iOS 8 Adoption Hits 87% Ahead of iOS 9 Release

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iOS 8 is installed on 87% of iOS devices a year after its release, according to new numbers shared by Apple on its App Store developer page. The new numbers come on the eve of the launch of Apple's newest mobile operating system, iOS 9.

iOS 8 adoption has been somewhat slower than iOS 7, with iOS 8 hitting 72% adoption in January 2015. iOS 7 was at 80% adoption at the same point. Additionally, iOS 8 reached 81% adoption in late April, only growing 6 percentage points in a little over four months.

Comparatively, the latest version of Android (5.1, aka Lollipop) sits at a 5.1% adoption rate. However, Android updates often take a long time to propagate to customers, partly because cell phone manufacturers and cellular carriers must bake in their apps and interfaces into the operating system.

According to mobile analytics firm Mixpanel, iOS 9 currently holds a ~1.04% adoption rate, which includes public beta testers and developers. That number will likely increase dramatically as the operating system will push to iOS users tomorrow, September 16.

Article Link: iOS 8 Adoption Hits 87% Ahead of iOS 9 Release

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
What about the % of folks on beta releases? I thought that there were at least 1 million on iOS 9 or 9.1 already. Therefore it should have some impact on these numbers, so I think.

Edit. Never mind. Missed the last line. 1%ish. if my guess at 1 million is correct then there are a lot of phones out there.

Reactions: scarecrowmac

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
updating my watch and iphone now to avoid the server crush tomorrow. Ive had the beta on my iPad since june.

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
What about the % of folks on beta releases? I thought that there were at least 1 million on iOS 9 or 9.1 already. Therefore it should have some impact on these numbers, so I think.

Edit. Never mind. Missed the last line. 1%ish. if my guess at 1 million is correct then there are a lot of phones out there.
Beta's have been SUCKING for me recently. So badly...

Reactions: scarecrowmac

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I can't upgrade till El Capitan releases the GM and can update my computers. I can't loose the ability to sync from iOS to OSX... notes and such will screw up. so on Sept 30th I can have iOS 9 - that should have been planned a little closer together imo.

itsmarty

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2015
I assume this percentage is based only on compatible devices? Or are devices like the 3GS part of the remaining 13% of devices not on iOS 8?

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
That moment when you see a 40 year old lady running < iOS 6. Makes me cringe. I just want to steal their phone for an hour and update and organize it...
Don't. Someone (aka my aunt) did that to my grandma's 4S, and then Safari was suddenly unstable because – I guess – she got unlucky and had something not go right, and she was asking me what the heck was wrong with it. It's way more important for her that stuff work right than it have the latest features.

Last edited:

DevNull0

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2015
Why is fast adoption such a good thing though? In the apple Camp everyone seems to fall all over themselves jumping on the latest version, but if there's nothing in the new version you want, why upgrade?

On the Apple side, it seems everything is tied into OS version. You upgrade the OS, you have to use the new crippled iWork apps. You have to buy a new copy of parallels, etc. And now you even have to upgrade your bootcamp to windows 8 if you use the latest OS.

Unless you really follow the developments closely, upgrading is just asking for trouble too. Gatekeeper messed up a lot of people who didn't know it existed but suddenly couldn't install apps they'd been using for years.

Reactions: JPSaltzman

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Yuck, that's abysmal.
That's what happens when one company makes the OS... other company makes the hardware... and the carriers also have to put their spin on it. Too many parties involved.

Android's most-installed version is currently Android 4.4 KitKat... followed by 4.1-4.3 Jelly Bean.

That's 71% of all Android devices on Earth using operating systems that are 2 and 3 years old.

Are we surprised? Most manufacturers barely make any money on the device when they sell it... so why would they spend extra time and money to provide software updates for an "old" device?

The result? The version your device ships with is the one it will die with.

tillsbury

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2007
Don't. Someone (aka my aunt) did that to my grandma's 4S, and then Safari was suddenly unstable because – I guess – she got unlucky and had something not go right, and she was asking me what the heck was wrong with it.
Exactly. My girlfriend has her five-year-old iphone 4 (never backed up, full to the brim of five years of photos). I don't dare update it for fear it'll do something weird. I backed it up and that's it. Just been waiting for the price drops to buy her a 6...

DevNull0

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2015
I can't upgrade till El Capitan releases the GM and can update my computers. I can't loose the ability to sync from iOS to OSX... notes and such will screw up. so on Sept 30th I can have iOS 9 - that should have been planned a little closer together imo.
I mean this is a perfect example of how apple upgrades screw everything up. Why should your choice of iOS version matter with your choice of OS X version? It doesn't matter what version of android or windows you have, they'll all happily talk with each other. Apple is one company and their version differences cause such trouble with their own products.

Reactions: tongxinshe

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
To be fair, Android 5.1 was released in March- six months after iOS 8 came out.

Still, 87% is incredible. I wonder if that number will be higher for iOS 9 in September 2016, seeing as it doesn't drop support for anything.

vertsix

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2015
This percentage should dramatically increase with iOS 9 because it takes less free space to update.

I know several people that wait out major iOS releases because of low free space. But, they're still fools for buying the 16GB iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.