Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPad 2 in Production: Thinner, Lighter, Faster, No Retina Display

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Wall Street Journal claims that the next version of the iPad is now in production. They cite "people familiar with the matter".
The new device will be thinner, lighter and will come with a faster processor, more memory and a more powerful graphics processor, said the people familiar with the matter. It will have a front-facing camera for the first time for features like video-conferencing, but the resolution of the new iPad's display will be similar to the first iPad, they said.
The new iPad will be available through both Verizon and AT&T but not Sprint or T-Mobile, according to the newspaper.

Article Link: iPad 2 in Production: Thinner, Lighter, Faster, No Retina Display

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Ok, so confirming what John Gruber claimed on Daring Fireball. It's a bummer that there won't be a hi-res display, but that seemed like a pipe dream anway until at least next year. I'll still be buying one come launch day :)

Comment

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
well, given that the display will be roughly similar to my Macbook Pro 13" I don't think, unlike some.. that the lack of "Retina" display will be a reason for not buying this...

Get real, people!

Comment

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
No better resolution. No thanks. I'll save my money for iPad 3. Looking at my iPhone 4 screen and then the current iPad, there's a huge difference in clarity.

Comment

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
Not a surprise, but for me... no 2048x1536, no sale.

The existing iPad is no better at content consumption than my 13" MBP.

When the screen is sharp enough to make reading easier, I'll buy one.

Comment

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Might have to hold off on this one, especially if I want to get a new phone.

Comment

joskewarez

macrumors member
May 29, 2010
The new device will be thinner, lighter and will come with a faster processor, more memory and a more powerful graphics processor,
wooow, what a news. :confused:
Is there anyone on earth who think, they are producing a new ipad that is thicker, much heavier, with a slower processor and with less powerful graphics proecessor?

Comment

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Sounds like a controlled leak to me. Dampen unrealistic expectations, whilst raising iPad awareness into the mainstream media once again.

Comment

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
No better resolution. No thanks. I'll save my money for iPad 3. Looking at my iPhone 4 screen and then the current iPad, there's a huge difference in clarity.

I'm pretty happy with my iPad. I've never had it crash or slow down yet. I can't same the same for my iPhone 3G though ;)

Comment

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I'm confused...what does "similar resolution" mean?

Similar =/= identical.

Are they suggesting we'll seen an increase in resolution with the iPad 2, but not a "Retina" display? Interesting.

Comment

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
And where is the news in this?? it's in production? That was predicted
as was everything mentioned. How about some answers on whether there are any extra ports or the camera resolution or maybe some news?

Comment

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Feels like the iPhone all over again. I bought an original iPhone on iDay. The 3G didn't wow me, so I held off until the 3GS. Then again, I bought an iPhone 4 a year later.

I've had my iPad since day one. I might sit out the first revision, again, and wait for 2012 to upgrade.

Hard call at this point. My heart says buy and my brain says wait.

Comment

dlundgren

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
No higher res, no sale

Current iPad resolution is awful for reading text-intensive documents, which is the main reason I had an iPad (I sold it due to the screen being horrible). Will wait for a better screen to buy.

Comment

saltcured

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
pdx
I'm glad there's not a higher res screen, the graphics card required to run games, etc. at 2048x1536 would suck up a lot of power and probably be slow too.

Comment

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Not a surprise, but for me... no 2048x1536, no sale.

The existing iPad is no better at content consumption than my 13" MBP.

When the screen is sharp enough to make reading easier, I'll buy one.

I also want a better resolution for reading. But seriously, 2048x1536? My expensive-ass dell ultrasharp IPS doesnt even have a resolution that high. Apple doesn't specialize in miracle making. I hope we do get at least a small rez bump with a solution for using older apps included (some sort of window maybe?). Fingers crossed.

Comment

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

Okay I'll give you "Clarity", but now be truthful.

You prefer reading books on your iPhone 4 over the iPad?

You prefer surfing the net on your iPhone 4 over the iPad?

You prefer viewing videos on your iPhone 4 over the iPad?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.