Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

192653-image5_500.jpg

iFixYouri and 9to5Mac have posted photos of what is said to be the new iPad 2 screen.
At this point, we cannot tell if the resolution is higher (or “Retina”) but it is definitely higher quality in terms of its build. The iPad 2′s display is also lighter, and over a mm thinner than the current iPad’s display with a smaller surrounding frame.
No other details (such as resolution) have been revealed, but the slightly thinner screen agrees with previous analyst reports that claim that the iPad 2's screen will be 30-35% thinner as well as offering an anti-reflective coating for better outdoor usage.

Apple is widely expected to release a new iPad in the first quarter of this year.

Article Link: iPad 2 Screen Parts Circulating

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
I still think iPad 2 will have a x4 display, as in december of 2010, ibooks 1.2 launched, with the wood tile image. Wood Tile@2x.Png is 1536x800 pixels. Its hard to believe Apple was this far along in testing ipad 3 that it got into ibooks app, 18 months before its launch

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Exciting! April/May can't get here soon enough!

Previously, someone was able to discern the approximate resolution of the iPhone 4, I think, by closely examining such a pre-release display.

there were able to due so becuase it was hooked up to an iphone and could boot up to the connect to itunes screen (this was the gizmodo bar phone)
plus they could only really tell it was much higher resolution, they couldn't figure out the actualy resolution

(its kind of hard when you can't even see those pixels with your naked eye:D)

Anyways i believe this years ipad will have the same resolution

(but i certainly think they should be able to figure out the res somehow from the parts)

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
I still think iPad 2 will have a x4 display, as in december of 2010, ibooks 1.2 launched, with the wood tile image. Wood Tile@2x.Png is 1536x800 pixels. Its hard to believe Apple was this far along in testing ipad 3 that it got into ibooks app, 18 months before its launch

That was exactly the time frame of development of the iPhone4.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Hopefully I'll have enough money for this thing when it comes out - especially if I want a new iPhone sooner or later.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
A full sheet of metal on the back. I wonder if it will serve as the main internal support structure.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Question though... If the screen is suppose to be anti glare then why is it that in the 9to5 mac pictures it seems more shiny then the first ipads screen!? I think its a retnia display or at least better quality based on the color, look at a iphone 3gs screen when its turned off... it seems like its a grey color right? Now look at a iphone 4 screen off and it seems deep black... NOW compare ipad 1 screen to ipad 2... ipad 2's screen is a deep black while the ipad 1 is grey!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.