Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
Why haven't these people used magnification to determine the density of the pixels? It would be quite easy to determine the resolution.

If the screen resolution isn't increased things might be bad for AAPL. I think it will be a massive disappointment. Apple has become some conservative on hardware specs recently( the camera on itouch, memory on iPad, no wireless sync, USB ports on MacBook )

Well I would like the increased Res an I agree people will complain, but people will complain anyhow so...

Still it seems a little too soon for Apple to present such a High Res... Wish I was wrong...

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Hmm

A thinner ipad with the same resolution and terrible camera? Sounds like it was worth the yearly wait.

Not to troll, but I'm going to seriously be viewing Android. I don't get it. Apple is sitting on massive amounts of cash and can dominate the market once and for all. By the time an adequate display comes out to impress me, odds are that AMOLED will be cheap enough, completely missing the chance to impress with a retina display. I just don't understand apple's strategy. I will say I'm glad I bought a Macbook Air instead of waiting for this upcoming crummy piece of hardware. It is a hell of a lot more useful. And faster. And only marginally more expensive, unless Apple comes out with the 128 SSDs for ipad.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
I will say I'm glad I bought a Macbook Air instead of waiting for this upcoming crummy piece of hardware. It is a hell of a lot more useful. And faster. And only marginally more expensive, unless Apple comes out with the 128 SSDs for ipad.

999-499=500

$500 is marginally more expensive? o_O

xeoh85

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
Two possibilities...

The fact that these pictures were released by a tech site but they have not even attempted to magnify the screen to determine if there is a resolution difference tells me that either of two things are likely. Either:

1) this is a fake, and 9to5 mac is just trolling for page hits by being coy; or

2) this is real, and it is a retina display, but 9to5 mac is being silent on the issue because they don't want to end up getting sued and blacklisted like Gizmodo.

If it was real and NOT a retina display, 9to5 mac would have told us by now.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada

Update: One commenter at 9 to 5 Mac has deciphered the new screen's model number of LP097X02-SLN1 as indicating a 9.7-inch H-IPS display from LG with the same 1024 x 768 resolution as the current iPad. :rolleyes:

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
The fact that these pictures were released by a tech site but they have not even attempted to magnify the screen to determine if there is a resolution difference tells me that either of two things are likely. Either:

2) this is real, and it is a retina display, but 9to5 mac is being silent on the issue because they don't want to end up getting sued and blacklisted like Gizmodo.

I don't necessarily agree with you, but I was wondering why they haven't figured out the resolution yet. It should be very easy...

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The image is deceiving as the new LCD has a black boarder for the AG. The real change is thickness. The iPad2 screen is much thinner.

It has the same resolution as the current iPad.

If you got Retina Resolution with the new CPU, and GPU in the iPad2, well, let's just say your battery life would be a "challenge". :apple:

absynth

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2009
Let's all hope for a killer A4 upgrade, (whatever they decide to call it.) More ram, more storage options and less weight. And I guess cameras.... sure, why not?

The real place Apple could just crush the competition is battery life. Add 5 more hours to the iPad and Samsung/RIM will just cry.

Exactly. But you are contradicting yourself concerning the A4 upgrade. This is why i hope the dual core 1.2 GHz A9 rumor is false. The A9 has about 20% more transistor count (due to out-of order execution logic), and has a 20% faster clock compared to the Apple A4 in the ipad. This equals to 44 % more juice needed. However, Moore's law also dictates twice the efficieny every two years (node bump) which equals to about 41% less power for the same chip year on year.
So a 1.2 Ghz single core A9 will roughly equal last year's 1 Ghz Cortex A8 in power usage.
However, if they put a dual core in there, it will soak almost double the juice of the old chip. if they make it thinner and lighter as well, no way will battery life be improved.

I'd prefer 150% the performance, lighter and slightly longer battery life to 250% the performance, lighter and less battery life.

Last edited:

PaulFitz

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
The resolution issue is the main thing that will make me consider getting iPad 2. If resolution stays the same, there's basically no way I'd get one (already have iPad 1).

I have a feeling a lot of others might feel the same way (well...at least amongst those I've talked to). :)

Yep, everyone I have talked too is in the same boat. Will not upgrade until resolution is higher. I thought Apple marketing research would have determined that. Oh well I am sure a lot of people who have never bought an iPad might buy this..

However how long until a Google tablet with higher res comes out? Apple will need to release another iPad this year of Google tablets will pass them.

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
Yep, everyone I have talked too is in the same boat. Will not upgrade until resolution is higher. I thought Apple marketing research would have determined that. Oh well I am sure a lot of people who have never bought an iPad might buy this..

However how long until a Google tablet with higher res comes out? Apple will need to release another iPad this year of Google tablets will pass them.

Yup, The problem with resolution is that you see a lot of other tablets in the already which have higher resolution... If it turns out to stay the same a lot of people ( at least those who care for these sort of things ) will question that...

dlundgren

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Great! Now I don't have to wait for iPad2 any longer.

No improved resolution, no purchase for me. Current resolution is a joke for serious reading.

WyoMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Yup, The problem with resolution is that you see a lot of other tablets in the already which have higher resolution....

Help me out here. What tablets are on the market that have higher resolution, run Honeycomb, and are in the same price range as the iPad? I'm ready to buy now if you will point me in the right direction.

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
Help me out here. What tablets are on the market that have higher resolution, run Honeycomb, and are in the same price range as the iPad? I'm ready to buy now if you will point me in the right direction.

Motorola Xoom for example (if it is not for sale now it should be soon)
There are or will be others soon... Probably even before the iPad 2...

The Honeycomb part is the hardest actually because it was just announced I don't even know if developers have access to it yet...

kdarling

macrumors P6

Or:

3) Most so-called "tech" sites are nothing of the sort, with no engineers or tech knowledge other than what they copy from other sites.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Should have pushed the size to 11".

It would have been better able to compete with the avalanche of Tegra 2 Androids coming out. It would have been actually useful for PDFs and for magazines.

As it is now, the iPad 2 will get surpassed withing a few months by the competition.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
999-499=500

$500 is marginally more expensive? o_O

How much is the 64 GB ipad? $700?

For $250 more with a student discount, you get a keyboard, and a much better computer, a much better screen, a far better OS, and the list goes on and on. Also, you get a computer you can sync an ipad to!

As the point was to compare 64GB models essentially. The iPad isn't much cheaper and still needs a computer to run.

Last edited:

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
A thinner ipad with the same resolution and terrible camera? Sounds like it was worth the yearly wait.

Not to troll, but I'm going to seriously be viewing Android. I don't get it. Apple is sitting on massive amounts of cash and can dominate the market once and for all. By the time an adequate display comes out to impress me, odds are that AMOLED will be cheap enough, completely missing the chance to impress with a retina display. I just don't understand apple's strategy. I will say I'm glad I bought a Macbook Air instead of waiting for this upcoming crummy piece of hardware. It is a hell of a lot more useful. And faster. And only marginally more expensive, unless Apple comes out with the 128 SSDs for ipad.

Admit it, you're trolling. There's no proof one way or the other yet what the resolution of the new screen will be, and even if the camera is the same one used in the iPhone, it's still better than most of the ones in Android phones. The display, even for being as 'poor' as you claim, is still remarkably good as I've had absolutely no difficulty viewing it and had no complaints about poor resolution with the existing one. Quite honestly, I'm thinking the 'retina' display is going to be overkill. Now, if it is amoled, that could make the existing display look somewhat better, but for the moment I can't really say it's going to be worth upgrading from my current iPad.

Honestly, the iPad serves me better than any laptop I've owned since I can do almost everything with it that I did with the laptop itself--short of writing a novel. However, I do believe I could do that too--by simply tying my Bluetooth keyboard back to it.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Admit it, you're trolling. There's no proof one way or the other yet what the resolution of the new screen will be, and even if the camera is the same one used in the iPhone, it's still better than most of the ones in Android phones. The display, even for being as 'poor' as you claim, is still remarkably good as I've had absolutely no difficulty viewing it and had no complaints about poor resolution with the existing one. Quite honestly, I'm thinking the 'retina' display is going to be overkill. Now, if it is amoled, that could make the existing display look somewhat better, but for the moment I can't really say it's going to be worth upgrading from my current iPad.

Honestly, the iPad serves me better than any laptop I've owned since I can do almost everything with it that I did with the laptop itself--short of writing a novel. However, I do believe I could do that too--by simply tying my Bluetooth keyboard back to it.

I think you're trolling my reply. I mentioned that Android's upcoming competition blows the rumors on the upcoming iPad out of the water. There will be no hardware reason to buy the iPad next year over the current model it seems, although LG is releasing a sweet looking model with 720p-which the ipad doesn't have-and 3d capabilities. In fact, it seems everyone's releasing better displays and as nice as iPad is currently, that's last year. I do not believe the average consumer wants thinner for the iPad...and this is coming from someone who loves the Macbook Air for its thinness, but primarily lightweightedness.

So I think its reasonable for people on this forum to be disappointed. Besides, wouldn't it be nice for there to be a difference between the iPad and the iPod besides real estate? Simply put, I have an iPod 4. I'm getting an iPhone 5. And I see no reason to get a big screened iPod 4.5, especially when I'm very happy with my Macbook Air. It gets good battery life. It has a faster processor, can play more complex games, runs whatever I want when I want it to run it. And it can sync with an iPad if I so choose. If the 64 GB model is only ~$250 more than the iPad and you have the extra $250, I see no reason to get the iPad, but that might be me.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
How much is the 64 GB ipad? $700?

For $250 more with a student discount, you get a keyboard, and a much better computer, a much better screen, a far better OS, and the list goes on and on. Also, you get a computer you can sync an ipad to!

As the point was to compare 64GB models essentially. The iPad isn't much cheaper and still needs a computer to run.

The "much better computer" is weak compared to the OS platform as a whole, where as the iPad is the strongest of it's platform.

The "much better screen" is just not true at all.

MBA 11.6" - 768x1366 (16:9)
iPad 9.7" - 768x1024 (4:3) IPS

Not to mention that the iPad screen can be rotated giving the vertical area closer to that of a 15" MBP, and the 11" Air can feel like a room with six foot ceilings. To each his own, though.

Also, the iPad doesn't "need a computer to run" as you say, either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.