iOS 8.1.1 Mega Thread

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by doublex14, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. doublex14, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited by abhi0n0nakul: Nov 24, 2014

doublex14 macrumors regular

doublex14

This thread is for everything about iOS 8.1.1 whether it be about battery life, performance, or anything related to the newest version of iOS.

This is a wiki, feel free to add hidden features, bugs, and/or improvements.

You do not have to be a registered developer to report bugs to Apple. Here is the bug report link:
    https://bugreport.apple.com/

Improvements:
    • Improved performance on iPhone 4S
    • Improved performance on iPad 2
    • Coverflow scrolling is smoother on iPhone 6 Plus
    • Using Shortcuts no longer lock up Safari
    • Now remembers rearrangement of Safari extensions and actions.
    • Now remembers rearrangement of share sheet options in Photos app
    • Photo metadata is maintained when edited with built-in iOS tools. However; still lost when edited by third party extensions.
    • Wifi drop issue for A7 devices fixed

Hidden Features:

Bugs:
    • In Safari, closing iCloud tabs by swipe to delete does not remove them from the list. They are eventually closed on the remote device. (19012742)
    • When viewing photos in messages, status bar text is still visible.
    • In Weather app, there is still animation lag while changing views
    • On lock screen, still there is a little lag of control center, and in notification center.

2. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Not a wiki thread. Edit original post and select the wiki option.

3. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

Is it fixed?

4. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Nope

Attached Files:

• .png
      .png
      File size:
      288.4 KB
      Views:
  5. sguser macrumors regular

8.1.1 Fixed calendar bug with GMT+4 (Moscow) time-zone events been shown by one hour earlier.

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

OS as a whole is snappier with no delays when selecting apps or buttons.

7. Danley macrumors member

Curious to hear feedback on the 5s... Does this return snappiness to iOS 7 levels?

8. iOS909 macrumors member

Animations seem slightly faster on my iPhone 6, the only issue I've encountered so far is that after I updated, all of my non iTunes store purchased music lost its cover art for whatever reason.

9. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Placebo effect. Animations are definitely the same speed.

10. imagineadam macrumors 65816

What phone are you on? That the first thing I noticed the day I put iOS 8 on my i5! There was a quarter to whole second lag when touching certain apps before they would spring open. I never had that on iOS 7.1.2. Is it really gone and back to normal?!?

11. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Call it anecdotal (in that it's purely my own gut feel), but Safari seems smoother and less laggy on my 5s. The bug where links are not responsive unless I scroll the page first seems to have been gone as well. Will update once I have used my phone more.

12. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

Problems with 8.1.1

I have not had any problems with 8x.x before with my ipad 2, ipad air nor iPhone 6 plus. Now I install the new 8.1.1 update and I get home and start having WIFi drops at random, slowly getting worse. I lost connection on my iPhone 6 plus, and could not connect to my Apple TV (gen 2). I was watching a 2 hour TV show and my show stopped and my connection of my iphone with network stopped completely (airport extreme). I started loosing connection next on my ipad 2 with my airport. But never seemed to loose any connections with my iPad air. So I tinkered an this is what appears to be going on. There is also apple TV update not taking, and my iPad air is connecting by default with my 5 GHz band on airport extreme, and cannot connect to the 2 GHz band it was originally set on. I found that I had to also set my apple Tv and iphone 6 plus to the 5 GHz band and wow the update took instantly on apple TV, my iPhone 6 plus is working fine with my network now (on 5 GHz band only, cannot connect reliably to the old 2 GHz band now). My ipad 2 also needed to connect to the higher 5 GHz bandwidth.

So for some reason my devices (apple TV with new update, iPhone 6 plus with 8.1.1, iPad 2) all now only work on the higher GHz bandwidth of my airport. My iPad air just defaulted to it automatically with update and never lost connection but I had to make the apple TV, iPhone 6 plus and ipad 2 connect to hight 5 GHz band before i got stable (and actually a bit faster internet too)

But I have not had problems til now with any versions of 8.x.x so it is weird for it to start having these issues for me?????

13. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Also, battery life for me 5s seems to be draining faster than before. Hmm...

14. Miguel760 macrumors member

My experience with 8.1.1 has been great. Everything is running how it should be. I just wish they would fix the music app.

15. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Still no wiki...

16. einsteinbqat macrumors regular

einsteinbqat

Did the update badge bug get fixed? Because it doesn't seem after I updated to 811.

17. rodetrip macrumors regular

rodetrip

just updated my i6. everything seems to be running smoothly. it seems alot faster and snappier than 8.1 :)

18. xlost6 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if images still have status bar overlay when opening from messages app?

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

A few hours after the update doesn't mean much when it comes to something like that.

----------

It seems a few people run into something like that off and on with almost any update, so it doesn't seem like an inherent or widespread issue, which means it'd be hard to say if this issue would go away for someone for sure or perhaps might instead even appear for someone.

20. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

So far my safari keyboard hasn't frozen. That was my #1 bug request.

Also, my iPad 3 seems to be running slightly better.

21. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Is this even worth updating outside of the older devices?

22. friednoodles macrumors 6502

Searching the content of PDFs being viewed in Safari still fails - always returns "no matches". This was in the beta but I was hoping it would be fixed for the public release.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why not? Big fixes and security fixes alone would make it worthy. Any potential stability and performance improvements, even if not specifically called out and/or as easily noticeable are an extra bonus.

----------

Just ran into that yesterday with iOS 8.1. Couldn't quite remember if that really ever worked like that from Safari to begin with.

24. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

Wifi is finally fixed
    Keyboard is much more responsive

25. Europa13 macrumors 6502

Please post back with an update in a couple days. I've been having Safari keyboard lockups since September and I just jailbroke a few days ago. I don't want to give up my jailbreak if I'm not sure 8.1.1 fixes the Safari bug. Thanks.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.