iOS 7 is the worst version of iOS to date.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I know, you Apple fanboys are going to yell because "it's only a beta", but I've had enough. I've had an iPhone since the original, and I expected a large change this year, but this is ridiculous. The changes they made are HORRID. Apart from Control Center, every single change is for the worse. They favored design over usability in MANY cases and the design is still the ugliest user interface on a large scale mass-market operating system since Windows 2000. It is honestly terrible. This is coming from someone who used to love Apple, it is horrible. I'm downgrading to iOS 6, waiting for my upgrade and going to Android. The icons look horrible, too much white, the homescreen looks like crap, there isn't enough distinction between different lines, notification center is for NOTIFICATIONS, not the calendar.
Just no.
Jony Ive: THIS SUCKS.
Apple knows how to do great things but like any other company, sometimes they mess with a good recipe. This bad iOS as it's documented everywhere is not a surprise to me.

When OS X came out, it was elegant and through 10.1 and 10.2 it just kept on improving while still keeping out "everything and the kitchen sink" concept of Microbloat Windows. However, starting with 10.3 and worse each time, OS X dropped the ball much like some say iOS7 is doing now. While I like the hardware of Apple much better, I give kudos to Windows 7 as being better than the current OS X monstrosities. I could say, as an Apple fan boy, that it got bad because Steve is not here anymore, but the ugly nasty work that OS X had become was terrible while Steve was still around and running Apple.

What fanboys and fangirls got right was predicting that if Apple ever cashed in on their rising popularity after the great iMac, they could fall into the trap of a Microsoft or Dell and start losing quality and innovation. On some level that is what happened so don't be so down on iOS7, it's just the evolution of what a big company does after it gets complacent.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I used the beta from the day of WWDC through until this morning.

I'm not a huge fan of the UI, it's just too much change for me. Still, no threats of "leaving" to go to Android and no new threads to have a rant. I prefer iOS as it is and will simply remain on iOS 6.

However, I understand that when my upgrade is due next year, my new iPhone will come with iOS 7 pre-installed. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

joneun

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
I used the beta from the day of WWDC through until this morning.

I'm not a huge fan of the UI, it's just too much change for me. Still, no threats of "leaving" to go to Android and no new threads to have a rant. I prefer iOS as it is and will simply remain on iOS 6.

However, I understand that when my upgrade is due next year, my new iPhone will come with iOS 7 pre-installed. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Why don't they just make iOS 7 on their new phones, or cheaper phones and then keep iOS 6 on the real iPhones?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Well, advance word on iOS 7 was that it was going to be polarizing. I guess that's turned out to be true.

Of course it's an early beta. I have a feeling even for people who aren't thrilled with it now, after using the GM for a month in the fall iOS 6 will look dated and tired.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
I'd love someone to list out the areas where there is lost functionality purely because of aesthetic design. Just because someone might not care for the aesthetic doesn't mean Apple focused on form over function.
People aren't complaining about lost functionality. People like the new functionality. People are complaining because they can't get the new functionality without aesthetic design changes that they hate, either because these changes reduce usability or because they don't fit their style. Before you discount the latter, consider that some people paid $500 for the iPhone in part because the hardware and software (IOS6) fit their style.

There are hundreds of posts on this forum discussing how the changes negatively impact usability, but here are a few highlights:

1. The new font is more difficult to read, especially on many photo backgrounds.
2. By replacing buttons with text, it is less clear which text elements are buttons.
3. More animations and longer animations delay (slow) the display of screens and applications.
4. Without a drop shadow, the icons blend in with photo backgrounds and are difficult to discern.
5. In some cases, information was removed in favor of white space.
6. It is more difficult to differentiate some icons at a glance.

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
I know, you Apple fanboys are going to yell because "it's only a beta", but I've had enough. I've had an iPhone since the original, and I expected a large change this year, but this is ridiculous. The changes they made are HORRID. Apart from Control Center, every single change is for the worse. They favored design over usability in MANY cases and the design is still the ugliest user interface on a large scale mass-market operating system since Windows 2000. It is honestly terrible. This is coming from someone who used to love Apple, it is horrible. I'm downgrading to iOS 6, waiting for my upgrade and going to Android. The icons look horrible, too much white, the homescreen looks like crap, there isn't enough distinction between different lines, notification center is for NOTIFICATIONS, not the calendar.
Just no.
It's only the 1st beta

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Can somebody, ANYBODY who think the icons and new look of iOS are "childish" or "amateur", please post something you have created that you think looks better? Seriously. I will bet my grandmother that not one person can come up with an icon that is not universally accepted as being perfect.
I think that for the first time since it's creation, the iPhone has an OS that is in harmony with its sleek industrial design. I couldn't disagree more with the OP - I think it (has the potential to be) the best version iOS to date.

I'm not sure if there's an "Atlantic Divide" in who likes it and who doesn't. I think it definitely looks a lot more European now - a little bit like something Alberto Antoniazzi might come up with.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of some proper graphic designers - I'm talking cutting edge designers not just "I designed a poster for a school concert" designers. Also from other high profile aesthetes. I love the new look and although I know that a geek forum is not the best place to gauge what looks good, I'm surprised to see so many people hate it.

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
the beta is garbage. epic garbage. its too buggy for me to do anything with. and it lags. lacking the signature aplple fluidness. to hell with it until the final release. i do like the new look though.
Are you on a 5? My five doesn't lag at all and works well. My 4 would lag during keyboard entry and few other places but was usable.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
To me, it's so close to android look and feel that there is really no reason for me not to move to the S4 or One for a larger screen and such.. Actually there are a lot if features android has above iOS that I want. Apple is basically turning my hand. Such an odd move to alienate their base like this.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Can somebody, ANYBODY who think the icons and new look of iOS are "childish" or "amateur", please post something you have created that you think looks better? Seriously. I will bet my grandmother that not one person can come up with an icon that is not universally accepted as being perfect. .
That's as ridiculous as telling a sports fan who criticises their favourite teams players for making a mistake to go on the pitch and do better, something that happens every week at grounds across the world. Absolutely idiotic analogy.

It doesn't matter if someone can or cannot create or do better, as customers there are people don't like iOS 7's design. Are you daft enough to suggest that if you aren't in the profession of anything you buy a product of that you cannot not like it? Aye very good ..

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
People aren't complaining about lost functionality. People like the new functionality. People are complaining because they can't get the new functionality without aesthetic design changes that they hate, either because these changes reduce usability or because they don't fit their style. Before you discount the latter, consider that some people paid $500 for the iPhone in part because the hardware and software (IOS6) fit their style.

There are hundreds of posts on this forum discussing how the changes negatively impact usability, but here are a few highlights:

1. The new font is more difficult to read, especially on many photo backgrounds.
2. By replacing buttons with text, it is less clear which text elements are buttons.
3. More animations and longer animations delay (slow) the display of screens and applications.
4. Without a drop shadow, the icons blend in with photo backgrounds and are difficult to discern.
5. In some cases, information was removed in favor of white space.
6. It is more difficult to differentiate some icons at a glance.
I don't agree with any of those. On the 4s and 5 the icons actually look like they are floating to me. I'm not sure what animations people are talking about but I thought ios6 had more then what we have in 7

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Can somebody, ANYBODY who think the icons and new look of iOS are "childish" or "amateur", please post something you have created that you think looks better? Seriously. I will bet my grandmother that not one person can come up with an icon that is not universally accepted as being perfect.
Huh?!? What are you liking about?

There are at least 20-30 forum threads where members (including professional graphic designers) have criticized the icons and posted suggested alternatives. Here's of one of the threads:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1596004

BvizioN

macrumors 601
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

There are at least 20-30 forum threads where members (including professional graphic designers) have criticized the icons and posted suggested alternatives. Here's of one of the threads:

Like I have already said, there would be a murder if Apple did come up with something like any of these ameture concepts flying around here.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Just no.
Basically this is what you just said.

"Hello everyone, I bought the first iPhone, so I feel as if I have credit to these many opinions im about to spew forth. Btw I know this is a beta, and I don't care, I want to complain anyway. Are you ready? Here it goes.

Opinion opinion opinion, opinion opinion opinion. Opinion opinion OPINION opinion opinion. Opinion opinion opinion, opinion opinion opinion. Opinion opinion OPINION opinion opinion. Opinion opinion opinion, opinion opinion opinion. Opinion opinion OPINION opinion opinion. Opinion opinion opinion, opinion opinion opinion. Opinion opinion OPINION opinion opinion. Opinion opinion opinion, opinion opinion opinion. Opinion opinion OPINION opinion opinion. OPINION OPINIONOPINIONOPINIONOPINIONOPINION."

Thanks,

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Well, they weren't lying when they said it would be polarising.

Also, you should try to limit your reactions a little bit. This is only 3/4 of iOS7: the rest is going to be unveiled with the iPhone 5S (like it is with every new OS).

We still haven't seen how these changes translate to the iPad.

The UI is bound to be significantly tweaked following feedback during the Beta period. Apple aren't driven by focus groups, but they do listen to their users feedback. For example, I expect several icons to be changed following reaction that they're just ugly.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
OP has serious issues.

I want to downgrade to iOS 6.

And move to Android.

Why not just move to Android NOW?

I heard there is tons of unsold Galaxy S4s in carrier stores near you. With all the 'innovative and beautiful' Android 4.2 software loaded all up for you.
You can play with the bubbles on ur wallpaper too. How nice! And you can hear the extremely cutesy cling! when you move ur finger across the lock screen.
How about looking at your own face whenever u want to unlock the screen?

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008

Terribly sorry - that already seems to have been pushed to page three. As for the alternatives - the vast majority seem to be variations of the new icons that do little to change anything. The first one looks w4nk.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
That's as ridiculous as telling a sports fan who criticises their favourite teams players for making a mistake to go on the pitch and do better, something that happens every week at grounds across the world. Absolutely idiotic analogy.

It doesn't matter if someone can or cannot create or do better, as customers there are people don't like iOS 7's design. Are you daft enough to suggest that if you aren't in the profession of anything you buy a product of that you cannot not like it? Aye very good ..
My analogy or your? As there was nothing analogical in my post, I'm guessing you meant yours. But if you want to use that analogy; if you ever listen to Radio 5, you'll know that after every match hundreds of fans call in to not just say "Team X was cr4p" - they (usually) give reasoned thinking and suggest alternative tactics and formations of how, if they were manager, they would have played the game. Whether they are right or wrong isn't the point - it's called constructive criticism.

As for your second paragraph - no, I'm not saying that.

Last edited:

Alphaforcex

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I am a developer and I recently bought an android phone for development. Does the op seriously thinks android really looks much better? The stock icons to me are way worst.

But like anyone else point out, it's a free world and feel free to switch as you like. I just don't know if the grasses are greener on the other side but you won't know until you try. I forced myself to use the android phone as my main phone and there are something I like better on android but at the end of the day, I still prefer the ip5.

joneun

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
They keep making more threads because they keep getting locked for no reason.

And Macrumors may need to get more moderators because the influx of negative reactions to iOS7 is coming.