Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Thus they are rushing more these days--keeping the schedule the same but redesigning more and adding more. Not a practical/good way of going about it.

A new OS version helps sell devices. Maybe they just need more people?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A new OS version helps sell devices. Maybe they just need more people?

More people has the potential of helping, but at some point it doesn't help (and can be worse even). It's a balance between deadlines, resources, and quality. Unfortunately, as common as it typically is across many businesses, deadlines end up taking more and more of a priority than anything else. Apple had a bit more of a balance, but not as much more recently.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
More people has the potential of helping, but at some point it doesn't help (and can be worse even). It's a balance between deadlines, resources, and quality. Unfortunately, as common as it typically is across many businesses, deadlines end up taking more and more of a priority than anything else. Apple had a bit more of a balance, but not as much more recently.

Recall how often OS X releases got pushed back -- almost 3 years between Tiger and Leopard, and close to two years for Snow Leopard and Lion. iOS though has always been on an annual update cycle, such is the nature of competing in the fast moving mobile space.

One issue I have is putting OS X on the same annual update cycle, even though Macs aren't updated annually like the iPhone and iPad lines. I get that a new version of iOS needs to accompany the iPhone releases. Not as much with OS X.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Recall how often OS X releases got pushed back -- almost 3 years between Tiger and Leopard, and close to two years for Snow Leopard and Lion. iOS though has always been on an annual update cycle, such is the nature of competing in the fast moving mobile space.

One issue I have is putting OS X on the same annual update cycle, even though Macs aren't updated annually like the iPhone and iPad lines. I get that a new version of iOS needs to accompany the iPhone releases. Not as much with OS X.

I can get why they are doing it, but that doesn't change that they are losing quality at least partly and likely mostly because of it.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Is the iOS beta program invite only? I've been using the Yosemite betas since launch but I can't find anywhere to sign up for the iOS beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.