Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
99% of people who have a vehicle (in US) use the DMV of some sort in some capacity, there's also no huge organized outcry about the DMV system on the news or newspapers and so forth with anyone coming out to calm the masses or do something to actually address much of how things are done at the DMV, however, since something on the order of 99% of people use it year after year that must mean that the majority of them are satisfied with it all. ;)

There are all kinds of ways to look at all kinds of numbers, but the actually meaningful ways are the ones that use the numbers for what those numbers were actually designed for.

I see, so rather than combat everybody's post who feels positive about iOS7 by coming up with scenarios as to why much of the 87% adopters may not be happy, why don't you just come out and say you don't like it. It's pretty obvious. :p

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
You can talk all you want in generalities, but the numbers would say otherwise. "Good" is, of course, subjective. But in the context of previous iOS upgrades, iOS 7 is right in line with the record set by iOS 6. That doesn't happen when there is significant consumer backlash. Look at Windows.
OK, I'll look at Windows.

Did Microsoft automatically download an installer for Windows 8 to people's machines capable of installing it? (an installer that could not be deleted and would only be removed if they installed Win8)

Did Microsoft provide a fix for an SSL bug that required users to upgrade to Windows 8 in order to get it?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I see, so rather than combat everybody's post who feels positive about iOS7 by coming up with scenarios as to why much of the 87% adopters may not be happy, why don't you just come out and say you don't like it. It's pretty obvious. :p
It's interesting how the discussion keeps on being turned to how good or bad it is or what people feel about it when the main point of what I and various others have been trying to surface is that this article and the numbers it refers to aren't about that.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
By that logic, since Windows 8 is selling better than Windows 7 did, does that mean more people like Windows 8 too?

Seriously, that's terrible logic.

I think you misunderstood what he said. He didn't say more people like ios7, he said if it's on that percentage of devices, it's clearly not a failure. Nothing wrong with his logic.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
This really is nothing short of amazing. And more amazing is how, as predicted, all the hyperbole about how crappy the new look iOS 7 was really just that - hyperbole.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
This really is nothing short of amazing. And more amazing is how, as predicted, all the hyperbole about how crappy the new look iOS 7 was really just that - hyperbole.

Other than the tab reloading, I really don't have any complaints about it. Looks is so subjective and it's impossible to please everyone. I know people that don't like the looks of Ferrari's and Lamborghini's but the sight and sound of one makes my heart race.

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
USA
Time for Change

I love Apple as much as the next guy. I own all their products... But something's gotta give. Enough with the plain boring iOS. It's 2014 - I want widgets, more customization, less limits. Sure it's nice to have some simplicity and I know Apple is looking to be the least like Android OS as possible, but enough is enough. Stop releasing the same freakin OS and just changing the color scheme/icons....

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Other than the tab reloading, I really don't have any complaints about it. Looks is so subjective and it's impossible to please everyone. I know people that don't like the looks of Ferrari's and Lamborghini's but the sight and sound of one makes my heart race.

I am a little frustrated with how many reboots and safari crashes happen, but 7.1 has been a significant upgrade in that aspect. I'm hoping iOS 8 stabilizes a little more.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Uhh yes. They do relate to how good it is. People wouldn't upgrade if it sucked.
Except you're force fed the new version if you want new hardware. There isn't enough much choice in the matter to draw any real conclusions. If my 5C and Air could have come with iOS 6, they'd be on iOS 6 right now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like you might have missed quite a bit of the discussion that happened in all the pages of this thread so far.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Except you're force fed the new version if you want new hardware. There isn't enough much choice in the matter to draw any real conclusions. If my 5C and Air could have come with iOS 6, they'd be on iOS 6 right now.

What new phone from anywhere can you easily downgrade to an older OS? Also, I bet fewer than 30% of that 87% is due to new hardware. Most people upgraded the software because they wanted ios7. Some may have done it without knowing but there was so much media around it last fall I have a really hard time believing that most people did it unwillingly.

henzpwnapple

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
"We'll be launching iOS8 this Dec. It's going to be the iOS6 version of iOS7. So functional, so innovative."

Clap-Clap-Clap off stage. :p

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Why can't MR publish an article without feeling the need to include some lame statistical comparison to Android (or whomever they feel insecure about)?

It really not necessary, as the information presented about iOS is what the article is about. The need to compare themselves to Android serves what purpose?

More "Rah! Rah!, Apple is best" propoganda.

It's compared to Android because this is a statistic intended for developers, the same developers who need to decide if they want to support iOS, Android, or both.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
So much for being a fail... eat that haters.

"it could have been 90% if they didn't do blah and blah" :rolleyes:

If there's one thing Apple is good at - its getting people to adopt new systems quick. They've rarely had issues doing that in the last decade or so.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
People just don't like change or upgrading OS if they're not required to. Therefore there is still nearly 30% of all computers running Windows XP, a whole 13 years after its introduction (including my company! :mad:).

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I still am surprised to read the comments in this thread (or previous threads with the same argument) I'm not saying these metrics clearly show that people like iOS7 over iOS6 but from any number of polls from various sites the results come back the same, people prefer iOS 7. (i posted something similar to this earlier)

Poll: People overwhelmingly prefer iOS 7 design to iOS 6
http://bgr.com/2013/08/07/ios-7-design-poll-polar/

Having said that, i don't blame people who don't like iOS7, its def their opinion. In fact if some of the members who have stated that they "hate iOS 7" "never switching from iOS 6" could expand upon why the hate it so much? I think I even read someone who said the "hate it with a passion". Wow, did it slap your mother around or something? goodness lol

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I want a better shift/capslock key on the iOS 7 keyboard, but other than that, I'm very happy with OS 7. I don't even remember what my other initial complaints were when iOS 7 came out (they were few, anyway). If I had the option of downgrading to iOS 6, I would not even consider doing so. I still run iOS 6 on my old iPhone 4S but that's because of a fear of system slow-downs. If it was an iPhone 5, I'd use iOS 7 on it, gladly. For all the talk of UI, iOS 7 was a major feature release, and I use those new features every day. Are you 7-haters telling us you don't?

The WOPR

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
If one goes on the App Store with an iPhone 3, almost everything in the App Store isn't supported anymore. Only a small amount give an option to download an older version with 4.2.1 support.

I still use my old iPhone 3G on 4.2.1 with the TuneIn Radio app and a pair of speakers almost everyday. At this point the old Apps that still work, I already have. No new apps are being released with 4.2.1 support, so connecting to the App Store with an iPhone 3G or an original is almost pointless.

This is a good point. Older devices that are unable to install the newer IOS releases are essentially "end of lifed" and therefore not counted in the "percentage of devices running IOS X" statistics. This is a way for Apple to make their numbers look good while pretending the millions of older devices they have sold in previous years no longer exist. I don't know what that number is.

I'm not saying its good or bad, but I always look at statistics critically because they are usually used to tell a story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.