Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I can't complain at all about either performance nor functionality with iOS 8. Everything is smooth and polished on the 5s - not so much on the 6, although the main cause is developers not updating their apps.
An issue with fragmentation was to be expected nonetheless, but the scaling was probably expected to perform way better than it does currently.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I just want a device that works.
Than the solution is simple: stay with the version of iOS the phone or iPad came with. Than you will keep the same snappy response that came with the machine. Upgrading two levels of iOS now gets you a slow machine (YMMV) that becomes annoying to use, and doesn't really provide any must-have killer features. That is why my iPad 3 lives with 6.0.

It works great with that version, and I don't want to risk crippling it for the dubious improvements of a newer version. I have iOS 8 on my iPhone 5; nothing I have seen there really makes me want to upgrade iOS on my iPad 3.

I don't think there should be a guarantee of backward compatibility of future iOS forever. I say that, and I have an iPad 1 and iPad 3 in my house that see daily use. They just live (happily) with older iOS versions.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
For those of you who don't use Spotlight, go into your settings and turn off Spotlight for everything. This seems to have fixed the lag problems iPad 2/3 users have been having.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Than the solution is simple: stay with the version of iOS the phone or iPad came with. Than you will keep the same snappy response that came with the machine. Upgrading two levels of iOS now gets you a slow machine (YMMV) that becomes annoying to use, and doesn't really provide any must-have killer features. That is why my iPad 3 lives with 6.0.

It works great with that version, and I don't want to risk crippling it for the dubious improvements of a newer version. I have iOS 8 on my iPhone 5; nothing I have seen there really makes me want to upgrade iOS on my iPad 3.

I don't think there should be a guarantee of backward compatibility of future iOS forever. I say that, and I have an iPad 1 and iPad 3 in my house that see daily use. They just live (happily) with older iOS versions.
Its just not that easy to stay with an older version. Some actions like resorting will cause the latest version to get loaded. More and more apps will stop being compatible. Some features can even just stop working. Potential security issues. Etc.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
I just used an iPod touch with iOS 8. It was fine. But my 4s wasn't.. Needless to say my phone and iPod are still on ios 7.

hdanit610

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
I wanna use my old i4 with iOS 6.1.3. Old beautiful days...

Last year the iOS7 was pretty and slow, more animations and many more actions, features. But, the user experience was broken. Now, the iOS8 is horrible for me (as i see, not just for me).

Here's a video about the latest iOS8 bug on my i5s: click

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I almost never unsubscribe from a thread here, but I'm really getting tires of all the moaning. I've got 8.0.2 on 7 devices between me and my family and it is all good. Just seeing the title of this thread hacks off the fanboy in me.
For all of you that haven't upgrad to 8 yet, you're missing a lot of functionality. If you have a 3 year old device, then be aware that it won't be as great an experience as on a newer device.... It's just common sense people. My iPhone 6 is a frickin joy to use. :apple:

MEMSMaster

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2013
Some people are just here to throw gasoline. I have lost track of the number of users who have signed up, posted one or two "it's a disaster - I'll never buy an Apple product again" comments, and then gone away to be replace by another new sign up, with one or two posts, etc., etc.. My ignore list is getting full.
A.

OTOH, I've also watched several software suppliers (up to enterprise system size) disintegrate and disappear because they failed to listen to what their customers were telling them about problems with their software. You're using it wrong, don't talk about our dirty laundry, you don't understand how development works, you don't understand the business of software sales: these are not excuses that are new (some having been used by computer suppliers since 1955) or unique to the mobile industry.

Sometimes the software provider is right and the customer is wrong. Sometimes the annoying buzzing gadfly customers with their trouble tickets and complaints and rants at user conferences are... right, and there are serious problems with the system that the supplier is denying to itself. And in that case the symptoms and corresponding denial have been there for some time but were ignored, brushed off, or shouted down...

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
What looks like a universal problem? If anything most things don't seem to be universal or even anything close to it. Sure, plenty of people are experiencing some sort of issues of one kind or another, and some still are just nitpicking things that might be a bit different but can barely be annoyances at best, but quite a few people aren't really experiencing most issues and the few they might run into here and there aren't really much more than what they've come across in various previous iOS versions and/or things that aren't really "destroying" the use of their device or the enjoyment/usefulness they get out of it.

Not one to criticise but a full stop once in a while would help.
But you are exactly right, most people are exaggerating like they always do or have some very unique proplem they think everyone is having. iOS 8 has been totally fine for me.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014

Even my mum has ios 8 installed on her iPad 3 and she hasn't called me once so far. Can't be that bad than...

I also love how you call these features dubious or not killer:
01) redesign of entire OS
02) better photos app
03) proper Siri
04) better multitasking
05) better camera app
06) control centre
07) better notification centre
08) widgets
09) QuickType and quick reply
10) iCloud drive
11) health kit and home kit
12) better spotlight
13) iCloud Keychain
14) continuity and handoff
15) 3rd party keyboards
16) 3rd party extensions
17) iCloud Photo Library
18) Maps app that actually works
19) better security
20) much better and nicer looking 3rd party Apps, that are actually supported and updated. You know that is kind of the POINT in ios
ETC

Please Mr developer what features do you like? It seems that you don't care about any features or even know what good features are if 6 still does the job for you. Madness :mad:

Last edited:

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Even my mum has ios 8 installed on her iPad 3 and she hasn't called me once so far. Can't be that bad than...

I also love how you call these features dubious or not killer:
01) redesign of entire OS
02) better photos app
03) proper Siri
04) better multitasking
05) better camera app
06) control centre
07) better notification centre
08) widgets
09) QuickType and quick reply
10) iCloud drive
11) health kit and home kit
12) better spotlight
13) iCloud Keychain
14) continuity and handoff
15) 3rd party keyboards
16) 3rd party extensions
17) iCloud Photo Library
18) Maps app that actually works
19) better security
20) much better and nicer looking 3rd party Apps, that are actually supported and updated. You know that is kind of the POINT in ios
ETC

Please Mr developer what features do you like? It seems that you don't care about any features or even know what good features are if 6 still does the job for you. Madness :mad:

I enjoy the new features, but I dislike all the choppiness, jerky scrolling and having an unusable Safari on my iPad 4. My device was never choppy on 7 and shouldn't be on 8. Judging by plenty of feedback on this forum, performance optimization really needs to be addressed.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
I enjoy the new features, but I dislike all the choppiness, jerky scrolling and having an unusable Safari on my iPad 4. My device was never choppy on 7 and shouldn't be on 8. Judging by plenty of feedback on this forum, performance optimization really needs to be addressed.

Yeah there is some choppiness here and there mainly in apps but saying safari is unusable is pushing it. Mine works fine apart from the slight lag when the keyboard pops up. iOS 8.1 is coming soon and will address most of these anyway

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I'm typically very tolerant with iOS updates, but for me iOS 8.02 has been horrible on both my iPad Air and iPhone 6 Plus. I have had numerous app crashes, often taking me to the home screen, but at times it also results in a freeze or the screen goes to the Apple logo. When it goes to the Apple logo it's strange - it's not a restart b/c it goes right to the Home Screen after the logo without asking for a password or fingerprint.

What's really bizare is that Safari is one of the worst culprits as it is crashing on my iPad and iPhone almost once per day. Anyway, I'm hoping that 8.1 provides substantial improvement.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
OTOH, I've also watched several software suppliers (up to enterprise system size) disintegrate and disappear because they failed to listen to what their customers were telling them about problems with their software. You're using it wrong, don't talk about our dirty laundry, you don't understand how development works, you don't understand the business of software sales: these are not excuses that are new (some having been used by computer suppliers since 1955) or unique to the mobile industry.

Sometimes the software provider is right and the customer is wrong. Sometimes the annoying buzzing gadfly customers with their trouble tickets and complaints and rants at user conferences are... right, and there are serious problems with the system that the supplier is denying to itself. And in that case the symptoms and corresponding denial have been there for some time but were ignored, brushed off, or shouted down...

You two are taking about very different types of people. He's talking about obvious paid trolls that show up to bash apple and disappear just as fast, all while clearly not being a user of anything Apple... and you are talking about genuine users that actually use these products and want to see them improved.
And as he said... one way to spot them is the have very recent join dates, say not a single positive constructive thing about anything, and then are gone. They also tend to post late at night (US time).. given they are in different parts of the world. It seriously seems to be over half the people on Macrumors these days. It's becoming a pretty bad place to come for real, genuine discussion about Apple products.

monoorb

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
I like the direction iOS is headed but I think Apple needs to slow down and get it right the first time.

luciekruger

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
iOS 8 Mixed Package not complete disaster

iOS 8 comes with a mixed package. Many photo (picture) loving fans are very happy to have new shooting options. Apart from this people who love to text every time can enjoy the emoji keyboards with attractive editing options. The most disappointment is for those who are into the Healthkit apps. Most of the health application in iOS are useless. We need for its next update.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Im not sure if I should be happy or scared that iOS 8.1 is about to be released. Only a few weeks in beta so far vs the 3+ months that iOS 7.1 was in beta.

It'll have to be released soon since Yosemite is about to drop.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
As always, the loudest folks on a forum are the ones having trouble. For millions of other folks, the latest OS is as smooth as silk. Oh well. That's how it goes.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I imagine there are also many users who may be having issues but don't know about or take the time to post their issues in forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.