Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Any word on the keyboard bug? Sometimes my stock keyboard disappears, and nothing will bring it back except a restart.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
I think a lot of people got that after most switched to iOS 8. What I think a lot of people's concern is over is bringing camera roll back and how that interacts with iCloud photo library.

I don't like seeing camera roll added back because of my family and friends who would be confused after I explained how iCloud photo library works.

why would u like it for? dont u like order? i know theres a ton of messy people that love messes & have questionable logic but..& as said, icloud photo library is just having the photos in the cloud at the same time as the device & they are in sync..thats it..think of camera roll from ios 7, but all those photos also being in icloud

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
The annoying Safari lag is still there, so is the 3 sec lag after call hanging up. Wifi issues still intermittent and present.

Most beta 1's have numerous bugs. File bug reports when possible :)

Can easily see some of these fixed by end of October and chances are some of the things in this beta, at least for the moment, is laying groundwork for Pay

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
I know only a few people had this problem, but 3rd party keyboards work with Guided Access enabled now.

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
why would u like it for? dont u like order? i know theres a ton of messy people that love messes & have questionable logic but..& as said, icloud photo library is just having the photos in the cloud at the same time as the device & they are in sync..thats it..think of camera roll from ios 7, but all those photos also being in icloud

Why would I like what for? I'm against camera roll.

Order? I have over 7,000 photos and videos on my iMac as I'm also an amateur photographer and with iCloud photo library I have a one stop shop for all my photos and videos called recently added.

I take my photos on my iPhone and edit on my iPad or iMac.

My concern is for those I've helped understand how camera roll is gone are now going to be more confused. Having a camera roll on each device that didn't contain all the photos they took regardless of device confused a lot of people I know.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Anyone else find anything interesting?

Would be a shame if this all we get in iOS 8.1.

At least it's just a beta. Maybe future betas will add more.

Well, we got our features in 8.0. I'm hoping that 8.1-8.3 will simply be about bug fixing and enabling the features that are still missing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is no "both". iCloud Photo Library hasn't been released.

----------

No. Yet another person that has absolutely no idea how it works.
One doesn't necessarily imply something about the other.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Anyway to tell if "- New ‘Enable Dictation toggle’ in Settings > General > Keyboards" is for third party keyboards?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Well, we got our features in 8.0. I'm hoping that 8.1-8.3 will simply be about bug fixing and enabling the features that are still missing.

True, but historically the .x (i.e. 4.1/4.2/4.3) updates were not just overall system improvements, but they also add things and tweak others and give us new minor features.

x.x (i.e. 4.2.5, 4.1.2) updates are for bug updates usually.

Last edited:

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
Anyway to tell if "- New ‘Enable Dictation toggle’ in Settings > General > Keyboards" is for third party keyboards?

The dictation toggle is for Siri dictation with the stock keyboard. Dictation for third party keyboards has to be added by their developers.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
True, but historically the .x updates were not overall system improvements and adding things and tweaks and new minor features.

x.x updates are for bug updates usually.
x.x.x are bug updates usually, x.x are feature updates with bug fixes and other things, but usually something new in them as well (even if minor).

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I'm glad they brought back Camera Roll in 8.1. I do not want my photos stored in the cloud unless it's for backup purposes (like iCloud backup) and certainly not automatic uploading (nor do I want to purchase extra space when Box and Dropbox give me a lot for free). What happens when I take a photo on the road? I don't want it to upload automatically and certainly not using my 4G connection (and if you don't have a connection, it needs to be stored locally).

Local is good, the more things that are in the cloud (automatically) the less control you have over them. I'm fine with it for music. Not photos or other personal media.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
One doesn't necessarily imply something about the other.

Yes indeed they do. They are mutually exclusive. Here's why:

Forget your preconceived notions about what the Photos app is supposed to show you.

The Photos App has a Photos tab that shows you......wait for it.......Photos (and videos). Its all of them. Everything your camera has ever taken. You might call it....a CAMERA ROLL.

It also happens to be directly linked and synced to iCloud (assuming the elusive iCloud Photo Library is featured on your device). There is no distinction between whats on your device and what is stored in the Cloud. Delete it, it is deleted. Everywhere. There is no manually managing local and cloud storage separately (nor should there be).

This is finally THE solution (or will be, whenever iCloud Photo Library is rolled to the masses).

And to top it off, there is a genius option to Optimize Device Storage. In this mode, only thumbnails/low resolution copies of photo/video are stored on the device itself, and are instantly "fetched" in full quality from the cloud when you choose to view one.

It doesn't get any better than this. Unfortunately, many iOS 8 users do not even have access to iCloud Photo Library. Apple botched this release by missing the shipping date on this feature. Otherwise, it would be a lot easier to explain to people that they are waiting on a missing feature that completes the puzzle.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Can someone test the bluetooth in their car and report back if Apple has fixed it? There's another thread going, and it seems it broke the factory bluetooth integration in about every major auto manufacturer in existence. Hopefully it's fixed.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
I'm glad they brought back Camera Roll in 8.1. I do not want my photos stored in the cloud unless it's for backup purposes (like iCloud backup) and certainly not automatic uploading (nor do I want to purchase extra space when Box and Dropbox give me a lot for free). What happens when I take a photo on the road? I don't want it to upload automatically and certainly not using my 4G connection (and if you don't have a connection, it needs to be stored locally).

Local is good, the more things that are in the cloud (automatically) the less control you have over them. I'm fine with it for music. Not photos or other personal media.

You can turn off iCloud integration, and at no time does it matter whether or not there is a Album called Camera Roll.

The Photos tab is still ALL YOUR PHOTOS, regardless of whether you sync them to iCloud or not. No, it is not confusing either.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Really unhappy about the return of Camera Roll. All it means is that iCloud Photo Library is no where near launching for everyone. That is terrible.

After today's issue with Reset All Settings deleting iCloud data, would you trust Apple with your most irreplaceable data, photos?

I think they realize they have issues and are re-thinking the implementation. Which is a very good sign. I don't want to see them plow forward and say "OUR WAY OR THE HIGHWAY" and make us depend unreliable cloud storage that you can't back up.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Can someone test the bluetooth in their car and report back if Apple has fixed it? There's another thread going, and it seems it broke the factory bluetooth integration in about every major auto manufacturer in existence. Hopefully it's fixed.

Mine has worked reliably in my Honda since iOS 6.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
ios 8.0 - the heat was around wifi issues & the usual "it sucks, its slow etc"
ios 8.0.1 - the heat was around "apple u suck u broke cellular wifi still sucks etc"
ios 8.0.2 - the heat was around "wifi still broken apple did this & that ios 8 is a mess, my lte is slower than 2g **** u apple etc"
ios 8.1 beta 1 - the heat is all over the camera roll "its dumb bla we dont need it its a double negative its pointless get rid of it bawwww apple is listening to whiners"

ios 8.1 beta 2/final i predict will be centered around..hm..ill say siri. wait no, BATTERY LIFE & SAFARI'S SPEED:rolleyes:

sigh people in current society...getting worse..:rolleyes:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Oh for goodness sake!!! It's not a mystery!!!

iCloud Photo Library is all photos and videos stored locally AND in the cloud. Same stuff, both places, all the time. It works so well that apparently people can't even wrap their head around its simplicity.

You will also have the option to use a brilliant storage optimizing technique to magically free up local space. I won't bother explaining it because people here can't even grasp the basics of how it works.

I think the big issue here is they released iCloud Photo Library before it was really ready. There's no Photos app on OS X, there's no information about how that app will even work.

Apple is so obsessed with keeping a mystery about everything they do that they're confusing everyone as to how iCloud photo library will work.

----------

Why would I like what for? I'm against camera roll.

Order? I have over 7,000 photos and videos on my iMac as I'm also an amateur photographer and with iCloud photo library I have a one stop shop for all my photos and videos called recently added.

I take my photos on my iPhone and edit on my iPad or iMac.

My concern is for those I've helped understand how camera roll is gone are now going to be more confused. Having a camera roll on each device that didn't contain all the photos they took regardless of device confused a lot of people I know.

Supposedly enabling iCloud Photo Library turns "Camera Roll" into "all photos". This is from a post on this thread, a bit ago.

This is the RIGHT WAY to do it. If you don't use iCloud photo library, you get things as they were before. If you do, you get "All Photos" and all your stuff on every device.

For people like me who don't WANT *EVERYTHING* in the cloud, this is the best way. Make it an option.

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
I think the big issue here is they released iCloud Photo Library before it was really ready. There's no Photos app on OS X, there's no information about how that app will even work.

Apple is so obsessed with keeping a mystery about everything they do that they're confusing everyone as to how iCloud photo library will work.

----------

Supposedly enabling iCloud Photo Library turns "Camera Roll" into "all photos". This is from a post on this thread, a bit ago.

This is the RIGHT WAY to do it. If you don't use iCloud photo library, you get things as they were before. If you do, you get "All Photos" and all your stuff on every device.

For people like me who don't WANT *EVERYTHING* in the cloud, this is the best way. Make it an option.

Agree

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Even if Apple Pay is enabled, I don't think it'll be actually usable until the POS systems support it?

Apple Pay is using Paypass. Plenty of POS systems support it. Otherwise Google Wallet and ISIS wouldn't work.

elpamyelhsa

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2010
Geraldton, Western Australia
Just about to leave for holiday for a month. Not a good time to install the beta.

----------

Oh for goodness sake!!! It's not a mystery!!!

iCloud Photo Library is all photos and videos stored locally AND in the cloud. Same stuff, both places, all the time. It works so well that apparently people can't even wrap their head around its simplicity.

You will also have the option to use a brilliant storage optimizing technique to magically free up local space. I won't bother explaining it because people here can't even grasp the basics of how it works.

I do like the new iCloud photo library for new photos taken. But once enabled I cannot sync events from iPhoto on my Mac. I like to have my last year of photos on my iPad to show friends. I can edit, adjust and organise them into albums and sync them back to my iPad in an easy to find way, but turn on iCloud photos and they are all removed from the iPad and iTunes can no longer sync them back to the iPad. Surely not an oversight or can I no longer copy photos back to my iPad?

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
ios 8.0 - the heat was around wifi issues & the usual "it sucks, its slow etc"
ios 8.0.1 - the heat was around "apple u suck u broke cellular wifi still sucks etc"
ios 8.0.2 - the heat was around "wifi still broken apple did this & that ios 8 is a mess, my lte is slower than 2g **** u apple etc"
ios 8.1 beta 1 - the heat is all over the camera roll "its dumb bla we dont need it its a double negative its pointless get rid of it bawwww apple is listening to whiners"

ios 8.1 beta 2/final i predict will be centered around..hm..ill say siri. wait no, BATTERY LIFE & SAFARI'S SPEED:rolleyes:

sigh people in current society...getting worse..:rolleyes:

Funny, Apple Apologists like you will see the world through their iSight spectacles. But the truth is all the complaints you mentioned were 100% legit.

If iOS 8 has issues, it has issues. Let Apple fix them first before introducing gimmicky new features. 8.1 8.2 and 8.3 updates should only be bug fixes and performance improvement.

The current laggy mess in iOS 8 does not inspire confidence in me to buy future Apple products. I talked with few of my friends who too are die hard Apple fans. Even they were unsure of buying newer Apple products because the QA has slipped considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.