iPad 2 - Canada Thread

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wurgi, Mar 13, 2011.

1. wurgi, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

wurgi macrumors member

[​IMG]

I saw the UK thread, and I thought we should probably get started a thread to discuss the arrival of the iPad 2 in Canada, including pre-orders or in-store buying :) If you guys have any additional information, post them here, I'll try to keep the first post updated and organized! :apple:

What you need to know

• The iPad will be arriving in Canada on March 25th @ 5PM: read the Press Release

Pricing
    • 16GB WiFi: $519 (CAN)
    • 32GB WiFi: $619 (CAN)
    • 64GB WiFi: $719 (CAN)
    • 16GB WiFi + 3G: $649 (CAN)
    • 32GB WiFi + 3G: $749 (CAN)
    • 64GB WiFi + 3G: $849 (CAN)

Pre-orders / In-store availability

• Apple Store will begin taking online orders at 1AM on Friday.
    • BestBuy will be handing out tickets at 10AM on Friday to secure the iPad. In-store pick-up from 5PM.
    • Future Shop will be start selling the iPad from 5PM.

2. Durious macrumors 6502

I drove 8 hours to the u.s. To get an iPad 2 for me and the wife... Couldn't wait!!

If anyone is thinking about doing the same it's duty free product you'll just need to pay your a bit of provincial tax

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sweet ... we are known as crazy canucks :cool:

4. tringo macrumors regular

Great idea.

I have been following these threads very closely because I thought about driving down to Syracuse to pick up a new one. But the lack of availability definitely caught me off guard. I didn't think this launch would be as big as the first one. WRONG!

Now I'm thinking I will just wait for 2 weeks and order one off Apple.ca

5. Virtute macrumors member

Really? I thought that duty would be charged because they're made in China. And it's PST only, not HST?

I'm worried that either:
    A - My border guard won't know what he/she is doing and will charge me full tax and duty.
    B - Your border guard didn't know what he/she was doing and that's why you weren't charged.

Is there any sort of documentation or proof of exemption that I can bring with me to support my case when I cross the border back with mine? I'm planning on going on Monday and would like to pay as little as possible on top of my already-expensive product.

6. wurgi thread starter macrumors member

Out of curiosity, which model did you pick up and how much did you end up paying overall? I was thinking about going to Buffalo maybe next weekend.

7. Durious macrumors 6502

Tariff item to reference for duty free ipad is 8471.30.00, but most already know about that in terms of what tax it is I'm uncertain although I bought 2 iPads and 2 smart covers that cost 1581.30 in the U.S. And my border taxes was 204$. Smart covers likely had duty on it though but seeing how the dollar was and how much iPad costs in Canada vs. U.S. I actually made out alright.

8. Durious macrumors 6502

64 Gb 3G white and 32 Gb wifi only white that with the two smart covers was 1581.30 and than 204 for border taxes

9. wurgi thread starter macrumors member

It should stay the same, I don't see the price going up, especially considering they lowered the 1st generation.

10. AppleCrisp macrumors member

How much was the 32 gb iPad before you got to the border (meaning how much was the American tax and the base price for it?)

Also can you explain the tariff reference? I googled it and wasn't really able to figure out exactly what it meant.. does it definitely apply to consumer purchases?

Thanks so much!

11. newdeal macrumors 68020

There is no duty, I am in Ontario and got a 16gb wifi model. It was 540 after tax in new York state and then they just charge 13% hst at the border

12. canadianipad macrumors regular

canadianipad

Hopefully Apple announces release time and prices for the Canadian iPad at the end of this week or early next week.
    Although, with the high demand, there is always the chance, much like the original iPad, that the release date gets pushed back. I hope not, but you never know.
    I'm hoping it's also a 5pm launch on the 25th as well.

13. wurgi thread starter macrumors member

So assuming that the iPad 2 will be priced again at $549 CAD + HST, it costs almost the same, correct?

EDIT: Where did you go to buy one? How was the experience (availability, line-ups, etc.)

14. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Ordered a blk 64gb 3g(at&t) on Ebay. Will get it by Tues.

15. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I'm in North-Western Ontario and I'm planning to drive five hours to Winnipeg, the closest Apple store on March 25th. If that date slips, I'll be in Indianapolis for several days in mid-April, and perhaps I can pick one up there.

I wonder if non-residents can claim back state tax paid?

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I was hoping for a drop given the current exchange rate. I'm probably hoping for too much! :rolleyes:

17. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I came close to doing the same, still might.

How much did you end up paying for yours?

18. Durious macrumors 6502

599.99 plus 5% but that'll vary depending on what U.S. State you buy it in cause they all have diff taxes.

Tariff references are a code system to describe the product you are purchasing. It's just a reference to a definition on the product for customs to look it up if they are unsure. Canada customs site has the entire document which you can search it but the PDF is 1700+ pages.

19. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I only hope we'll be able to grab one on March 25 morning and don't have to wait til 5PM like in the US.

20. wurgi thread starter macrumors member

I don't know: if anything, I'd rather line up at around 8 or 9 AM in front of the store rather than 2 AM like I did for the iPhone outside of Eaton Centre waiting for the doors to be opened.

21. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I'm sure it will be like all previous Apple releases where we get scum bags lining to profit off it.

Not that I'm upgrading but I'm done lining up, last time I spent almost 7 hours for XBOX 360 when it launched. Guess what happened after just 40 minutes setting it up/playing...Red Ring of Death!!!

Obviously, exchanging it was out of the question since it was OOS. :mad:

22. ccolaco macrumors 6502

Just wondering what people think the likelihood is that Wal-Mart will have the iPad 2 at launch. Got an Uncle working there who confirmed with me that they're 10% discount applies to Apple products including the iPad.

23. Ole'schooliBook macrumors member

Ummm, call me crazy but I have a feeling the Canadian iPad will start at $519 (16 Gig/wifi). The reason being that the old iPad is discounted in the US to $399 and to $419 in Canada (versus the old price of $549). I would imagine the extra $30 discount-after the initial $100-is due to the adjusted exchange rate and the iPad 2 pricing will reflect that.

I have no insider knowledge, but that would just make sense to me given the adjusted pricing since iPad 1 discounts took effect. Really hoping for all of us who are looking to upgrade/take the plunge into the iPad world that this is what happens.

24. profets macrumors 68040

I've been thinking the same thing. I wonder how close to launch we'll actually find out about the pricing?