iOS7: Calendar Thoughts

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by AppleMrHan, Sep 18, 2013.

1. AppleMrHan, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

AppleMrHan macrumors member

AppleMrHan

Well, I do not know about you guys, for me Calendar was one of the most useful applications on my iPhone.

It never had the most intuitive design but it was useful.

Well, with iOS7 it went from somewhat useful to completely useless. I fell like whoever worked on it was aiming at its "pretty" design completely butchering usefulness of it.

The point of the calendar is so that you can see ahead. However, not having preview screen while viewing monthly calendar is an awful change. I could not be more disappointed with the new Calendar.

The fact that to view the event of any particular day while viewing monthly view is to enter each day is so annoying.

Well, I like iOS7 and while it has its drawbacks, the most disappointing for me is the Calendar, which unfortunately for me is my most precious application as I use it heavily to organize my busy schedule.

What are your thoughts on Calendar guys?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Based on a number of different threads about the calendar, quite a few people aren't happy about it for similar reasons.

3. Kubaton macrumors member

Kubaton

I just figured out that if you use the magnifying glass icon at the top you can get a little better view of your overall schedule but, yeah, I agree, the new calendar sucks.

4. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Did we lose the weekly view. I cant figure out how to see by the week. I agree about viewing in the future. I liked having the weekly view.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Turn the phone sideways into landscape mode?

6. mylop macrumors newbie

I'm afraid I've always found iOS's calendar app to be frustrating. Dot = "doing something" means a lot of tapping to find a certain event. Amazed that they've made it worse in iOS 7!

Makes me wonder if Apple designers actually use Apple products.

7. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I actually prefer the calendar in iOS7. I rarely used it before and I use it all the time now (I had the GM and all the betas).

8. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

LOL . Okay I feel stupid and yes thanks for the heads up.

Now need to find a e-mail thread . I have three e-mail accounts and under accounts I dont see any of them. I do see all inboxes merged and I added some folders like pending jobs and important but cant seem to add my Cox.net accounts. Funny thing is on my Ipad I do see them

9. mylop macrumors newbie

Might not look as cool, but Android's calendar widget is very useful.

Attached Files:

10. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Me too...while the iOS 6 monthly view did show text, it was usually so limited I had to tap on the day anyway to see the details of all my appointments.

Hitting the magnifying glass for list view has worked great for me....and it will stay in that mode even after you exit the app and go back in.

11. lwilliams macrumors regular

lwilliams

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

And what about it that made it more useful somehow?

----------

There was the Agenda view in iOS 6 and before too. And with iPhone 5 you could actually see at least a few events on a selected day in monthly view, so often it was more than enough, or at least enough to get you started.

13. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

The little magnifying glass search icon at the top right will get that for you.

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Agree completely. I am amazed at how some things can be so nice and yet others are like the person responsible should be fired.

16. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Ahhhh...I knew that...I just always knew it as "list view."

17. Kubaton macrumors member

Kubaton

You're exactly right!

18. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Personally love the new calendar. I still heave fantastical installed not sure I'm ready to let go just yet, but I find myself going to it more often by default.

19. lwilliams macrumors regular

lwilliams

Is there a caendarl app that will sync with iCloud?

20. fisha macrumors regular

Seeing the text below in monthly view was one of the reasons I went back to iphone from android. The new calendar is a real step back I think. Really re-considering that now.

21. AppleMrHan thread starter macrumors member

AppleMrHan

I got to agree, and I am an Apple fan, that app looks way more useful.

I hope Apple will have a better monthly view, which is the one that is actually most useful.

We need to see a small preview of things listed in each day while viewing monthly or at least having a small preview window on the bottom.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

What's different/new about it that you like more about it now?

23. lwilliams macrumors regular

lwilliams

24. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

25. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

+1, I can't believe they removed the preview :() Do they ever look at other apps and what people say?