Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Is it really worth a new headline whenever someone thinks loud? I like if rumors based on some tiny fact or evidence that lead to speculation. But just based on thinking out loud? Someone thinks about how a case for the new iPad could look like - boom, headline - another guy thinks about how a case could look like and makes even a model - boom, headline - someone thinks it won't have high resolution - boom headline. .... please. I know, rumors are not fact, but they should have there roots on some creditable findings (and no, thinking is just thinking)
The pointless original posts can lead to some interesting discussions though. If you don't like them, don't read them and certainly don't waste your time saying you don't like them. :) At this stage none of the rumors about the iPad2 are really based on credible facts.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Maybe it is my 49 year old eyes but how much resolution do we need? Photos look great on my current iPad and I don't see (pun intended) how increased pixel count would make much difference. Though I must confess I haven't seen the iPhone's 4 display.

Then why even offer an opinion? You're clueless.

John Dillinger

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Arrggh!

Maybe there will be a high end option? With the adoption rate of corporations, the popularity in developing markets and obvious use for the iPad in an education setting, maybe Apple realizes they need multiple products.

They are very diverse markets with different needs. I would think Apple would want to avoid supply constraint by offering 2 display options.

Good - iPad 1.5 - lowered price or redesign to be lighter (to compete in education and with ebook readers)
Better - iPad 2 - front and rear camera, whiz-bang® chip (to compete with tablets on the market today)
Best - iPad 2.5 - front and rear camera, whiz-bang® chip, retina display (to make anyone thinking of getting into the tablet market go back to the drawing board)

Gosh Im sorry but why the heck are some of you so convinced the SCREEN is what's gonna send competitors back to the drawing board!!

I mean seriously normal people buying iPhone 4's are not doing it for the screen... its for the beautiful design.. performance... and basically because its the new cool.. iPhone! Seriously the screen is got to be the LEAST talked about thing in the real world outside macrumors on the iPhone 4. In fact I dont know anyone who come bragging about the screen.. the device, the design, even facetime ( the smoothness flipping cameras around) are talked of WAY more.

Apple can pump all the res it wants, if iOS 5 doesnt get UI overhaul it wil definitely lose mindshare (market share will stay/grao because of the brand)..

You guys seriously think a HIGH RES SCREEN... probably MADE BY SAMSUNG/LG/SHARP is gonna put Apple "Light years ahead"?? Sorry but thats idiotic. Wont take Samsung/lg/sharp/htc long at all if they want them seeing as they make the darned things. p.s. (Chinese also make the iPhone not magic Stevie dust) Are you guys for real?:rolleyes:

The user-experience is what has done.. not some retina display. And the app support.

I mean just look at the WebOS UI on these upcoming tablets...now thats light years ahead. But "oh no Apple's got higher res than you could possibly need"... "lets trash our super advanced UI, higher spec tablets as screen res is all that matters!!" LOL

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Larger IPS displays with comparable resolution are on the market.

HP ZR30W 30" 2560x1600 street price about $1,100
HP ZR24W 24" 1920x1200 street price about $400

Clearly a 10" display would cost a lot less than $400. Maybe $200?

Depends, smaller doesn't nececerally make it cheaper, i think you pay per pixel and not per inch for a screen.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Man so many possibilities, it's almost like watching a thriller movie streaming ahead to its end!

#1. The new iPad has doubled the linear resolution
#2. The new iPad has doubled the linear resolution but in an inferior panel (unlikely IMHO)
#3. The new iPad has a higher resolution but less than #1/2. I even heard some rumor about the new ipad having something something like 1400x1000. A puzzling rumor, but interesting. What can Apple do to minimize the compatibility problem?)
#4. The iPad will have the same resolution, just improved in brightness, etc
#5. The iPad will have the same old screen

I have no idea what it'll be but it's fun to watch the story develops. I'm still crossing my fingers for #1.

Gosh Im sorry but why the heck are some of you so convinced the SCREEN is what's gonna send competitors back to the drawing board!!
Apple can pump all the res it wants, if iOS 5 doesnt get UI overhaul it wil definitely lose mindshare (market share will stay/grao because of the brand)..

Many of us assume Apple will make incremental improvements as necessary, just like their added gestures in 4.3. I know many users wanted the OSX to change its look when Windows Vista came out, saying the OSX looked "dated" but Apple didn't do that. Instead they made little changes here and there and slowly added new stuff.

The problem is most people get excited when they see fancy new animations from the new UIs. Yes, animations can improve the user experience, but animations do not always mean a better user experience. Remember how people gushed over HTC's super fancy looking hub in Windows Phone 7 that was supposed to put everything to shame? In real usage, the animations were almost unbelievably overdone and made things worse, not better. That and the fact that nobody has even used Honeycomb and Playbook hasn't exactly proven itself either. The only thing that's even close to being proven in its usability is WebOS.

The user-experience is what has done.. not some retina display. And the app support.
The main reason we care so much about resolution in a tablet is that in a tablet, the smoothness of images and details in fonts are directly related to user experience and counts for a huge chunk of pleasantness when it comes to using the device. Because, well, a tablet's almost all screen and the current displays are far from being anywhere near what we see with printed publications.

Oh and most competitors simply cannot afford to even dream about such screen at this point. They just don't have the volume to have that type of screen at a reasonable pricing. If it wasn't Apple we wouldn't even think it's possible at all.

Last edited:

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
HUGE disappointment if the reported high resolution screen is not on iPad 2.:mad:

This. ^

It's not some new rumor we're talking about now. The iPad screen looks terrible compared to the other iOS products, and every person in the Apple user community has been waiting to see a high resolution, pixel-dense iPad since June 2010. For that NOT to arrive in the 2011 product refresh, would be horribly disappointing.

It's the only key component of the iPad that is not a guaranteed upgrade, and the only one that could really motivate iPad 1 buyers to trade up. Faster, thinner, longer battery...whatever. We know that's a given.

If the screen is still the same res, it will really disappoint, and there's no way around that. The display is EVERYTHING.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
But why higher resolution images in the iBooks app? Seems odd to worry about that over a year in advance (if the rumors don't pan out). But then, I guess it's possible they are testing some "iPad 3" units internally and it was no big deal to stick an additional .png in there.

That's my suspicion. The mere presence of higher resolution artwork in iBooks is inconclusive because there's also the presence of images in iOS 4.3 for a camera at 1024 × 768.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ

I mean seriously normal people buying iPhone 4's are not doing it for the screen... its for the beautiful design.. performance... and basically because its the new cool.. iPhone! Seriously the screen is got to be the LEAST talked about thing in the real world outside macrumors on the iPhone 4. In fact I dont know anyone who come bragging about the screen.. the device, the design, even facetime ( the smoothness flipping cameras around) are talked of WAY more.

You guys seriously think a HIGH RES SCREEN... probably MADE BY SAMSUNG/LG/SHARP is gonna put Apple "Light years ahead"?? Sorry but thats idiotic. Wont take Samsung/lg/sharp/htc long at all if they want them seeing as they make the darned things. p.s. (Chinese also make the iPhone not magic Stevie dust) Are you guys for real?:rolleyes:

I mean just look at the WebOS UI on these upcoming tablets...now thats light years ahead. But "oh no Apple's got higher res than you could possibly need"... "lets trash our super advanced UI, higher spec tablets as screen res is all that matters!!" LOL

You're absolutely clueless. The display is the entire product, and if you think the UI needs and overall, you need to stop skipping school.
Nice user name, what are you 8?

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
As far as I'm concerned we're getting a retina display, simply for these three reasons:

1) 2x size images for iPad found in iBooks app in iOS 4.3 Beta
2) SGX543 drivers found in iOS 4.3 Beta
3) GlobalDirectParts had a 2048x1536 resolution screen listed for sale @ ~$220 titled something like "iPad 2 LCD Screen"

And, there has still been other rumours about the iPad having a super high resolution screen, etc., it's enough for me.

Apple wants this device to be "magical", and they want to keep it ahead of the competition so that they maintain high market share for slates. And, the retina display is not only great, but great for marketing.

Who doesn't want to be able to watch full 1080p video on a slate? No other slate can actually do that... they can only output it to a TV or something like that.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010

A higher-res screen is the key factor in providing a better user experience because it will make the iPad2 a viable e-reader. Please try to keep up.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
If they do retina display on iPad, they will ask something to trade off. Apple might keep base iPad 16 g model as 499 dollars and slide in 2nd gen iPad to start at 599 and higher. They already do this with ipod touch.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
What's the gpu math look like? Can the gpu in the next iPad handle that high of a resolution? I doubt it especially when considering cost, size and battery life etc.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
What's the gpu math look like? Can the gpu in the next iPad handle that high of a resolution? I doubt it especially when considering cost, size and battery life etc.

See http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ore_sgx543_graphics_into_ipad_2_iphone_5.html

Specific to your question:
The most likely configuration of Apple's next custom chip is reportedly the SGX543MP2, which pairs two SGX543 cores to work as one, offering around four times the capability of the previous A4 in graphics and video tasks.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Oh man, at least give it a bump. Looking at the iP4 screen and then going to the iPad makes me feel like my vision is getting blurry.

Just a bump, please?

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Oh man, at least give it a bump. Looking at the iP4 screen and then going to the iPad makes me feel like my vision is getting blurry.

Just a bump, please?

U don't know how apps work...
U obviously think these apps will automatically adjust themselves to higher res? No.
It's double or nothing.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

"(There are 2048x1536 iPad prototypes in Cupertino. They’re not the iPad 2, though.)"

This makes sense to me. Of course there are whispers about a higher resolution display for the iPad, Apple works on products multiple generations out. Of course their internal app developers are creating double resolution graphics, it's a matter of when not if.

My name is Alex

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
I think that it would be in Apples best interest in the long run to have a doubling of the ppi count. Doubling is necessary. Anything less would cause fragmentation and a simple bump would not blow the competition out of the water.:apple:

ghostalker

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
Let's see

This will be the most interesting Apple update ever.

At issue is how Apple perceives the iPad and its market.

If Apple issues a typical “trickle feed” update it will signal that Apple is content to assume its typical place in the ecosystem, that of a niche player commanding the high profit segment.

If however Apple is aggressive in its update at the expense of high markup it will signal a move towards market hegemony.

Interesting times indeed!

P.S Best wishes Steve.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Technically they both could be right considering that resolution isn't technically a retina display. A 4x res of the current iPad is like 260ppi which is less than what Steve said is retina already (300ppi). So even if they did do a 4x pixel count it wouldn't be retina

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
The pointless original posts can lead to some interesting discussions though. If you don't like them, don't read them and certainly don't waste your time saying you don't like them. :) At this stage none of the rumors about the iPad2 are really based on credible facts.

You are wrong - other rumors about the display are based on things 'found' like:

1) 2x size images for iPad found in iBooks app in iOS 4.3 Beta
2) SGX543 drivers found in iOS 4.3 Beta
3) GlobalDirectParts had a 2048x1536 resolution screen listed for sale @ ~$220 titled something like "iPad 2 LCD Screen"

this rumor is based on someone thinking too loud. Yes he has the right to do that, but it is amazing how every blog picks it up as a fact "there will be no retina display"

spotlight07

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2007
iPad as it is now is 9-18 months ahead if you look at everything as a package, but the competition are catching up. They are not as far ahead with iPad 1 as they were with iPhone 1.

Tim Cook said they are not sitting on their hands. Also, iPad is Jobs' legacy (he did the thing Gates could never do, but always wanted) and he will not let Android step all over it. iPad 2 will have high resolution screen. This would be a good time to introduce a $399 7 inch 1024x768, to blow away the Playbook, and a 10 inch $599 2048x1536 to put iPad years ahead of anyone else.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
A few points:

1. Gruber is LOVED by Apple. He gets leaks from the highest sources, right up to Exec level at Apple, even from Jobs.

2. Gruber is right, the next iPad will be 1028x768 like todays. The double images found in iBooks were found in a version of the app (not the iOS itself) months ago and have since been removed. Images of the new camera app for iPad are in 1028x768 format and since the current iPad has no camera the new images must be for the iPad 2.

3. No one, no one has ever delivered let alone made a retina like display in a 10 size. The cost will be immense in 2011 to do so, even on the large 25-30 MILLION scale Apple plans to sell at iPad 2 at in 2011. The new GPU and CPU specs are very impressive but even they would struggle mightly trying to run a retina display, in particular with games. The amount of RAM would have to likely jump from 256 MB to 2 GB!!! in order to power that screen and still try to run apps smoothly.

4. Apple can well afford to take less profit on occasion but the iPad is quickly becoming 1/4 of their revenue, they can't just use it as a loss leader and eat the cost of all that tech, RAM, and screen.

I firmly, firmly believe Apple knows that a retina display will come to the iPad, they are investing BILLIONS to make it happen with back door deals with screen makers (hinted at during their earnings call) but that it all comes to fruition in 2012, not 2011.

This iPad will be about being a bit thinner, lighter, faster, and with cameras... but most important it will be about iOS 5. Everyone talking about iPad 2, the new Android tablets, the new RIM tablet etc. keep talking about the hardware but the magic is the SOFTWARE. I think the real big hit this year will be iOS 5 with new notification systems, a file system, and most important the cord will be cut and iOS devices will be cloud integrated throughout the entire OS and will not longer require a PC for anything. iOS 5 will be what leaps ahead of Android 3.0 this year, not a retina display that is coming in 2012.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.