Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
The person who wrote the "iPad" and "iPad 2" in the pictures with the little circles for dots on the i's is JUST ADORABLE!! :p

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
how hard is it to examine pixel density under a microscope. especially for a take-it-apart site like ifixit?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
is it that time of the month again?

Well we ARE talking about pads here ... :rolleyes:

And, we're also talking about leaks. Most women will tell you, when it comes to that time of the month, leaks associated with pads are really not a good thing... :eek:

iPhone, iPad, iOS..

What about Macs? MBP?

Given the latest news about the Intel chip recall, I'm guessing any news that had been planned regarding Macs is going to be delayed for a while...

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
how hard is it to examine pixel density under a microscope. especially for a take-it-apart site like ifixit?

They can't show all their cards just yet - there's more traffic to be had!

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Wonder if it'll be AMOLED? considering the screen is thinner

Samsung is struggling to produce enough for its own products. I'm sure I read a report on MR that suggested that Apple had considered Amoled for the iPad but discounted it because it didn't want to deal with inevitable production bottlenecks.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
I love how it´s anti glare but clearly shows reflection in every picture they took.

MacApple21

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
Denmark
I seriously am amazed that people are finding specs and details from that photo.

I really wish the display had a higher resolution. However, I did get gift cards for an iPad 2 for the Holidays, and I held off on iPad 1.

So, whatever is getting released is what I'm getting!

In the long run, would Apple want the iPad to have annual updates like the iPhone, or would they be better off having slightly more silent bumps, as in the iMac cycle, where they could upgrade more gradually?

Do they view this as an annual "shock" product, or, a computer that will eventually get incremental updates?

Just a basic question.

I don't see it becoming an incrementally updated product. I don't think it will be just as easy to update it frequently as it is with eg. an iMac, due to the much smaller formfactor. Furthermore I think that :apple: like the "annual-thing" because it translate into an incredible amount of hype.

antster94

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
London, UK
Can't they just put both screens under microscopes with a light behind each one and see if there are more pixels in the iPad 2?!

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Surely the anti glare would have to be on the actual glass and not on the screen it's self?

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Surely the anti glare would have to be on the actual glass and not on the screen it's self?

True, but then they might use a similar manufacturing process to that of the iPhone 4, in which case they will laminate the glass directly onto the display.. so you could consider it part of the display component.

Incidently, I love this feature of the iPhone 4 - no more little specks working their way in between the display and the glass..hurrah!

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London

Yep. But i wondered if iPad 2 was getting it's screen glued to the glass just as iPhone 4s is. No one has mentioned if that panel actually has glass attached, or if that's something we haven't seen yet.

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Yep. But i wondered if iPad 2 was getting it's screen glued to the glass just as iPhone 4s is. No one has mentioned if that panel actually has glass attached, or if that's something we haven't seen yet.

Yeah I was thinking that. But if you think about it, the screen component would then be the basic shape of the iPad. It would need to have a little whole for the home button too ( if indeed the iPad 2 has one ;) )

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

In the photos on 9to5mac the LCD on the 'iPad 2' screen looks noticeably darker to the original iPad, similar to how the iPhone 4's LCD was darker than the 3Gs

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
Wow!

Two nearly identical side-by-side pictures of iPad screens

I may die with excitement !

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
a while being a few weeks at most, intel already has rectified it and started producing the "working" chips.

Jeez you people have no idea what is really going on with the Intel stuff.

It's not the chips that were faulty, it was the chipsets that were faulty. Actually a single part in particular, the SATA II controller included with the chipset. The SATA III controller remains unaffected and will never have issues.

Considering that Apple generally only uses one SATA controller for their laptops (even the iMacs only have two, maybe three SATA devices in them) there is no way that this chipset issue will impact Apple. The only thing this might impact is the next Mac Pro, but that isn't true because the Xeon stuff isn't even out yet and won't be a part of this either.

The Macrumors article posted the other day about it was really vague and people didn't know what it was about. The fact is that Apple is not delayed at all by this issue, and intel has not stopped making Sandy Bridge chips, but they have recalled all motherboards that use any of the chipsets with the problematic SATA II controller. The chipset that Apple uses is not even going to be a part of this unless Apple chooses one with a SATA II controller for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.