iOS 7 is the worst version of iOS to date.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The big issue is that for the most part all apple did was reskin the OS. What it really needed was features like widgets, custom keyboards, file system access, an interapp sharing api like androids, and a better way to organize your home screens. (desktops plus a seperate app drawer with all apps in abc order) The all icons having to be on the desktop is a complete mess of clutter and makes it difficult to find rarely used apps.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
The big issue is that for the most part all apple did was reskin the OS. What it really needed was features like widgets, custom keyboards, file system access, an interapp sharing api like androids, and a better way to organize your home screens. (desktops plus a seperate app drawer with all apps in abc order) The all icons having to be on the desktop is a complete mess of clutter and makes it difficult to find rarely used apps.
Are you a software develop or have you talked to some and do they agree that this was just a re-skin without improved functionality? What exactly then are the 1500 new APIs Federighi mentioned in the keynote?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Are you a software develop or have you talked to some and do they agree that this was just a re-skin without improved functionality? What exactly then are the 1500 new APIs Federighi mentioned in the keynote?
All back end stuff. 1500 new APIs is actually not much for an operating system update. Between android 2.3 and 4.0 there were over 3000 new API's and thousands more changed. The issue is that apple left all of these things out in the initial release of iOS so its now much harder to implement them. Android and windows phone implemented these things in version 1 so they are tightly integrated into the ecosystem. The android sharing engine(called intents) is extremely powerful and the percentage of apps that implement it is gigantic.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
All back end stuff. 1500 new APIs is actually not much for an operating system update. Between android 2.3 and 4.0 there were over 3000 new API's and thousands more changed. The issue is that apple left all of these things out in the initial release of iOS so its now much harder to implement them. Android and windows phone implemented these things in version 1 so they are tightly integrated into the ecosystem. The android sharing engine(called intents) is extremely powerful and the percentage of apps that implement it is gigantic.
This belies the actual nature of development for each platform. It's really far easier and a more enjoyable experience to develop for iOS, and there are plenty of new APIs in iOS 7 that surpass Android. It's a powerful system.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
This belies the actual nature of development for each platform. It's really far easier and a more enjoyable experience to develop for iOS, and there are plenty of new APIs in iOS 7 that surpass Android. It's a powerful system.
According to what? You can do so much more with android. Android is also open source which allows you to really dig down deep and understand how things really work.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Agreed. In addition to iOS, I've been programming Android and WP8 / WinRT too. Android has TONS of GREAT API's and is MUCH more powerful in every respect. (And it doesn't artificially force programmers to target only iOS4.3+ hardware, practically making even devices that were actually in sale by Apple as late as Sept/2010 - in Android, you can support even the earliest, 1.6 handsets from the same app as 4.2.) Even WinRT is definitely more powerful than even iOS7 - see for example the absolutely excellent "snap" dual-window (pane) mode.

Compared to what Android (and even WindowsRT) is capable of as of 4.2.2, the new API's and features in iOS7 are pretty pathetic.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
According to what? You can do so much more with android. Android is also open source which allows you to really dig down deep and understand how things really work.
For certain you can actually DO MORE, but development is a joy on iOS compared to Android. Apple really gives you all the tools you need and simplifies some stuff like adding a physics engine to your app. I haven't used the new Android Studio, but I get the impression that the development environments aren't on par with each other yet.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
For certain you can actually DO MORE, but development is a joy on iOS compared to Android. Apple really gives you all the tools you need and simplifies some stuff like adding a physics engine to your app. I haven't used the new Android Studio, but I get the impression that the development environments aren't on par with each other yet.
If you actually use the xml layouts and use actions bars/preference activities like your supposed to developing an app for android is extremely simple. The people that have issues are the ones that try to port the UI's of their ios apps to be identical. When you create a preference activity all you have to do is an xml file with the list of preferences you want and categories. Android takes care of creating the settings UI and setting and storing the preferences into the apps shared preferences storage. I figured all of this out in less than a day by just reading the google developer website and screwing around in the developer environment.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
the beta is garbage. epic garbage. its too buggy for me to do anything with. and it lags. lacking the signature aplple fluidness. to hell with it until the final release. i do like the new look though.
That's special. Absolutely flies on my iPhone 5.

----------

Yes, 5. Most people are too dull to see the details.
Perhaps, by dull, you are referring to your inability to capitalize in your original post?

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
"You can do so much more..." - possibly, and that is only IF you can find the menu you need, and decrypt the geek-esque terminology or navigate the confused UI hierarchy, further confused by how many custom versions of Android OS are available on vendor's handsets.

Question for you: How many real life users of Android phones, CARE how it works? Do I care how iOS frameworks work? Yes, I am a geek, but I don't care down to the C/C++/Obj-C level, so why would I expect the man in the street to care?

How many people who get on the subway, care how it works? Train fanatics care, but do you need to understand the power distribution and braking systems to ride the subway? Of course not.

"You can do so much more" - optimistic, but with the sheer number of devices, specs and Android revisions out there, it seems that the potential is GREAT, but the execution is abysmal.

It may be said that Android "is open" - but if I leave my front door open, is that a good thing for me? I think not. Android is a great technical marvel, but also an absolute, horrendous mess.

----------

You need to be nice to us dull people.

It's not easy being dull.

When you're incredibly sharp and smart...it must be so hard to put up with us dullards.

Try to be patient...

:rolleyes:
You made me LOL :D :p

TwoBytes

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2008
Some ios 7 features are good but it didn't need a makeover to be better than ios 7. The makeover was style over functionality. To top it off, the style is confusing compared to other versions. All other ios versions I've thought 'I can navigate that' at a first look. Ios 7 looks like a mess. The icons look like they were made for 6 year olds too...

Bring back functionality,calendar with a preview pane, weather icons instead of an essay in the notification centre.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Such shallow opinions some folk seem to have. Maybe try and watch the WWDC 2013 session videos, and understand Apple's thinking, by listening to what the engineers say about why/what was done. Basing it off surface appearances as a whole, umbrella opinion is just impossible, possibly ignorant.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
the beta is garbage. epic garbage. its too buggy for me to do anything with. and it lags. lacking the signature aplple fluidness. to hell with it until the final release. i do like the new look though.
You were running beta software in the true sense of the word rather than the google sense.

The lag and bugs are standard in betas, especially beta one. In fact for a beta it's remarkably stable. The final release should be fine though.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Widgets?

No thanks. Turned them off in Android.

Custom keyboards?

No. Again the idea of something uniform makes support easier.

File system access?

I'd like it but most users wouldn't care. But I can get that with a JB.

Inter-app sharing API...

BINGO now that would be very useful indeed. But isn't going to happen. A shame because I'd rather be using Agile Software's excellent 1Password app rather than iCloud Keychain and if it integrated into mobile safari and other apps to fill my passwords in, just WOW.

A better way to organise your screens?

An a-z listing would be nice, I agree, but otherwise folders work quite well.

I've used Android (both Samsung and Nexus releases), and Windows Phone, as well as iPhoneOS/iOS (versions 2.0-7.0ß1)

And of the three, Android is the most user unfriendly. iOS and Windows Phone are far better as they have a consistent UI across all devices.

Long term I could easily see WP catching up in sales terms. It's a remarkably capable OS and with the Nokia Lumia handsets, you get a genuine quality product.

That said, my preference is iOS. 7 is going to take a bit of getting used to but that's ok. It's a major change.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I am sick and tired of people complaining about iOS 7. The majority of you whom "hate" the new design asked Apple for change, and its like as soon as you get your change, and your wishes for quick toggles, and true multitasking, and apps to be updated in the background etc etc, You all complain, and you complain for the most trivial of reasons. "Oh this iOS is so buggy and laggy" IT'S CALLED A ********* BETA for a REASON. The same reason apps are crashing, and Springboard is crashing, If you aren't an Apple Developer don't install something that isn't meant for YOU. Also complaints about the icons, How "ugly" they look, So WHAT? You all have been complaining for the past 6 revisions of iOS how it is looking DATED, and UGLY, and now because there is a change you want Apple to go and switch it BACK? HECK NO. The icons are perfectly fine, and if you don't like them, or see the vision you can LEAVE. I am pretty sure this design can attract people to switch just as much as many of you want to rant and complain about leaving. Go ahead and leave, Apple won't miss you, and I am sure they will gain more people as they move forward. Saying 7.0 is the worst to date is something you are judging from a BETA that has been in use for FOUR DAYS. iOS has MATURED with This release adding features a lot of people have asked for, Animated Wallpapers, Control Center, True Multitasking, Better Weather app, New UI, Quick Toggles, Introduction to File Sharing via AirDrop, Dynamic Clock and Weather icons, The UI is Uniform on the inside, and it doesn't look like a clashing difference like it's past revisions. So Hop off it.
+1.

I'm no fanboy, I use other devices and lately have grown very fond of Windows Phone. But Apple knocked it for six with iOS 7. It addresses many of the issues raised. Some great new functionality and the start of bringing the design aesthetic of the OS back to match the design of the device.

It needs some tweaking, but that's to be expected.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
My analogy or your? As there was nothing analogical in my post, I'm guessing you meant yours. But if you want to use that analogy; if you ever listen to Radio 5, you'll know that after every match hundreds of fans call in to not just say "Team X was cr4p" - they (usually) give reasoned thinking and suggest alternative tactics and formations of how, if they were manager, they would have played the game. Whether they are right or wrong isn't the point - it's called constructive criticism.

As for your second paragraph - no, I'm not saying that.
Your analogy that you need to be able to provide or be of the ability to do better, otherwise shut up is what I was referring to.

Telling those who don't like iOS 7 to come up with something better is ridiculous. It's like telling a sports fan who complains when a player in their team makes a mistake that they should do better themselves or shut up.

You said people complaining should show that they've done. It's ridiculous.

martinocando

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
So you are a user of the first iPhone and haven't purchased a single app from the app store? Or if you do, you are willing to repurchase them again? Go ahead.

I'm sold to the iPhone world, and not much because all the apps I have purchased since my first iPhone (3G), but more for the quality of manufacture, App store offerings, and (now) for its OS :D

zBernie

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
I know, you Apple fanboys are going to yell because "it's only a beta", but I've had enough. I've had an iPhone since the original, and I expected a large change this year, but this is ridiculous. The changes they made are HORRID. Apart from Control Center, every single change is for the worse. They favored design over usability in MANY cases and the design is still the ugliest user interface on a large scale mass-market operating system since Windows 2000. It is honestly terrible. This is coming from someone who used to love Apple, it is horrible. I'm downgrading to iOS 6, waiting for my upgrade and going to Android. The icons look horrible, too much white, the homescreen looks like crap, there isn't enough distinction between different lines, notification center is for NOTIFICATIONS, not the calendar.
Just no.
Jony Ive: THIS SUCKS.

I agree with you completely. And many developers at Apple agree with you -- There was a huge backlash to Jony Ive and his "minimalist" design approach. Do a google search and you will find numerous articles regarding this.

All of the core apps are absolutely hideous. The Phone, Mail, Reminders, Music apps, etc., are all white with small hard to read grey text on the buttons. The button icons look like they were designed by my 4 year old. Anyone who thinks this is an improvement is drunk on Apple juice!

As much as I am entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, I am currently researching how well Android plays with Apple, and so far it's looking promising. I hate iOS 7 so much, and it is such a step backwards in usability, I am seriously considering getting an Android phone.

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I agree with you completely. And many developers at Apple agree with you -- There was a huge backlash to Jony Ive and his "minimalist" design approach. Do a google search and you will find numerous articles regarding this.

All of the core apps are absolutely hideous. The Phone, Mail, Reminders, Music apps, etc., are all white with small hard to read grey text on the buttons. The button icons look like they were designed by my 4 year old. Anyone who thinks this is an improvement is drunk on Apple juice!

As much as I am entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, I am currently researching how well Android plays with Apple, and so far it's looking promising. I hate iOS 7 so much, and it is such a step backwards in usability, I am seriously considering getting an Android phone.
No. Anybody who thinks this is an improvement just has a different opinion than you. I actually like it. Doing a google search doesn't prove your point. It just means you can find others who agree with you if you search by that criteria. If you want to switch to android or another ecosystem that's fine but just because some of us like ios 7 doesn't automatically makes us fanboys and/or wrong. And it's also just a phone.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA

Pff, your 4 year old huh? Attach some designs pics by your child, because I want to see if the little one can replicate Apples designs.

It's clear you don't like the new OS, but others do. Unfortunately (for you), you might be in the vocal minority.

MA-86

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
NO IT ISNT!!! To the contratry, it's the best iteration of iOS to date! Some people really need to learn to embrace the change and live on with the times, new iOS is super slick and modern, functionality has been improved, some customizability has been added, it looks stunning (at least to me) I personally couldnt have been happier with the ios7