Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
That's nice and all but it doesn't mention the most important part, if it backups the app settings or not. Otherwise it will have the same affect as deleting and reinstalling an app meaning losing all your settings that were saved locally (especially in games). If it does save them that's great but should mention that. If it doesn't than they need to make that very clear as the world will freak out when they discover they have lost data by agreeing to an apple prompt saying this "need" be done.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
I'm still waiting for Apple to increase the iPhone's storage. Why not drop the ancient 16GB and finally start at 32GB?! Now that would be a better solution.

cause a lot of older folks and on-the-go iCloud users either don't need or don't care. tell your friends who buy the 16gb model to stop doing it or apple will continue to sell them to the market that gobbles them up. then they'll be like 'why' and you'll be like 'cause i find 16gb ridiculous' and they'll be like 'well sucks to be you, dunnit' and you'll be like 'yeah, when it comes to iPhone base storage it sure does.'

considering i doubt more than a handful of people on MR ever buy/bought a base model when there was 4x - 8x the storage for another $100-200 over [x] lifetime usage, i think those who have so much of a problem with the base model should just pretend it doesn't exist. would anyone here really buy the 32gb base model to save $100 when that's probably not gonna cut it for people who don't rely on iCloud (and are the type to obsessively browse tech sites?)... i rest my case.

Last edited:

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The data stays on the device, on the app itself is on the only thing that is removed.
Have you confirmed that through testing multiple apps? As the default practice would be the data is lost when a user manually deletes the app and reinstalls it unless the app has additional built in protection or syncing. If it does backup the data that's great.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Well I would say that they should have just stopped making 16gb devices already. It's not like the extra cost is that high for making the base 32gb. Sure there are still legacy devices to support but the size of even basic apps are just getting huge

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I don't quite understand this. So if there's enough room to put back the apps after installation then why take them away to install the update?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The obvious targets are the biggest apps...

I disagree. If you need 1 GB of space freed up and you have an app with 1.1 GB and an app with 10 GB and are otherwise identical, you should delete the 1.1 GB app (which you'll note is the smaller of the two.) This allows the app to be redownloaded quicker afterwards.

Reactions: Jason83

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
I assume they're only going to do this for Apps that either don't have any locally stored data... or apps that only store data in iCloud.

Seems like quite a tricky thing to get right... if it goes awry people could easily lose data.

Also: think about stuff like Spotify. It is the largest app I have on my phone (currently ~8GB). I have all of that music saved offline for listening on the subway. If Apple blows away Spotify and reinstalls it... I now have a chore ahead of me to re-download many hundreds of songs.

I don't see this being all that popular of an option...
I have a beef with Spotify about this. They store alot of data offline but once you delete the offline songs, they dont actually delete them. It stays. They claim the ios will wipe it when it needs more space but that does not happen.

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Guys there were doing this for years with iCloud backup restoration, do you loose your data when restoring from iCloud? Seriously, people.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I don't quite understand this. So if there's enough room to put back the apps after installation then why take them away to install the update?

Because the OS keeps a backup of itself just in case the update process fails for one reason or another. In other words, it needs to fall back/revert to it's former OS version if the update fails. Only once the installation is complete does it discard the old OS version.

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015

There's no room to download the installer. So apps are deleted to make room. Then the installer is run. After it completes, it is deleted and space is available again to put the apps back.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
We're only talking OTA updating here. Updates take MUCH less space if you install it using iTunes on a computer because the computer is used for temp storage. When you're installing OTA, that's not possible. So a lot of temp storage space is needed to first download the update, install it, and then delete the old files and temp files.

Reactions: HenryDJP

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

When you download software from Apple's servers, it's compressed. The process of decompressing them requires that you temporarily have both the compressed and decompressed files on disk. As soon as the decompressing is done and you've verified that no data corruption took place, you can delete the compressed files.

So, IE, the compressed files might be 1 GB while the decompressed files are 2 GB. For a moment during the install, you'll need 3 GB of space free.

In addition to this, after you run the installer, you can delete files from the old OS which are no longer needed. But you can't delete those files until the new OS is actually installed and running.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I'm still waiting for Apple to increase the iPhone's storage. Why not drop the ancient 16GB and finally start at 32GB?! Now that would be a better solution.
They could make a 512 Petabyte phone, and this will still fix the issue.

When I was a kid, I figured out what 2^32 (1 GB) was, and it was so huge that it was unimaginable what would be stored there.

There is only one constant in computers:
There is never enough storage, and your CPU can never be too fast.

OK, that's 2 constants.

;) :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.