iPad 2 not really thinner

vincenz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Why is everyone so excited about the iPad 2 being 8.8 mm? I mean, other than the surprising fact that it's just a little thinner than an iPhone 4, in real world use, it will LOOK thicker than the original iPad.

If you look at the picture, you can see that the entire width of the 2 is thicker than the sides of original iPad, which because of the heavily-tapered back is technically all that you see when someone is using it in the real world.

It's a visual illusion and a damn good one, that coupled with equally brilliant marketing, has everyone giddy over it. In reality it'll actually look thicker. :eek:

Last edited:

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I don't believe you can call it a visual illusion when it is in fact 33% thinner. It also looks noticeably thinner to me. Not that the look really matters, what matters is how it feels in the hand and the people who have held it say it feels much thinner.

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
Wait... This has to be a wind up

I dont think they're 'out to get you' with visual mind tricks.

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I don't know.

My basic knowledge and ruler shows me, very clearly in fact, that 8.8 mm is indeed a shorter distance than 13.4 mm.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
HOLD UP.

So you're saying that the 'visual trick' actually makes the iPad 2 seem THICKER compared to the iPad 1? And they need to remind you that it's actually crazy thinner than before?

OR

Is it the other way around?

[DL]

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Louisiana
I don't believe you can call it a visual illusion when it is in fact 33% thinner. It also looks noticeably thinner to me. Not that the look really matters, what matters is how it feels in the hand and the people who have held it say it feels much thinner.
Wait... This has to be a wind up

I dont think they're 'out to get you' with visual mind tricks.
I don't know.

My basic knowledge and ruler shows me, very clearly in fact, that 8.8 mm is indeed a shorter distance than 13.4 mm.
lol..its thinner.

maybe you should stop buying your measuring tapes at bestbuy or walmart:rolleyes:
These. It is very clearly thinner.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Ha Ha They fooled everyone....;)

It's not really faster either. They just use a different measuring tool.

The same tool they use to measure the thickness.

They will also, tell you your wallet isn't thinner after March 11th.

As, a matter of fact it only really look really thin next to Steve.....

No seriously, your argument is thin

Jcoz

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Why is everyone so excited about the iPad 2 being 8.8 mm? I mean, other than the surprising fact that it's just a little thinner than an iPhone 4, in real world use, it will LOOK thicker than the original iPad.

If you look at the picture, you can see that the entire width of the 2 is thicker than the sides of original iPad, which because of the heavily-tapered back is technically all that you see when someone is using it in the real world.

It's a visual illusion and a damn good one, that coupled with equally brilliant marketing, has everyone giddy over it. In reality it'll actually look thicker. :eek:

Have you looked at the hands on videos? It definitely does not in any way look thicker.....hell even if it was the SAME thickness, but they ditched the sides and tapered (as they did here) it would indeed STILL look thinner.

That is the illusion tapering allows. You've got it backwards. The tapering exaggerates the reduced size, it doesn't counter-act it.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
HOLD UP.

So you're saying that the 'visual trick' actually makes the iPad 2 seem THICKER compared to the iPad 1? And they need to remind you that it's actually crazy thinner than before?

OR

Is it the other way around?
I've been trying to puzzle this out too.

But if it's the first one, I don't care if it LOOKS thicker, as long as when *I* hold it, it's easier to hold. Now, thinner doesn't necessarily mean something is easier to hold -- case in point, the iPod touch 4 is so thin, I had to put it in a case for it to feel comfortable in my hand. So the jury is out on whether the new design is better than the old until I get a chance to hold the new iPad.

dstar

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
You can't just ignore the rounded back of the original iPad when comparing the two devices.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Neither my bookbag nor my work computer bag are affected by optical illusions. Only actual physical dimensions matter. Does 4mm make a difference? Not enough for me to worry about right now, but it could for some people.

Thin is nice, but I think it's more important in a pocket-able device like a phone. Unless you're this guy I guess:

dadoftwogirls

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Florida
I wish I could fool my wife in bed with this trick. "I know it looks thinner honey, but actually it is thicker it just an optical illusion." :p

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Yes, comparing the EDGE of the original iPad to the ENTIRE thickness of the iPad second generation is comparing Apples to Apples. :rolleyes:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Have you looked at the hands on videos? It definitely does not in any way look thicker.....hell even if it was the SAME thickness, but they ditched the sides and tapered (as they did here) it would indeed STILL look thinner.

That is the illusion tapering allows. You've got it backwards. The tapering exaggerates the reduced size, it doesn't counter-act it.
But you're forgetting the part where the iPad 2 has a FLAT back. That destroys the illusion once your eye hits that part.

And to some others, I'm not saying that the iPad 2 isn't physically thinner, I'm saying it doesn't LOOK thinner.

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2010
HELP ME... Apple's jedi mind tricks are working. Now whenever I look at Ipad 2 I just want to go out and buy it.