iPad 2 - safe to order now (screen bleeding issue)? Opinions appreciated.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sermon, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Sermon macrumors regular

Judging from all those posts on various message boards the screen bleeding issue is quite bigger than the normal issues we're usually getting with a new product launch by Apple. It'd be interesting to find out how many units are affected and how many are not, but the way it reads it seems that this is a really serious issue.

I ordered iPad 2 on March 25 from Apple's Online Store and the estimated dispatch is April 15. I am now seriously considering cancellation of the order, until Apple has sorted the problem. Of course, there's always the chance that Apple will have found a solution to the problem by the time my order ships and my iPad 2 won't be affected. What do you think? Cancel and order again when it's safe or don't cancel and hope for the best?

I'd like to hear people's opinions and maybe even someone is in the same situation as myself. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Don't cancel your order. Enjoy your iPad 2. Don't over think it, don't look for flaws. If, while using your iPad, you come across a HUGE gigantic, blazingly obvious f l a w (read: that which is *not* an inherent characteristic of hardware, like LCD), then proceed to an apple store for a refund.

Unless you plan on operating your ipad in complete darkness, with brightness set at 100%, watching movies 24/7, backlight bleeding should NOT be an issue for you.
    Don't go looking for flaws. Let them be self-evident.

3. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Except that on the two iPad 2s I bought yesterday there is very apparent bleed at only 50% brightness, and absolutely none on my iPad 1.

It's a myth to say it's something you have to look hard for. And the fact that neither of my iPad 1s exhibit the problem suggests it's not an inherent LCD issue, either.

I'm going to see what my online iPad 2 order brings in a couple of weeks. Maybe they'll have improved the problem, maybe not.

4. shandyman Suspended

well i got mine on launch day here in the UK, no screen bleed. if i do the extreme thing that alot of people are doing just to find a problem, ie going into a pitch black room and whacking the brightness on full, then i have a slight bleed. on normal brightness in a dark room you can't see one and in normal use, no bleed at all.

alot of people are going looking for a problem and doing extreme things, so it's not as bad as people make out. that being said, there are some with genuine light bleed issues in normal conditions, but they're not a huge amount imho.

5. JM2-uk macrumors member

I suggest you see it in the flesh. I would not trust an online order. I have seen many and most have been varying levels of terrible.

6. JM2-uk macrumors member

Exactly.

7. superbaguy macrumors newbie

Report from Best Buy sales...

In my quest to obtain one yesterday, a Best Buy employee told me one was returned Saturday morning that severe bleed that extended 1/3 of the way down the screen. He claimed that the white ones have a bigger problem, but I'm not sure his sample size for making that claim is at all meaningful.

That hasn't caused me to cancel my order--especially since none of the display models in any store I've been to have the issue. A YouTube video convinced me that some iPad 1 models had this issue too.

8. JM2-uk macrumors member

I had my hands on *many* ipad1s for varying reasons. I never saw backlight bleed.

I have had my hands on *many* ipad2s. They ALL had backlight bleed. You do not have to believe this, its simply a statement of fact :)

9. Jmouse macrumors 6502

What is the light bleeding exactly looks Like?

10. shandyman Suspended

11. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

This.

No wait, scratch that. Based on the tenor of your post you will not be happy. Even if there is no discernable flaws during practical use in the unit you get, the seed has been planted and you'll be back posting "Should I return it?" threads.

I say cancel your order now, free up the unit for someone else, and move on.

FWIW, I saw some backlight bleed when I first turned my unit on. "Hmm, yeah, there it is, lower left hand corner." And I haven't noticed it since nor have I gone looking for it.

12. Sermon thread starter macrumors regular

Have you ever seen one *without* any bleeding?

So far I have seen three in the flesh and there was no noticeable bleeding, but that was in a well lit shop. I have never had an issue with any Apple product (and I have bought quite a few in my time) and therefore always thought reports like these to be exaggerated, but this seems to be a different, a bigger issue.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions and experiences - keep them coming. They'll help me make my decision.

13. JM2-uk macrumors member

All of the ones I have seen in the flesh had bad bleeding. It was evident when playing games and watching films.

14. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I notice some screen bleed when I first turned my iPad on to sync with iTunes (black screen with plug in middle). That was two weeks ago...Haven't noticed it since. Non-issue unless you have OCD.

15. shandyman Suspended

with mine, my mate's and his GF's iPad 2's, we've got no bleed issue in casual use or even with going and looking for it. so it's really hit and miss i suppose

16. Sermon thread starter macrumors regular

I usually don't go looking for flaws and I can certainly live with an amount of backlight bleeding the way you describe it. However, if this is a severe issue that affects a great number of units, it'd be stupid (at least in my opinion) to order now.

I certainly won't be posting "Should I send this back?" threads - no worries. :)

Like I said, all of my Apple products have been flawless so far, but this is (due to the unusually high numbers of complaints) the first time I'm a little uncertain, hence the hesitation.

17. gatearray macrumors 65816

Bad luck for you, I guess. Not indicative of factual numbers, though.

My iPad 1 had a little bleed, as did many others, with some cases extreme. Search the archives of this very forum and you will see this is nothing new or exclusive to the iPad 2.

My iPad 2 has the same slight amount (in the lower left hand corner,) but then again, my iMac and HD television exhibit a little of this, as well.

18. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Again with the OCD. I don't think someone needs to be suffering from OCD to give crap if the $500 plus screen they're holding in their hand has an annoying flaw.

19. macsolo macrumors newbie

OP. If I was in your position I would be really concerned about the backlight bleeding because of all the discussions about it.

TBH, I've got a White iPad 2 and although the bleeding exists it's well within tolerable parameters. Think about it, how often is the screen only black (maybe some movies but still it's rare).

20. JM2-uk macrumors member

I speak from experience when I say these things in that my business was connected with this type of hardware :)

When I say firsthand experience of 'many', I mean many of both ipad 1 and 2 :D

Ipad 1 was never a problem screenwise. Ipad 2 is.

21. JM2-uk macrumors member

Just as a complete random example, I see this image just posted in the other thread which epitomises the issue:

[​IMG]

That is typical and unacceptable for current LCD tech.

22. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

No, that is not a typical example, based on what others have reported and shown. That looks to be a more extreme condition. However, the brightness appears to be jacked up in a low light condition, which is also not a typical usage. If a user has these sort of fringe needs, they'd be better served looking for specialty hardware (and paying the premium price that is not included in mass manufactured, middle of the road targeting, consumer units).

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, if you buy a brand new car which looks fine, but when you shine a torch on the paintwork at night you can see the whole bodywork is covered in scratches that you did not notice in normal daylight conditions, then you should just accept it like that and be happy that normally you can't see the problem.
    :D

24. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

pictures or a film being played in a dark room at 50% brightness please

25. JM2-uk macrumors member

As I keep saying, I am not a man with 1 faulty ipad :) I see a lot of these and they are unacceptable with today's tech in LCD.

ALL of the ones I have seen did *not* have their light levels elevated; I set them (as the test) to auto brightness.

Every one (and it is a lot) see the same issue in differing areas - on auto brightness.