve battery.

I use a JB tweak called SBSchedule which allows me to build settings profiles that can be activated with one touch of any button I choose. I have profiles for:

Home: WiFi on, BT off, Brightness medium, volume, medium, Push off, etc.
Normal: WiFi off, BT off, Brightness high, volume high, Push off, etc.
Sleep: WiFi off, 3G off, Brightness low, volume, low, Push off, etc.
Motorcycle: WiFi off, BT on, Push on, Brightness high, etc.

and several more...

I activate these profiles many times a day as I move to different environments. Saves a bundle of time.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
no sense. please pack and back to your planet.

Meh, I don't have use for the Stocks and Weather widgets lol So you go back to YOUR planet! :D

But yeah, just as the Stocks and Weather widgets have the option to hide them (as far as i know), so should the Wifi/Bluetooth etc toggles.

That way everyone can be happy.

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
Meh, I don't have use for the Stocks and Weather widgets lol So you go back to YOUR planet! :D

But yeah, just as the Stocks and Weather widgets have the option to hide them (as far as i know), so should the Wifi/Bluetooth etc toggles.

That way everyone can be happy.

Well, i was reading about your planet on Wikipedia, and it seems 99% of your people agree that weather is a kind of information that should be acessed when 1) the user wants to know it (before going out or planning activities) 2) the user want to be alerted when forecast changes during the day (becose planningss).

As for stocks, people using iOS in your planet would likely to open it once in a year, because their poor precision when they're trying to touch another icon in a hurry (***** again!?! why i cannot rid of this ******* icon!)

acoustic-

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011

I'm sorry, but you're taking this know-it-all tone with everyone when you are the one that's wrong, and it's getting annoying.

If wifi is on, it is constantly searching for connections. If you are driving and you have wifi on, then open up maps, it pops up a box before you can even interact with your map that asks you if you want to join a network it's picking up as you drive by a few houses with wifi.

Also..it won't affect you at all. People are asking for the OPTION of having this easily available. Keep it set to off so your brain doesn't explode.

The LPT

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
They could easily fit toggles in the big open space above the task switcher. SBSettings fills up about 3/4 of the screen when activated, which oddly enough, roughly the same amount of open space above the task switcher

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Well, i was reading about your planet on Wikipedia, and it seems 99% of your people agree that weather is a kind of information that should be acessed when 1) the user wants to know it (before going out or planning activities) 2) the user want to be alerted when forecast changes during the day (becose planningss).

As for stocks, people using iOS in your planet would likely to open it once in a year, because their poor precision when they're trying to touch another icon in a hurry (***** again!?! why i cannot rid of this ******* icon!)

Hahaha.

On my planet, Apple (Yahoo + Weather Channel) weather is not as accurate for my area as the WeatherEye from TheWeatherNetwork. Plus, they don't have "Feels like" temperatures, as far as I know. Did they add that yet? Then I'll use it.. maybe...

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
It would be cool to have brightness, wifi, and 3G switches somewhere more quickly accessible than in 2 separate menus deep in settings.

There's two scenarios I work in, when I care about battery life, or when I want to be maxed.

Those are the things I play with if I am trying to conserve power, especially brightness.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It would be cool to have brightness, wifi, and 3G switches somewhere more quickly accessible than in 2 separate menus deep in settings.

There's two scenarios I work in, when I care about battery life, or when I want to be maxed.

Those are the things I play with if I am trying to conserve power, especially brightness.

Yeah brightness would be good too. They added it to the iPad, but I guess they figured iPhones would see less use of the brightness control. But they should have added it anyway, because it's easy to add lol.

I would imagine it takes more code to hide it on the iPhone and show it on the iPad than it does to just show it on both.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Often

I turn wifi off all the time as it constantly tries to join new networks which then in turn affect whatever I am doing internet wise when I prefer it to just stay on 3g

rootyb

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2009
or atleast the option to include them. As well as airplane mode. These would make it much nicer. Another nice thing to add would be not closing the damn app store and showing downloads in notification area. The closing of the app store after every click on download is probably the most annoying thing about the iphone.

Especially when re-downloading a bunch of apps in a row from the "Purchased" section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.