Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Does anyone know what the difference has been between Apple's Bluetooth and everyone else's? I have a Bluetooth GPS that I've used with an iPad2 and it has a switch on the side. One position is for Apple, and the other is for everyone else.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Bluetooth audio playback perfectly smooth in my Toyota Venza crossover, on a Verizon iPhone 6 on 8.0.2

RedBanana

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Apple need a new testing department it seems, all these problems recently are becoming a bit of a bad trend.

Support forums and CultOfMac say resetting your iOS 8.0.2 phone will fix the bluetooth car connection issues with a WARNING: you will also lose your iWork files in the cloud so download all your files to your Mac/PC before resetting!!!!

http://www.cultofmac.com/298280/fix-bluetooth-connectivity-car-ios-8-0-2-broke/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6563382?start=0&tstart=0

Edit: Read more on the forum, seems very hit and miss and resetting working for you may depend on what model phone you have, what model car, or any other random parameter (if you eat cheese?). REMEMBER TO BACKUP YOUR ICLOUD FILES FIRST BEFORE A RESET.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I haven't had any issues with iOS 8 in my Mustang with Microsoft Sync. However I did have these issues with pre iOS 7.1 were on occasion it would not connect over bluetooth. All you had to do was turn bluetooth off and on again and then it worked. Seems to me this has been a lingering bug from iOS 7 and Apple just brought it back for some users

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ
Honestly, i was about to say something in the same light. iOS 8 has been nothing but garbage.

Sorry but thats quite extreme. Honestly, most people haven't experienced any of these issues and luckily the major ones were already fixed. I really like all the new features in iOS 8 and imho its is definitely been more than "nothing but garbage"

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
2014 Scion and 2014 Ram with iPhone 6.

No problems via Bluetooth or hard wired with lightning cable. Works perfect in both vehicles, thankfully.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
With all these bugs, I'm pretty surprised how there is no jailbreak yet for iOS8.

Dev teams usually don't push out a jailbreak this early, even if they have one. They like to wait until a ew 8.0.x or even 8.x updates come so we're stable BEFORE we get the jailbreak. That way people don't have to decide bug fixes vs jailbreak.

Example: If they release it at 8.0, Apple will rush to release an 8.0.1 to fix any bugs, but Apple will have the hole fixed that allowed the 8.0 jailbreak. By the time you get to an 8.0.3 or 8.1, most bugs are gone so you have a stable OS. If they release the jailbreak at that time you don't have to decide between a stable OS or a jailbreak. You get both.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Apple only sells a limited amount of hardware compared to most companies. I have no idea how they're unable to test stuff like this before release. My iPhone 6 Plus has never been able to pair to any bluetooth device that I've tried, aside from my iPad showing up in the hotspot area complete with battery level, etc. I think that uses bluetooth, but I'm not certain. I don't use bluetooth very often, so I haven't complained much, but I could see how this would be really annoying for some people.

I blame their obsession with secrecy. They don't want to do public betas for iOS, they don't let anyone see new hardware before it's announced. It's ridiculous.

I understand the desire to keep new stuff secret but if it impacts quality what's the point? And we knew what the iPhone 6 would look like long before it was announced, so their obsession isn't even working.

Get that hardware out there and TEST, damnit!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Solution: Buy Tesla

Apple Watch: requires iPhone
iPhone: requires Tesla

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Apple's online support has not been able to help me with this problem. In my iPad under Bluetooth I see two iPhone 6s. In my iPhone under Bluetooth I see two iPad airs. In each case I can only forget one device, the one that works.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
Apple is the new Microsoft.

Remember when MS was the largest tech firm? Remember when everyone wanted to be them? Remember when they got too big and little problems started to creep in? Poor decisions were made?

...yeah, that's Apple now. Give it 5 more years and they'll be a tenth in size what they are today.

Time to sell stocks? Perhaps.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I had a major problem with this, then did the Reset All Settings which fixed it although it was a complete annoyance.

Then when I upgraded to 8.0.2 it came back and had to do the same thing again.

fkick

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
This issue is resolved in 8.1 beta 1.

I had the issue on the iPhone 6 with both 8.0 and 8.0.2, but as soon as I updated to the beta I was in the clear and functionality returned to normal.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
You should probably use a few Windows machines and devices to experience the hell that comes with them before you start chastising Apple over something minute.

I'll take these minor issues over that ANY day. ;)

As a user of both Windows and OSX, it sounds like you don't know how to use Windows.

As far as the bluetooth issue.. In the two cars I use it in, one has been flawless, the other will have intermittent connectivity issues ranging from a delayed connection, to perhaps not connecting at all. This happens about 10% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.