Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Looks beautiful, i would love iOS 7 to look something like this.

Not me. Because it still has settings all buried in one place. I think they should go to more of the way Mac OS handles it where app specific settings are in the app and only system wide settings are in the settings app. Which could drop being an app and perhaps be buttons on the task bar. One for networking type things, one for comm accounts and so on. You tap and a Launchpad like control board comes up. Or make it more a folder of mini apps so you are scrolling to heck like system prefs has it. And more local groupings with less in that "general" group. Apple is so keen on how accessible iPhones are but they bury that group under General and a ton of scrolling. ?????

GoGa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
Passcode Entry:
Passcode.png

Last edited:

Homeslice

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2009
I like that it has the feel of webOS to it.

I think your version of the settings menu looks a lot cleaner than the current.

the music app is perfect. like how the menu is at the bottom

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Personally I think these mock-ups look horrible and un-Applelike. But to each their own. :)

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Passcode Entry:

And a animation (the .GIF has weirdly slowed it down, so imagine it twice as fast):

The slider itself I dislike but the bounce (maybe a more subtle effect should be used and that for like when the phone is first booted or something should be used) but the passcode typer I love! It would be great to see apple introduce alternating numbers which ive seen on a few bank apps, where the numbers change around everytime so you can't trace it with fingerprints

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The only thing I don't like about these concepts is the overly bold font for the contact name/app name header.

I was hoping that the font in the invitation was a hint at where Apple was going with iOS 7, a very thin and sharp/modern looking font. Graphically though, the mock ups are superb. Great job.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Nice job, OP. I think you're on the right track based on the rumors we've heard thus far.

I agree with some of the other posters that have said that Settings will have more utility (expose Bluetooth and Wifi toggles at the top level like Airplane mode, etc).

For messages, you're missing some of the common elements that exist today I think are helpful:

• Date and time indicators for the beginning of exchanges
  • Delivered/Read indicators on latest message sent
  • Timestamp on latest message sent

I also wonder if they are interested in adding avatars like Messages on Mac or if they feel it is unnecessary or consumes too much space? Maybe they could add the avatar to the left of the person's name you're texting? These kinds of visual queues are helpful so that you don't message the wrong person, etc.

I would like to see the time stamps on all messages. Plus for groups who a message went to in detail (who and to what number/email). And keep convos together. If I send something to a group it is a pain that reply from one of them goes to a new thread.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Key points:
• iTunes 11 style
• The Now playing button colour changes to the playing songs album art colour.
• New tab bar that gets rid of the visual clutter (this would be used in all apps, not just music). You can swipe left to access the other tabs. You can also tap and hold to change the order of them.

You missed one detail that should be how it is in iTunes 11 as well.

A setting switch to show 'in the cloud' or not without having to go out of the app and dig around in settings. And with that the ability to stream without downloading on music, TV shows and movies.

And with that, if I'm home sharing that shows in the same screen not it's own (cause its essentially just another 'in the cloud')

But otherwise I agree that something more like iTunes 11 is needed for these three groupings.

----------

That is what I'd like to see, more than simple on-off or go to detail for each item in settings surely there is enough screen space to have on-off and go to details for each.

Sorry for butchering the concept but something like this...
SwitchWithDetail

Not a fan. To me it looks clumsy and bulky.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
I'm working on it.
:)

part of me doesn't want to keep on seeing your renditions, because they're so beautiful and simple, and when they reveal iOS 7, I think I'll be underwhelmed because I'll be hoping for something similar to this. hopefully I'm wrong, and Apple blows us all away with a drastic new look.

but seriously you should consider giving Jony Ive a call ;)

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
My first thought was the font is a little too heavy, but after looking at it some more, I think it looks pretty good. The other graphics look great.

I'd be really surprised if the system font changes from Helvetica any time soon. I think Mac OS will eventually be all in Helvetica too.

We've been seeing a trend with lighter weight font recently, but light fonts impact legibility, and ultimately, usability. But I would like to see this design with Helvetica.

Avenir has been tucked away inside both OSX and iOS for at least the last few versions, and has been used in some marketing materials as well. Gizmodo did an article last year covering the evolution of Apple's system fonts, and their conclusion was that all signs point to some version of Avenir in the future. And I agree. It's a beatiful font. One of the things I miss most after giving up my JB.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Avenir has been tucked away inside both OSX and iOS for at least the last few versions, and has been used in some marketing materials as well. Gizmodo did an article last year covering the evolution of Apple's system fonts, and their conclusion was that all signs point to some version of Avenir in the future. And I agree. It's a beatiful font. One of the things I miss most after giving up my JB.

Only since iOS 6, actually.

I've wanted to use Avenir in my app Sterling, but we also target iOS 5. It would be possible to have iOS 5 fall back to something else, but fonts are important and that much visual disparity between versions would be unacceptable.

msz7

macrumors member
May 27, 2013
That's a great lock screen, and it would work well for iPhone 5 and older. I'm hoping the new iPhone has the rumored integrated fingerprint scanner so unlocking your phone with a swipe is just that: no password, just your fingerprint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.