iOS 8 GM - Strange diagnostic logs?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Dawgy, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Dawgy macrumors member

I was playing around with my phone and stumbled upon the new location of diagnostics/usage data (under privacy now). I noticed I had quite a few error logs that started with stacks+backboardd and the date of the error. When I looked into the error logs, they seem to occur around every hour or so, even when my phone is asleep and not doing anything. The error messages all contain something to the effect of:

Watchdog: thermal not updating, backboardd last successful ping...
    Thermal data unavailable

These errors show up on both my iPad Air and 5S, which were both fresh installs. Everything on the phone seems to be working but I am curious if anyone else is getting these? I tried searching around but I'm having trouble finding anyone else posting around with this issue.

2. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

I am getting the something here on my 5S running GM.

3. bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

I'm getting those on both iPad air and 5s too. I was thinking it could be related to the battery drain I'm experiencing on the 5s, and just posted about it in the 'iOS 8 GM battery life' thread.

There is surprisingly little about this process on Google.

4. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

I am getting them too. And the surprising thing is that it happens only when my phone is sleeping. I think it cannot connect to some site as it mentions ping failed bla bla.

I don't think it's affecting anything but have no clue what it is.

5. ZeeDD macrumors regular

6. VMukhtarov macrumors regular

7. bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

Are you guys experiencing rapid battery drain as well?

8. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

Same here, thought it was because I updated from 7.1.2 to 8 so did a fresh clean 100% restore, with no restore from backup. Same exact logging issues and yes, a bit of battery drain as well.

9. Dawgy thread starter macrumors member

Nope, battery seems to be on par with my usage on iOS7. It's just strange seeing these errors pile up with no rhyme or reason.

10. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

Same logs but not noticeable in battery life.

11. fardeenah macrumors regular

yes i have the same issue and same logs and yes i do get a battery drain on my 4s

12. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

Same logs here on 5S and 5 (both updated and not clean installs), noticeable drain on both :(

13. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

I have noticed that it happens mostly during the night time when the phone is not in use. I feel its trying to do something in the background and is not able to do so?

Also, I have an ISP which requires a log on page for internet access and mostly its offline at night. So I feel lack of internet connectivity is the culprit.

Does anyone share the same scenario?

14. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

same here..don't know why..maybe there is an issue about an application that's not compatible with ios 8 (facebook or whatsapp) it has to be gone when updates start to come in app store.

15. bahndoos, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

I have the opposite issue. For me, excessive battery drain is only when I use the phone (5s). I can see it drop about 1% every few mins, sometimes 2% at a time. However, when the phone is not being used, 4-5 hrs can go by and not even 1% drop in power. Last night, I unplugged my phone at 3am when I got up for a drink. After getting up at 6am, I saw it was still 100%. Didn't use it till 11am, and it was 99% then. Played Wordbase for about 20 mins, and battery dropped to 94%. Left it untouched for another 2 hours - still 94%. And so on...

Yet the "stacks+backboardd" errors seem to occur when I'm not using the phone, so the battery drain doesn't seem to be from that. The errors are on my iPad Air dx log as well, but there is no excessive battery drain there. In fact, battery life is pretty great on the Air.

16. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

it's maybe a Whatsapp,Twitter,Instagram,Facebook or another application that is not compatible with ios 8..

17. bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

But any app I use, even Apple's own like Safari, Mail etc., leads to excessive battery drain...

18. Makale.Helvetia, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

sure they'll fix them in 8.0.1 update,and it's so close :)

19. clauzzz203 macrumors 6502

iOS background monitoring is checking hardware temperature sensors readings to adjust various component operating modes. Here it fails to ping thermal subsystems. Such clueless, much paranoia in some posts. I won't post more explanations

20. bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. Hope it gets fixed in 8.01.

No need to get pissed off either just because everyone doesn't share your knowledge of iOS subsystem processes.

21. clauzzz203 macrumors 6502

Sorry :p last time I explained something here, somebody asked for details and then went on to say that I am wrong simply because he does not want to believe my version and has admitted he has no clue

22. bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

hahaha I hear ya... that can be pretty annoying.

"I don't know whats going on, but i know you're wrong" well, that kind of explains itself really.... heh

23. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

So any changes after the app updates or is still there?

24. bahndoos macrumors 6502

bahndoos

Im getting it consistently in iOS 8. Went back to 7.1.2 for a couple days, no trace of 'stack+backboardd' errors. Have now installed 8.0 as a download from ADC and clean wipe, OTA upgrade over 7.1.2, and via iTunes. It doesn't make a difference.

So I don't think its any particular apps as such causing it, as there no references to any app in the logs. Seems to be the firmware, as explained by clauzzz203, and will hopefully be addressed by 8.01.

25. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

I'm experiencing the exact same issues. Stack + backboardd in the logs and my 5s standby is the same as prior to 8 but battery drops much more quickly when actually using the phone. Pondered doing a clean install but it looks like it may not be of any use. It's also happening to my rMini but with the addition of tons of "JetsamEvent" entries in the diagnostic logs.