Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you had any odd text messages?

• Yes, something similar to yours!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Braders88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
Liverpool, England
Hello Mac Community!

Like many of you already I have updated to 9.3.5. Earlier today I received a text message which lit up my screen with the below details...

+44 7520 61483 (many of you in England will notice the number is missing a digit, this confused me a lot).
Free MSG Promo (My Name) your name was tagged in the following....

From that point I was unable to read the rest as I remembered what 9.3.5 was patching, the details were only showing on my lock screen giving a small preview. I immediately opened my text messages (ensuring not to open the text message itself - swiped and deleted).

I looked on iMessage in my iPad which gave more details (again making sure I didn't open it fully) it said a little more on the description, some kind of link was included as well?

I have already checked, both my iPhone and iPad were updated to 9.3.5 yesterday and I only received this SMS text a short while ago - with this in mind I am assuming I am safe with this patch?

My question is this, has anyone else had any odd looking texts recently with links contained within?
Have any of you actually clicked any of the links? Has anyone been infected with this so-called "Pegasus" Virus, or is it something that only affects jail broken phones?

Any advice or response from you all would be great fully appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Certainly plenty of all kinds of spam has been going around for years. Surely more than likely the vast majority don't click on any of the links in such messages, but there are of course some that do--in many instances they aren't exploits for particular devices or anything like that, but phishing attempts or some other scams.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.