Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dadiy

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
Is it me or is the ability to annotate photos in email still missing?

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
HA funny but if serious maybe before iOS 7 when 90% of stuff became hidden "features" that you would have to research or stumble across to do things that were obvious in iOS 6. :D

The thing is, when we all ask for more options, the cleanest way to do it is through "hidden features". I personally think they do a good job of providing these options without making the interface sloppy. However, the down side is the average user (not us on this site) won't go looking online to find these answers so maybe a separate app will help a certain segment of the population (like my mom for example).

dadiy

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
What a shame. I didn't realise that. I better rewatch WWDC 2014 and see what else I miss understood, don't tell me we don't get the link to large email downloads too.

Don't think that was every announced for iOS. It was a Yosemite only feature.[/QUOTE]

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
The thing is, when we all ask for more options, the cleanest way to do it is through "hidden features". I personally think they do a good job of providing these options without making the interface sloppy. However, the down side is the average user (not us on this site) won't go looking online to find these answers so maybe a separate app will help a certain segment of the population (like my mom for example).

I agree. The tips app probably is a good thing now. Was just pointing out that pre iOS7, iOS was intuitive enough for most folks to just use it without a tips app or without a web search to see how for example, to delete a message or view the time stamp of a message in iOS 7.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
Anyone else have issues with contact images? It's showing the wrong image in some of my contacts but if I edit the image it shows the correct image.

Adam.

----------

Is this new? I think it is, when restarting phone (pressing power + home button) upon restarting we now have to enter passcode.

Adam.

dadiy

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
For me contact images in airdrop aren't showing but I think that's normal until they cache after a day or two.

Anyone else have issues with contact images? It's showing the wrong image in some of my contacts but if I edit the image it shows the correct image.

Adam.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I agree. The tips app probably is a good thing now. Was just pointing out that pre iOS7, iOS was intuitive enough for most folks to just use it without a tips app or without a web search to see how for example, to delete a message or view the time stamp of a message in iOS 7.

I think this is BS. If someone had never used iOS before they'd figure iOS 7 out as easily (or not) as iOS 6. I'm sure plenty of users would have welcomed a tips style app for previous versions of iOS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think this is BS. If someone had never used iOS before they'd figure iOS 7 out as easily (or not) as iOS 6. I'm sure plenty of users would have welcomed a tips style app for previous versions of iOS.
One example would be forwarding or deleting messages in a Messages conversation--was there in a very straightforward way before iOS 6 (simply when you use the Edit button), and since iOS 7 it's rather well hidden and not intuitive.

dadiy

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
What's wrong with giving people choice. They can use the tips app or not. Better surely for apple to give some choice and if you hate it dump it in a folder with the stocks app. Lol.

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
Did the update throw the Tips app into a random folder for anyone else, too? After the update, I tried to find the app and ended up having to use Spotlight to see if maybe the icon just didn't appear. It turns out the update just threw Tips.app into the Education folder, not at the end of the folder, but the second app in the folder. Strange...

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
iMessage works great on my iPad Air (wifi) with iOS 8 beta 4. On my iPhone 5, it will send but won't receive any iMessages, did a clean install and also tried from backup. Keeps saying waiting for activation. And it only shows my email address not my cell number....cell number is there but I can't put the check mark on it.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA

I agree 100% and this is based on the tons of tips I've shared with family & friends that they probably never would have known about, going back to the first few iOS versions.

For example, how is it intuitive that you can press the home button & on/off button to take a screen shot? It's been there forever and the majority of users know it's there... but it certainly isn't obvious. They probably picked it up from someone else or from reading it somewhere.

CedricEarl

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
OTA? Has anyone noticed you don't need wifi?

Well you can start the download from wifi but the last update I ended up having to leave while it was downloading. Well my phone ended up competing the update while running my errands. I only used the wifi at the start. There was no way it could got the entire file.

So for beta 4 I tried it again. I let it start on wifi. When it said 19 min remaining I cut the wifi off. Needless to say, everything completed...

dadiy

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
Mine ended up in a random folder I called media.

Did the update throw the Tips app into a random folder for anyone else, too? After the update, I tried to find the app and ended up having to use Spotlight to see if maybe the icon just didn't appear. It turns out the update just threw Tips.app into the Education folder, not at the end of the folder, but the second app in the folder. Strange...

----------

I meant contacts in the contacts app.

Adam.

I know you did. I was just sharing my airdrop contacts were affected too.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA

It just did that to me too. I actually went it to edit my brother's photo (to make it fit better in the circle) and my mom's picture was there. When I clicked edit it was the right one.

dadiy

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
Anyone else a bit disappointed there's nothing really new in this beta?

So far for me the stability is about the same. But I'm pleased my swift app still works flawlessly. :)

MaxPayne79

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Anyone else having this problem that's reported in the 1st post of this thread? Cause no one is talking about it and I NEED iMessage to work perfectly. Thanx. :)

"After sending a text and backing out to convo view,
that thread cannot be accessed until you close Messages or they reply"

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Anyone else a bit disappointed there's nothing really new in this beta?

So far for me the stability is about the same. But I'm pleased my swift app still works flawlessly. :)
Some new settings and other changes. What else can really be expected in an incremental and a later beta update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.