Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I agree that the monthly view preview needs fixing, badly.

I really hoped it would be done in the betas.

Seriously...how hard is it to turn your phone 90-degrees?

There is nothing to fix...it was done this way for a reason.

Either turn your phone sideways or simply tap on the day and the list view comes up from the bottom.

----------

I think it's good on the iPad but looks awful on the iPhone.

I preferred the previous versions where you could click on a day in month view and see the list of the days events below. :(

Ummm...you can still do that...clicking on any day in month view brings up a detailed hour view of that day below. Then just click on the name of the month on top to go back to month view.

Or simply turn the phone sideways and see the details in the weekly view...

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Dots are pointless without a preview pane. Literally, my whole ear has dots. I've lost count of the bug reports closed so apple don't care. Form over function.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Dots are pointless without a preview pane. Literally, my whole ear has dots. I've lost count of the bug reports closed so apple don't care. Form over function.

Yes,,,if you are like me, you have appointments every day and therefore dots on every day when looking in month view. But not everybody does...in fact, I would guess the majority do not.

Simply turn the phone sideways or tap on the day you want details for and they will show up...or hit the magnifying glass.

The month view on an iPhone is now simply to see what days or on which day of the week and to probably see which days you have dots on (or not)...for those that don't have a ton of appointments.

Old monthly calendar view on iOS6 on the phone was somewhat pointless for me as I always had to click on the day anyway to get the detail that wouldn't fit...and it was hard to read at a glance.

tejaykay

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Edinburgh
meh

I'm a Fantastical enthusiast, but I was eagerly anticipating the update to the stock calendar app. I have to say that I am disappointed and won't be looking to revert back.

What Fantastical does well is show not just when you have an event, but the makeup of those events by colour - i.e. private, work, shared calendars, etc. The stock app doesn't do this well. It has a series of grey dots for all events, this makes my calendar look absolutely full despite being events from my girlfriend's calendar. I therefore lose the clarity of my agenda.

If it just brought in those darn colour dots, and maybe even introduced some dots on the new weekly scrubber - then that would be enough!

----------

Yes,,,if you are like me, you have appointments every day and therefore dots on every day when looking in month view. But not everybody does...in fact, I would guess the majority do not.

Simply turn the phone sideways or tap on the day you want details for and they will show up...or hit the magnifying glass.

The month view on an iPhone is now simply to see what days or on which day of the week and to probably see which days you have dots on (or not)...for those that don't have a ton of appointments.

Old monthly calendar view on iOS6 on the phone was somewhat pointless for me as I always had to click on the day anyway to get the detail that wouldn't fit...and it was hard to read at a glance.

I hear those dots!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seriously...how hard is it to turn your phone 90-degrees?

There is nothing to fix...it was done this way for a reason.

Either turn your phone sideways or simply tap on the day and the list view comes up from the bottom.

----------

Ummm...you can still do that...clicking on any day in month view brings up a detailed hour view of that day below. Then just click on the name of the month on top to go back to month view.

Or simply turn the phone sideways and see the details in the weekly view...
Seeinng a list of the events and having to scroll around hours in a day to see them all are fairly different things.

----------

Btw...month view on iPad does show the events in each day like iOS 6....I think it is all about scale....

Everything is done for a reason...and not simply to f you over...
And if not was already ther on the iPhone and worked just fine for years why remove it then? Just for looks? Sacrificing functionality/usability for looks is not a good thing.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Well, I do not know about you guys, for me Calendar was one of the most useful applications on my iPhone.

It never had the most intuitive design but it was useful.

Well, with iOS7 it went from somewhat useful to completely useless. I fell like whoever worked on it was aiming at its "pretty" design completely butchering usefulness of it.

The point of the calendar is so that you can see ahead. However, not having preview screen while viewing monthly calendar is an awful change. I could not be more disappointed with the new Calendar.

The fact that to view the event of any particular day while viewing monthly view is to enter each day is so annoying.

Well, I like iOS7 and while it has its drawbacks, the most disappointing for me is the Calendar, which unfortunately for me is my most precious application as I use it heavily to organize my busy schedule.

What are your thoughts on Calendar guys?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/death-to-textures-ios-6-and-ios-7-compared-in-pictures/#image-9

I feel your pain and am annoyed by this change. I am also annoyed by the reminders app which was another app that I used regularly.

jmh0523

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Agreed. I hate it! I want to click a day and see a preview of everything I have for that day, not have to scroll through the hours to hunt down things. Ugh!

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
Calendar in iOS 6 was limited, but still useful. Now it's just horrible.

I used to be able to see the whole month, and the list of a day's events in one screen. Now you have to click on the day to see the events (with all the free time slots showing, WTF?) and click again on the magnifier to get a list.

So much wasted space in that app it's ridiculous... And showing the whole day instead of just a list of events means that the calendar in Notification Center is blank 95% of the time.

DO IT APPLE:

1. Put back the list of events instead of the whole day's time slots when you click on a day.

2. Put back the list of events in Notification Center instead of the next 5 hours' (blank) time slots.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Is it me or does simply clicking the search button, one click just the same as clicking a day on the calendar in iOS6 was, and getting a list of all your appointments resolve most of the issues mentioned in recent posts? In a way its better as previously you had to click each day separately whereas hitting the search icon brings up a full list of appointments for all days.

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Don't know if this already been said but I was complaining to a Co-worker about the new calender and she clued me in on this. When in week view if you rotate to landscape you can see all the events for the week in one screen. Still not a useful as the iOS6 bottom pane view for events but close.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I've just noticed that the notification center no longer shows all-day calendar events. So that's... useless. Surely a bug?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Is it me or does simply clicking the search button, one click just the same as clicking a day on the calendar in iOS6 was, and getting a list of all your appointments resolve most of the issues mentioned in recent posts? In a way its better as previously you had to click each day separately whereas hitting the search icon brings up a full list of appointments for all days.

That works, however I liked seeing the entire month in view and clicking on a day to see the events for that day.

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010

It was better being able to see the whole month (with dots for days with events) and a list of today's events on one screen.

Hitting the magnifier pops up a list of events (starting 2 days ago for some reason, very useful :rolleyes:), but hides the month view.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
What's different/new about it that you like more about it now?

13.06.17-Calendar-2.jpg

mzl.arcljqte.320x480-75.jpg

Well comparing by looks alone, the new app shows your appointments much easier. The old calendar app had this huge 30/1 day view which used a lot of valuable space which made the app useless if you had more than 2 or 3 appointments. The new app on the other hand focuses on your appointments, and if you have a busy schedule, makes it much easier to view appointments.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008

Well comparing by looks alone, the new app shows your appointments much easier. The old calendar app had this huge 30/1 day view which used a lot of valuable space which made the app useless if you had more than 2 or 3 appointments. The new app on the other hand focuses on your appointments, and if you have a busy schedule, makes it much easier to view appointments.

You probably don't use your calendar enough reading your post. It's 100% easier organising and seeing what you have upcoming on a day. It involves LESS clicks in ios 6 and MORE frustrating clicks in ios .Fisher price 7. To top it off, there is more scrolling around to see appointments in notification centre compared to ios 6 which actually told you what was happening instead of reading 'you have a thing tomorrow' which is something drugged out kids say

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
You probably don't use your calendar enough reading your post. It's 100% easier organising and seeing what you have upcoming on a day. It involves LESS clicks in ios 6 and MORE frustrating clicks in ios .Fisher price 7. To top it off, there is more scrolling around to see appointments in notification centre compared to ios 6 which actually told you what was happening instead of reading 'you have a thing tomorrow' which is something drugged out kids say

I actually use my calendar every day. Im sure you have your reasons for preferring iOS 6 style calendar. I did not like it, and bought fantastical instead. I don't use the notification centre to look at my calendar, when I need to look at it I just open the app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That was there in iOS 6 and before, in the Agenda view. They left that in, but took away the other pieces.

----------

Don't know if this already been said but I was complaining to a Co-worker about the new calender and she clued me in on this. When in week view if you rotate to landscape you can see all the events for the week in one screen. Still not a useful as the iOS6 bottom pane view for events but close.
That was there in iOS 6 and before as well. So, they took away some stuff, while not really adding that much.

----------

But at the same time makes it harder to see if they are hours apart since you need to scroll around to find them (while you could easily see a snapshot of your day even in the month view in the old calendar).

----------

I actually use my calendar every day. Im sure you have your reasons for preferring iOS 6 style calendar. I did not like it, and bought fantastical instead. I don't use the notification centre to look at my calendar, when I need to look at it I just open the app.
Notification center has been quite useful for many of those who use the calendar, even if it might not have been for you. Taking away stuff from there doesn't make it better--it might not matter to someone who doesn't use it, but it still doesn't mean it's good.

Chumkiu

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
Hollywood
Ir they could make the dots colored so at a glance I could tell the difference between a personal event I have happening (birthday party etc.. ) from an important business event or meeting that would be terrific..

Make the dots colored which represent different calendars and it will help immensely I believe.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Ir they could make the dots colored so at a glance I could tell the difference between a personal event I have happening (birthday party etc.. ) from an important business event or meeting that would be terrific..

Make the dots colored which represent different calendars and it will help immensely I believe.

That and add in the preview pane. Basically bring back ios6 calendar

dxwwf3

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
I've just noticed that the notification center no longer shows all-day calendar events. So that's... useless. Surely a bug?

This is killing me. I'm a teacher and like to put my plans for the day as an all day event and now it doesn't even show up in Notification Center. Hopefully this error gets fixed very soon. It's annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.