iOS 7 B4 Improvement in Battery Life

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by emckai, Jul 29, 2013.

1. emckai, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

emckai macrumors regular

Beta 4 has only been out for 11 hours so far, but has anyone experienced improved battery life?

After the OTA was done from Beta 3 -> Beta 4 honestly it feels like my battery life is much better. What do you guys think? Is your battery life still the same? Is it much improved? Or just a disaster?

EDIT:

If you have any tips or tricks to improve battery life, it would be appreciated by everyone in the community if you could post what settings you changed or if you changed anything in general.
    Thanks!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17646737#post17646737

My Settings:
    Background App Refresh is turned OFF
    Location Services (Weather is turned off) (Seems to always update even though background refresh is OFF)
    System Services - Everything is OFF except for Cell Network Search (Mobile Network Search)
    Mail - Set to Fetch - Manual
    Reduce Motion - ON

iOS 5: Understanding Location Services
    Each service in 'System Services' are self-explanatory.

Cell Network Search will enable your device to pick up the best Cell Tower. (In theory, better reception = better battery life)
    Compass Calibration Supposed to help with True North and Magnetic North (Not sure)
    Diagnostics & Usages May collect data on your location to better help Apple with the Diagnostic & Usage logs (Not sure)
    Location-Based iAds Uses your location to display the proper advertisement by Advertisers
    Popular Near Me What apps are popular in your area (You might need to enable Location Services also)
    Setting Time Zone If you travel a lot, you should have this function enabled. It constantly updates to set the correct Time Zone.
    Traffic Has not effected the Maps application (Might have something to do with the notification section)
    Wi-Fi Networking Similar to Cell Network Search but for WiFi. Currently not widely used in the United States, but places such as South Korea use this function a lot. It will determine which WiFi connection is stronger and connect to that WiFi.
    Frequent Locations Used to determine your Traffic time to a certain destination (Updates occasionally)

Go to General -> Accessibility -> Reduce Motion -> ON
    You will not get the 3D effect on the Homescreen which is known to cause some battery drain issues.

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

100 % after 3hrs of standby and 7min usage.
    OTA from B3, iPhone 5.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

7 minutes of usage lol

4. fireitfox macrumors newbie

81% after usage 1 hr 15 mins and Standby 2 hrs 48 mins
    iPhone 5 iOS 7 beta 4 OTA

5. emckai thread starter macrumors regular

That's not that bad if you compared your battery life with beta 1 -> beta 3

6. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

A lot of music, some gaming, tapatalk.

I OTA'd beta 4 and I think the battery life has been phenomenal!

Attached Files:

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yep, a lot of music. I could get amazing battery life too if I listened to a lot of music.

8. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

I went for a nap :)

9. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Well why don't you then :). Listening to music, Safari, texting and gaming are the things that I do the most on my phone, and that's what those 8 hours consists of. So if I can get good battery life while doing those things, go me!

10. emckai thread starter macrumors regular

I've never gotten more than 8 hours on my iPhone 5 even with iOS 6 I think.. Maybe I have a defective phone you guys lol..

Wasn't the cause of the battery drain from previous Betas due to the login of applications or something? App store, facebook, twitter, etc? I'm just guessing Apple might have fixed that issued related to those applications?

11. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Full charge before noon, got 6 hours of usage, 15 hours standby on my 5, not bad, about the same as my old 4s.

If I just used it inside the house to play music and internet I would imagine yeah, probably would get over 8 hours.

Seems they are really working hard to get this done by early September.

12. emckai thread starter macrumors regular

Already wondering what they have in store for the next betas, but thats for a different post.
    Before on previous betas when I'm on LTE the battery would drain like crazy (think it was due to location services always running the background) Seems like now on LTE everything is running smoothly. The battery would probably be running even better on WiFi.

Well tomorrow I have some summer classes so I'll post a screenshot of the battery usage around the end of the day. Most likely I'll be using Internet (twitter, facebook, etc), texting, and phone calls.

13. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

Seriously? 8 hours is nothing. Your phone should last 18-24 hours (obviously I don't know your usage pattern).

14. emckai thread starter macrumors regular

There is a difference between Usage and Standby.
    Of course you could get 24 hours+ with your phone on Standby, but most phones out there are limited to 8-15 hours of usage depending on which phone you actually have. Correct me if I'm wrong.

15. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

18-24 hours of standby maybe, but not usage.

16. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

This, without listening to music at all. Just apps, games, videos and stuff.

Attached Files:

17. Menel, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Okish. Used more hunting for new features and tweaks and posting since loading the new OS yesterday.

But still averaging just short of 10% batt for 1hr usage (close* to 11%), +a lump of standby.

Acceptable for a beta OS. Quite remarkable really considering how much more the GPS is being hit than on iOS6.

[​IMG]

*edit typo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

18. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

This is all video playback (+whatsapp,imessage,few phone calls,mails,fb in between)... i would say its wonders (and i am comparing directly with my usage before update)

Attached Files:

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

Maybe on your old Nokia 3310!

5-6 hours tops for me ob any iPhone i ever had.
    The iOS7 usage indicator seems to be a little off though, it claims 7h of usage when i was actually at work during that time.

20. skandas macrumors newbie

Battery drain ios 7 4

It seems to be opposite in my case. I had a pretty decent battery life with ios 7 beta 3 and have a horrible battery drain with beta 4. I have turned off all possible things - backgroud refresh, location services, auto updates, etc. Still seems to drain off pretty fast and the phone gets hotter.

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Battery looking good on beta 4. Usage 9 hours and Standby 20 hours.

22. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

The only setting that I turned off after a clean install was bluetooth. Everything else is on. I have been intentionally gaming hard to test the battery out. Angry Birds, Pocket Planes, listening to music, phone calls, texting and emails. I also set fetch to hourly. Better than any of the other three beta's for sure. Should end up at around 7 hours of usage when its all said and done today, heavy usage for me that is. Normally I get around 10 hours of light usage with my iphone 5 running 6.4. I would say that with everything on this is impressive.

Attached Files:

23. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

I've been getting about 7-8 hours of usage and about 10 hours or so of stand by since Beta 3. and my phone is used heavily for web browsing, apps and a few games. excluding the constant texting.

24. pottyvick macrumors regular

I've used facebook, light gaming, and some browsing. Also a few music streaming...

Attached Files:

25. Designed4Mac macrumors 6502

Designed4Mac

Done OTA update last night. Left phone on charge all night. Got up at 4.30 this morning, by 5am was on 77%. By 9.30am 22%, by 10am, dead as a dodo.

In that 5 1/2 hours i could have cooked an egg on it as it was that hot.

Got home from work at 4.30, straight on the Mac for a fresh install. Nearly 5 hours later on standby and this is what i've got and its as cool as a cucumber :)

Attached Files: