Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 8 is laggy... What the heck?

solosdk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
I updated 2x iPhone 5's, 1x iPad Mini Retina and 1x iPhone 4s.

ALL devices showed a significant speed reduction. What the **** is going on?

Even my A7 iPad Mini is lagging at most tasks. BTW, its a fresh restore as well so the update is not the problem, its iOS 8.

Its absolutely atrocious. How the heck can Apple release an update like this?

It's so laggy in many places. Pulling up multitasking and it lags a bit, stuttering.

Apps launch a bit delayed, safari actions are a bit slow (but actual web browsing is really fast)

Why did Apple release an unfinished OS?

cpnotebook80

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I did a reset network settings, and a shut down and all looks fine on my ip5.
maybe check with the usage battery to see if there is some incompatibility with the older apps that could be slowing it down or a mem leak.

I notice a slew of updates for many apps that showed up in the app store.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Smooth as butter here on a 5, much better than 7. I suspect it's because I set up as new iPhone.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
My iPad 4 is very choppy. 5s is still preparing update, iPad 4 has been on all the betas and honestly the gm feels slower that the last betas.

solosdk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
My iPad 4 is very choppy. 5s is still preparing update, iPad 4 has been on all the betas and honestly the gm feels slower that the last betas.

I think Apple dislike iPads as I've noticed iPads always tend to be really much slower than iPhone builds...

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
Probably just some tasks running behind the scene, like downloading your photos and re-creating the indexes of your contacts and apps and history, for spotlight search. Preparing logs to send to Apple server (which is hammered right now by everyone trying to update and download), etc...

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
I did a fresh DFU restore on my iPad Air. After it started for the first time, I tapped on Safari icon and it crashed even before opening. :p:p:p

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
Give it time to settle. Like 24 hours. After I restored the GM clean last week my 5s was laggy, wifi was terrible, phone was really hot. After a day or so this freaking thing is outstanding! I was off the charger for three days and still had some juice left this morning!!

jonnyb098

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Yep, here its comes! Me and plenty of others warned about iOS 8 being laggy as hell even on the newest iPads. Get ridiculed only for the masses to start saying the same thing. Irony.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I updated 2x iPhone 5's, 1x iPad Mini Retina and 1x iPhone 4s.

ALL devices showed a significant speed reduction. What the **** is going on?

Even my A7 iPad Mini is lagging at most tasks. BTW, its a fresh restore as well so the update is not the problem, its iOS 8.

Its absolutely atrocious. How the heck can Apple release an update like this?

It's so laggy in many places. Pulling up multitasking and it lags a bit, stuttering.

Apps launch a bit delayed, safari actions are a bit slow (but actual web browsing is really fast)

Why did Apple release an unfinished OS?

Every time I update iOS, I do another restart of my phone. Usually helps.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
unless u left it in airplane mode with wifi off & never did any calls & hardly texts i find that just slightly hard to believe..

I wouldn't say I am a power user, as I use a landline mostly from work. But I certainly made some calls, surfed the web, sent iMessages, etc. I just charged again so can't see the Usage screen, but I was on 2 days+ of standby and about 6 hours of usage I think.

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I've noticed that weather app is lagy don't remember how it was on 7, also did fresh install just to test it out ant yes animations are choppy when going from place to place in weather app

hazeof3dd

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2005
My phone was VERY laggy too when it first rebooted after the install finished (iPhone 5). It even took the Facebook app (the one that just updated today) about 6 seconds to fully load after being opened. However, after another restart, and a little time, things are improving. There are a few stutters here and there, especially when related to typing/safari, but even those are getting less and less quickly. My iPad 4 is still finishing the installation, so thats another story, but for now I'm satisfied on my iP5. Just give it some time like others said.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Yep, here its comes! Me and plenty of others warned about iOS 8 being laggy as hell even on the newest iPads. Get ridiculed only for the masses to start saying the same thing. Irony.

Ohh there was this dude who claimed that GM is different than public build even the build number is same.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
5S here, updated via iTunes and did NOT do a clean install. So far it's pretty smooth. I was kinda surprised to see it default to the largest text setting so all the notifications and text messages looked huge but I quickly changed that.

Also noticing the Weather app looks messed up. No weather animations, just blank cards.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
when i updated last year to iOS7 it started out sluggish but I didn't realize it was sat ill trying to organize my apps and songs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.