Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beach Bum Brent

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
I'm glad there's not a higher res screen, the graphics card required to run games, etc. at 2048x1536 would suck up a lot of power and probably be slow too.

Yes, thank you! I think that the current resolution is very sharp and crisp. It makes watching a 720p HD movie quite spectacular. 1024x768 is the current gen 1 iPad resolution, just over the 720 required for 720p HD.

The iPad gen 2 will have the same resolution and will be just as sharp and crisp and clear as it currently is. The new screen will have better technology for anti-fingerprints (not sure how that is even possible) but the face of the screen is supposed to be covered with something different to help take away glare that you normally see on a glass screen.

And so you are right, if they did increase the resolution, like doubled it, which would actually be four times the amount of pixels, right, would greatly strain and drain and slow the iPad like you have no idea. Like just for example, if a sample resolution = 100x100 then it would = 10000 pixels total. But double the size, at 200x200 would = 40000 pixels total. So yes, that would be a drastic increase in the required power and speed on the video card that there is no way this is happening any time soon. Not to mention it might kill the battery from 10 hours to 5 hours with a screen of that size and resolution. And again, it is fine the way it is. It already has many more pixels per square inch than any normal HD computer display on the market, PC monitor is about 96 pixels per inch, and the iPad has about 134 pixels per inch, packing the pixels in tighter making everything sharper.

Everyone keeps talking out loud about how they are trying to make choices as to whether they are ready to buy an iPad, keep their iPad, or wait until iPad gen 3, or what.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I will buy every generation of every iPad they come out with (and it will always be the best, most loaded iPad available).

For example, I had my first iPad until day before yesterday and I sold it online in less than one hour for $600. So now that I have it sold before the masses know about the iPad 2, I have saved myself even more money as it will lose some of its value here very soon as they are going to announce the release date in the morning, March 2nd 2011. I expect, still, after analyzing any document that I can find, that they are still going to release it on April 2nd, or possibly April 9th. That is my prediction.

So now I just sold my iPad 64GB 3G WiFi and I am eager to see what date it is expected to be released. And if it is something even close to another month before it is released, well then I will buy a brand-new iPad gen 1 tomorrow and keep it in pristine condition. I kept the first plastic-wrap on my iPad for months before I finally exposed the surface to touching. This iPad I would take extra good care of and then I will return it to the store within a one month time to get a refund, or hopefully it should be time to upgrade to the iPad gen 2 and just simply pay the difference in price (which I hope to be only $200 or less in price jump). I really hope that they will come out with a 128GB model, they should. It is shown on most of the mockups, or sample iPad 2's that don't quite work yet, or at all. And it would be so odd to upgrade something with a faster processor, double the RAM, faster BUS speeds, etc., and to not increase the drive size. They just wouldn't do that. And I have my iPad 64 maxed out over and over and over and would just love a terabyte of storage!

So if you are wondering if you made the right decision, then you haven't. Just buy a new one every time, sell your old one (keep good care of it for max resale value) and upgrade just like the rest of the world. Personally, I make sure I can afford it every time, whatever I have to do I do. My computers are very important to me, and I am in love with the iPad. I just can't wait until 10am tomorrow morning to find out the news!

And it is too bad that it looks like we are only getting one camera in the front, and that they had to abandon the HD video camera on the back due to engineering problems.

Oh one other thing, someone made a stupid comment about how I would be one to help fill the dump sites and be more harmful on the environment by doing what I do. But I am selling my iPad's after usage. I am not throwing them away. In fact, I am recycling them more than you can recycle anything, with no energy involved (besides a very short walk to The Apple Store). And since I am selling an iPad to someone who might otherwise buy one brand new, I am saving the resources that would go in to making two iPad's at the same time, and am just using the resources for one. Well, that is my logic thinking anyways :)

So yeah, I am so freaking excited I can't wait!!! I will be in my local Waikiki, Honolulu, Apple Store on Kalakaua at opening time in the morning. Hopefully buying a new iPad 2, otherwise I will be "borrowing" a new iPad 1 until the iPad 2 comes out, and I will just pay the difference in price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Yes, thank you! I think that the current resolution is very sharp and crisp. It makes watching a 720p HD movie quite spectacular. 1024x768 is the current gen 1 iPad resolution, just over the 720 required for 720p HD.
Umm, but isn't 720p 1280x720? So are you getting true 720p on a 1024x768 screen?

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I agree.

It's more fun to wait than to have one. Think of all of the threads you can be involved in!

LOL.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.