iOS 8 is laggy... What the heck?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by solosdk, Sep 17, 2014.

1. solosdk macrumors regular

I updated 2x iPhone 5's, 1x iPad Mini Retina and 1x iPhone 4s.

ALL devices showed a significant speed reduction. What the **** is going on?

Even my A7 iPad Mini is lagging at most tasks. BTW, its a fresh restore as well so the update is not the problem, its iOS 8.

Its absolutely atrocious. How the heck can Apple release an update like this?

It's so laggy in many places. Pulling up multitasking and it lags a bit, stuttering.

Apps launch a bit delayed, safari actions are a bit slow (but actual web browsing is really fast)

Why did Apple release an unfinished OS?

2. thurdles1994 macrumors newbie

3. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

4. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I did a reset network settings, and a shut down and all looks fine on my ip5.
    maybe check with the usage battery to see if there is some incompatibility with the older apps that could be slowing it down or a mem leak.

I notice a slew of updates for many apps that showed up in the app store.

5. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

Smooth as butter here on a 5, much better than 7. I suspect it's because I set up as new iPhone.

6. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

My iPad 4 is very choppy. 5s is still preparing update, iPad 4 has been on all the betas and honestly the gm feels slower that the last betas.

7. solosdk thread starter macrumors regular

I think Apple dislike iPads as I've noticed iPads always tend to be really much slower than iPhone builds...

8. MEMSMaster macrumors member

9. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

10. parrot5 macrumors 6502

Probably just some tasks running behind the scene, like downloading your photos and re-creating the indexes of your contacts and apps and history, for spotlight search. Preparing logs to send to Apple server (which is hammered right now by everyone trying to update and download), etc...

11. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

I did a fresh DFU restore on my iPad Air. After it started for the first time, I tapped on Safari icon and it crashed even before opening. :p:p:p

12. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Give it time to settle. Like 24 hours. After I restored the GM clean last week my 5s was laggy, wifi was terrible, phone was really hot. After a day or so this freaking thing is outstanding! I was off the charger for three days and still had some juice left this morning!!

13. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Yep, here its comes! Me and plenty of others warned about iOS 8 being laggy as hell even on the newest iPads. Get ridiculed only for the masses to start saying the same thing. Irony.

14. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Every time I update iOS, I do another restart of my phone. Usually helps.

15. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

unless u left it in airplane mode with wifi off & never did any calls & hardly texts i find that just slightly hard to believe..

16. solosdk thread starter macrumors regular

I did that too.

Just going to to DFU restore and try again. Seems like an iPhone 5 is smoother than my A7 retina mini. Ha.

17. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

I wouldn't say I am a power user, as I use a landline mostly from work. But I certainly made some calls, surfed the web, sent iMessages, etc. I just charged again so can't see the Usage screen, but I was on 2 days+ of standby and about 6 hours of usage I think.

18. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Apple dislikes iPads? What a stupid statement to make.

19. DeadeyeM macrumors member

I've noticed that weather app is lagy don't remember how it was on 7, also did fresh install just to test it out ant yes animations are choppy when going from place to place in weather app

20. hazeof3dd macrumors member

My phone was VERY laggy too when it first rebooted after the install finished (iPhone 5). It even took the Facebook app (the one that just updated today) about 6 seconds to fully load after being opened. However, after another restart, and a little time, things are improving. There are a few stutters here and there, especially when related to typing/safari, but even those are getting less and less quickly. My iPad 4 is still finishing the installation, so thats another story, but for now I'm satisfied on my iP5. Just give it some time like others said.

21. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

iPad Air, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S - none of them are lagging, it's the same as iOS 7.

22. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Ohh there was this dude who claimed that GM is different than public build even the build number is same.

23. jigzaw macrumors 6502

5S here, updated via iTunes and did NOT do a clean install. So far it's pretty smooth. I was kinda surprised to see it default to the largest text setting so all the notifications and text messages looked huge but I quickly changed that.

Also noticing the Weather app looks messed up. No weather animations, just blank cards.

24. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

when i updated last year to iOS7 it started out sluggish but I didn't realize it was sat ill trying to organize my apps and songs

25. MasterTick macrumors 6502

He did let it happen. iOS updates have always crippled older devices.