iOS 8.2 status bar animation problem

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by coldwaves, Mar 14, 2015.

1. coldwaves macrumors regular

Since I upgraded to iOS 8.2 on the iPhone 5s, I noticed a problem of status bar animation. I know since iOS 7, the status bar icon and font size is larger in lock screen than home screen. But I have never encountered the issue as described here. After I swipe to unlock the phone, the status bar will have a strange animation where it becomes larger for a very very short period of time and then change back to the size it should be in the home screen. This does not happen if I wait a few seconds in the lock screen before swiping to unlock.

Here is a video describing what I say above.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bv6sVZQ1F7U0c5czlaSHNUVDg/view?usp=sharing

Anyone else have the same issue? Is it a bug or is it just my phone? Or is it what the animation supposed to be?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

I've been noticing that recently as well. Can't quite say if it only started since 8.2 or a bit earlier, but it seemed to have caught my eye a few times over the past week (which fits in with it starting as of 8.2).

3. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

I noticed this graphical glitch the first time I unlocked my phone after upgrading to iOS 8.2. Do these releases get beta tested at all, or are we free beta testers?

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Things of this type of trivial nature ultimately wouldn't hold up a release and often enough not end up getting fixed before a release cut off as more serious and/or important issues would generally take precedence as far as getting addressed to not hold up a release.

5. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

Yes it's a minor glitch, but since it's happening (at least for me) almost everytime when unlocking phone, it isn't too hard to notice. One could also say Apple could improve their testing methods, especially since they also released that mother of all bugs called iOS 8.0.1.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Wel, it might not be the testing that's at fault or at least fully at fault, but quite possibly priority of fixes and willingness to put something out with various issues still present, which is more of a product/project/program management type of issue or even a more higher up up issue (if push is coming to get things out despite known issues) than anything else.

7. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

You're right. It could be this type of scenario.

8. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I'm not seeing this on the 6 plus running 8.2. It could be only on some of the 5s only.

9. coldwaves thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. This seems to be a very possible scenario.

10. marvz, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

I'm also not seeing this on my iPhone 6 whether I'm using swipe to unlock or with Touch ID. Are all of you guys using an iPhone 5s?

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Nope, iPhone 6 here. It doesn't happen all the time, just on some concessions, but often enough that I've noticed it a few times in the last week.

12. I7guy macrumors P6

Not seeing it on my 5S could be for either reason:

- I don't notice things of this nature or,
    - the phenomenon doesn't happen on my phone.

13. coldwaves thread starter macrumors regular

I see this on iPhone 5s. I don't have finger print or passcode. And it does not happen if I wait for a few seconds in the lock screen. So I guess having to enter passcode or using finger print might get rid of the problem.

14. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

Could 3rd party app cause the slow down (keyboard?) I don't have many apps on mine and I don't have this animation issue. It looks like I even have the same carrier as the op.

This is my iPhone 6 plus on 8.2. I used touchID from off, and from on. I didn't use the swipe to unlock since I don't want to remove it thus removing my apple pay info.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEBtJJjiDhQ

15. coldwaves thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for testing!

I don't have many third party apps. I only have Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Circa and Skype. Also, the problem still occurs even if I did a clean install without installing any third party apps. One thing I notice is that the animation issue does not happen if I wait for a few seconds in the lock screen. Glad you don't have the problem.

16. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

Don't worry about it bro, i am also getting that on a newly fresh installed iPhone 6.

17. coldwaves thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I am not worried about it. Just curious to know whether it is a iOS 8.2 issue. It is purely cosmetic and does not impact the functionality. Hopefully it will be fixed in the future.

18. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I have also been seeing this on iOS 8.2. I didn't notice it before the update.
    Also I did a clean install.

19. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

20. asv56kx3088 macrumors 6502

I have this problem on my iPhone 5.
    And I have passcode enabled

21. deadolive macrumors member

I get this issue too on occasion on my 6 Plus

22. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

23. JohnnyMIAMI macrumors newbie

JohnnyMIAMI

I too have the same behaviour after I updated my phone to 8.2. Before that I didn't have this issue.

I am using iPhone 5S. It is very annoying though... Makes iPhone or iOS looks bad, simple.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's slightly visibly annoying at best, beyond that is basically trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

25. JohnnyMIAMI macrumors newbie

JohnnyMIAMI

Thank God it is not happening all the time. It occurs mostly, when I quickly enter the passcode, and jump from lock screen to main menu. It's just ugly!...

I also started to get "StorageStatus" logs in my Diagnostics&Usage after updating to 8.2.

I am not very happy with 8.2 :(