Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
I never liked the size of the icons on the springboard. They are just too huge.
It would look much better if it was smaller like in this picture.
Then I can put more apps on each page. :D

Attachments

• ipad_2_by_mauriziocorso77-d35j3xh2.png
    ipad_2_by_mauriziocorso77-d35j3xh2.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
It does not lack power...
3. Do not take this with any authority... But somewhere along the way, I remember seeing an article where someone jail broke theirs and plugged in a jump drive. Now, real external hard-drives that get power from USB may be a quick battery drainer.

Before updating to iOS 4.2 (and again when a decent JB is available), my iPad was JB'd, and, yes, there is an app that let's you navigate the filesystem, including external media attached to the USB adaptor from the camera kit. However, the USB port does not provide enough power to power real external hard drives, not even a 4GB micro drive that I have.

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
I think that form factor is probably correct, everything else is up in the air.

SD card won't be for storage, it'll be for camera imports.

iRockMan1

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
Nashville, Tn
Tapered edges? I don't like tapered edges. The reason I think the iPad and iPhone 4 are gorgeous compared to the iPod Touch is because the edges aren't tapered (and because they don't use that shiny metal).

Prime Mover

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
For those of you, like KnightWRX, who are complaining about the lack of USB and storage hardware/software support, I hear ya, I'm with you, but at the same time, I've come to realize that this is one of the many reasons that the iPad simply isn't for us. Not to mock the iPad in the slightest, it's an amazing media and gaming device, and I have come to have a deep amount of respect for it for being as good as it is in that field.

At the same time, I'm a musician and professional video producer. Let's face it, the iPad is NOT a development/design device. Apple has had a long standing love affair with designers, and they still do, but the iPad is not for them. For instance, my next synthesizer (I'm a keyboardist) will be computer based software synth. Will it be an iPad? Not a chance. It will be a MacBook Pro. Will my next big TV commercial be editted on an iPad? Not a chance, I'll produce it on my MacPro tower.

Can an iPad run software synthesizers, can it run video editors? Yes. Is the device designed in any way to be convenient and powerful enough to operate these things? Absolutely not.

So look, I have long complained about the lack of MIDI support on the iPhone/iPad. Well, it's here (as of the last iOS update), and ya know what, I'm suddenly left wondering, "why the hell did I really want MIDI support anyway?"

We're asking for way more than this thing is really designed to do. We may yet get the things we're asking for, but even then, most of the time we're going to realize that the iPad is just not the best way of dealing with those sorts of tasks.

If I ever get an iPad, it will be used for automatically flipping sheet music, and that's about it.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Yeah, only the 3G would be affected but I guess they would change both. Having said that, I don't know if this is really a "law" as such. It is pushed by the industry association GSMA, and the project timeline shows implementation to be complete in 2012, so this model doesn't need to comply.

BTW it is micro-USB, not mini-USB.

Also, the microUSB is for charging only, there was no agreement that it had to accept data as well. Furthermore, AFAIK the device doesn't need to sport a microUSB, just be able to be charged via a microUSB, so an adapter cable instead of a specific charger will mean that a device meets the spirit of the agreement.

Another thing that many overlook is that the agreement is for mobile phones, but the iPad draws considerably more power in order to charge - more than most standard USB hubs etc. can currently deliver - so the iPad will probably not even be compatible with the universal charging standard that was agreed to (just speculating as I haven't seen any tech-specs on anything in regards to the agreement).

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Tapered edges? I don't like tapered edges. The reason I think the iPad and iPhone 4 are gorgeous compared to the iPod Touch is because the edges aren't tapered (and because they don't use that shiny metal).

Best of luck picking up an iPad with a perfectly flat back from a table. Especially with one hand, like I can do now.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
How do I connect my USB keyboard to a dock connector and how is that a OS software issue ?

Unless you're thinking of a Dock to USB adapter dongle (which doesn't yet exist aside from the camera kit).

There are other solutions.Bluetooth,Apple's very nice keyboard dock.Can't see USB keyboards as an issue.And yes,software (iOS)is a BIG issue.If it does have a USB port people who are thinking they are going to connect printers and hard drives to it are going to be severely disappointed.

koiaug

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
I just pee'd alittle.

In all seriousness, I love these rumours, really gets the adrenaline flowing.

That's a little odd of you. When I pee, I empty the whole bag.

For those hoping for USB or more connectivity, you'll be disappointed. Go get a Samsung or a RIM. The iPad is about mobility without the extra add-ons.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

The tapered edges are a must. The user should be able to easily pick up an iPad if it is laying on a flat surface.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
For those of you, like KnightWRX, who are complaining about the lack of USB and storage hardware/software support, I hear ya, I'm with you, but at the same time, I've come to realize that this is one of the many reasons that the iPad simply isn't for us. Not to mock the iPad in the slightest, it's an amazing media and gaming device, and I have come to have a deep amount of respect for it for being as good as it is in that field.

At the same time, I'm a musician and professional video producer. Let's face it, the iPad is NOT a development/design device. Apple has had a long standing love affair with designers, and they still do, but the iPad is not for them. For instance, my next synthesizer (I'm a keyboardist) will be computer based software synth. Will it be an iPad? Not a chance. It will be a MacBook Pro. Will my next big TV commercial be editted on an iPad? Not a chance, I'll produce it on my MacPro tower.

Can an iPad run software synthesizers, can it run video editors? Yes. Is the device designed in any way to be convenient and powerful enough to operate these things? Absolutely not.

So look, I have long complained about the lack of MIDI support on the iPhone/iPad. Well, it's here (as of the last iOS update), and ya know what, I'm suddenly left wondering, "why the hell did I really want MIDI support anyway?"

We're asking for way more than this thing is really designed to do. We may yet get the things we're asking for, but even then, most of the time we're going to realize that the iPad is just not the best way of dealing with those sorts of tasks.

If I ever get an iPad, it will be used for automatically flipping sheet music, and that's about it.

Exactly.
People need to go back and watch Steve's introduction.It's simply a case of Not Getting It to complain that the iPad is not a laptop.It was not ever meant to be.
Reminds me of what Carmack said about the complaints that Rage was a rail shooter."You might as well say why didn't you make it a dower defense game?".
Point being it was conceived as a rail shooter.It you don't like rails it's not for you.The iPad was conceived as what it is.If you want a "real" computer Apple and others will be happy to sell you one.
I have a macbook and don't need a tablet version of the same thing.I also have a food processor,blender,and mixer.All similar,all better a some things than the other two.

absynth

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2009
I would prefer the iphone form factor over the ipod, but as long as it's aluminium not chrome i'm fine with it :)

My wishes for the ipad 2 would be from likely to less likely:

Facetime camera
512 MB RAM
A9 cortex processor
higher resolution screen
Iphone screen aspect ratio (2:3)
white version :)

concerning the aspect ratio, i feel the 2:3 aspect ratio the iphone has is perfect and should be standardized accross the media spectrum: from video to cinema display, to pictures, to paper sizes, to phones and tablets. A PDF would print on paper and be shown on screen in full size. This would make everything so much better...
actually it was like this in the 4:3 times, it's a shame they didnt change everythnig accross the spectrum when they went to widescreen. 9:16 plainly sucks for computer work and in portrait mode.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
There are other solutions.Bluetooth,Apple's very nice keyboard dock.Can't see USB keyboards as an issue.And yes,software (iOS)is a BIG issue.If it does have a USB port people who are thinking they are going to connect printers and hard drives to it are going to be severely disappointed.

Bluetooth is only a solution to the keyboard. The Dock connector doesn't give you the ability to connect the multitude of other USB devices, much less get to the part of the problem which is OS drivers. That was my only point, first Apple needs to provide a USB port which functions properly (the camera kit port has been shown in this thread to not provide enough power to power USB devices).

The Dock connector is Apple's solution and you can make peripherals through Apple's MFI program, I said as much. I just wanted to correct Small White Car who said the problem was OS Software. It's also a hardware problem right now. Simply adding that.

You don't need to attack me over it.

Exactly.
People need to go back and watch Steve's introduction.It's simply a case of Not Getting It to complain that the iPad is not a laptop.It was not ever meant to be.

Again, I'm not complaining. I was simply pointing out that the issue is much bigger than just OS Software. There's still a hardware issue with having a fully functional USB port on the iPad. I even stated that Apple would probably never address this, because in their eyes, the Camera kit and the MFI program both fill what needs to the filled. The iPad will remain a 2nd device and require a desktop/laptop to function at 100%.

And again, I don't care, since I don't plan to own one, this doesn't mean I can't participate in conversations about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

kwiiboy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Is it possible that a USB port could be in furtherance - at least in part - to the iPad itself being your actual iTunes library? Such that you could synch iPhones and iPads to your iPad and "cut the cord" to the computer? Seems plausible, especially if they move your library to the cloud somehow.

Just a thought. Not my area of expertise, to be sure.

That's exactly what I want. I'm really liking your idea of "cutting the cord".

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I'm a musician ... Can an iPad run software synthesizers, can it run video editors? Yes. Is the device designed in any way to be convenient and powerful enough to operate these things? Absolutely not.

strange. the musicians behind Gorillaz were able to produce their latest albumn on an ipad. i wonder what they know that others dont? no idea, havent heard it yet.

http://www.nme.com/news/gorillaz/53816

iRockMan1

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
Nashville, Tn
The tapered edges are a must. The user should be able to easily pick up an iPad if it is laying on a flat surface.
You can already pick it up easily because of the rounded back. Tapered edges will just make it more prone to slipping/falling out of your hand because you won't have a solid grip on the thing. Do you know how many times I drop my iPod Touch because the edges are tapered? It's a total mess.

discosoap

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
The Netherlands
Emits less USB power on iPad camera kit... crippled... my point proven more ?

I am 100% with you dude. I truly love my Mac but I hate Apple for their marketing decisions. Give people their usb storage or bamboo or whatever the ***** they want to use their iPad usb port for. Steve's control over OUR devices will attract investors (because Steve obviously chooses their interest over ours), but will ultimately deter any serious computer user from iOS.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
...the camera kit port has been shown in this thread to not provide enough power to power USB devices...

Wow. Still wrong. The camera kit provides enough power for low power USB devices. If you tried to plug in a USB hard drive into one of the USB ports on your USB keyboard, as well as most USB hubs, it wouldn't work there either. That doesn't mean that the keyboard manufacturer has purposefully crippled the USB ports on these devices. The reality is that the USB devices that need more power than the iPad supplies need a fairly significant amount of power and therefore would represent a dramatic drain on the iPad's battery. Most of these devices have optional power supplies, and, in general, with these plugged in the iPad can use them, at least as far as they can be used, whether in JB state or otherwise.

The iPad will remain a 2nd device and require a desktop/laptop to function at 100%.

For you, perhaps, but not for everyone. There are plenty of people out there who really only use their computers for browsing the Internet, sending and receiving emails, and maybe writing a word processing document or two. For them, the iPad is all but a replacement already. With iOS 4.2, most of the impediments to it being a computer replacement were eliminated. There are still a couple left, but they could easily fade away in upcoming iOS updates. For that we'll have to wait and see.

And again, I don't care, since I don't plan to own one, this doesn't mean I can't participate in conversations about it.

You know, I don't mind your participating in the conversation, but you might want to check the "I don't like it for X, Y, and Z reasons, therefore it's no good" attitude. If you want to participate, then participate. Bring up points and discuss them, rather than preaching certain views even when you're confronted with many people who are telling you that you don't have your facts straight. And part of being in a discussion is not ignoring the views of others, but talking about them and comparing them to your own. Maybe common ground can be found, and maybe not.

I am 100% with you dude. I truly love my Mac but I hate Apple for their marketing decisions. Give people their usb storage or bamboo or whatever the ***** they want to use their iPad usb port for. Steve's control over OUR devices will attract investors (because Steve obviously chooses their interest over ours), but will ultimately deter any serious computer user from iOS.

So, in your view, someone like me is not a serious computer user? I have a lot of serious, heavy duty computer apps that I use (including 3D CAD, Adobe CS, print document layouts, and more), and for all of those things I use the tool that is appropriate, namely my MBP. But, for just about all of my email and web browsing, as well as a variety of other tasks (including develop presentations in Keynote, write fairly substantial documents on standardization, track data from my lab in a database, track financial accounts, and more) for which it is well suited, I turn to my iPad. There are more than a few days when I never go near my MBP because my iPad is as capable as it is. Is it a replacement for my MBP? No, of course not. I do to much heavy computer work. But that fact certainly does not deter me from using my iPad (or any other iOS based device, for that matter).

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
You can already pick it up easily because of the rounded back. Tapered edges will just make it more prone to slipping/falling out of your hand because you won't have a solid grip on the thing. Do you know how many times I drop my iPod Touch because the edges are tapered? It's a total mess.

Yes, but if the iPad 2 has a flat back, then the tapered edges would be needed to allow you to pick it up. As current rumors seem to be pointing toward a flat back, tapered edges only make sense.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
How do people here pick up books from a table?

Do they just stare at it lying there and wish it had tapered back edges so they could pick it up?

Sheesh!

Or perhaps stop biting your finger nails?

I must have magic hands as I can pick things up that are flat.

Note tapered edges are no real help unless you can get the thickness of your finger under the back to gain a purchase in the 1st place.

Plus of course so many people have iPad's in cases which totally removes any point of the curved back theory.

Personally I'm thinking 95% of this curved back issue it more a misunderstanding. And what you think a curved back offers than what in reality it does.

If you really wished to go all out for function, you would have 3 rubber pad feet so the device would sit stable on even an uneven surface and the pads thick enough so you could get your fingers underneath in order to pick it up one handed, then also a lip around the outside to stop it slipping from your grasp.

But which this would be the ideal from a human use standpoint it would look horrid :D

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
How do people here pick up books from a table?

Do they just stare at it lying there and wish it had tapered back edges so they could pick it up?

Sheesh!

Or perhaps stop biting your finger nails?

I must have magic hands as I can pick things up that are flat.

Note tapered edges are no real help unless you can get the thickness of your finger under the back to gain a purchase in the 1st place.

Plus of course so many people have iPad's in cases which totally removes any point of the curved back theory.

Personally I'm thinking 95% of this curved back issue it more a misunderstanding. And what you think a curved back offers than what in reality it does.

If you really wished to go all out for function, you would have 3 rubber pad feet so the device would sit stable on even an uneven surface and the pads thick enough so you could get your fingers underneath in order to pick it up one handed, then also a lip around the outside to stop it slipping from your grasp.

But which this would be the ideal from a human use standpoint it would look horrid :D

I don't know many books that are ten inches across the diagonal and half an inch thin. Picking up something large, thin and flat from a flat surface is horrible. Tapered edges make sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.