Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Well, this sucks if you ask me. I know it isn't going to be anyone's primary camera, but if you are going to put a camera in there, you might as well make it a decent one like the iphone has.

Disappointing week for ipad rumors... no screen resolution increase and crappy camera. I guess we are looking at speed/ram increase, I guess that is a big deal... better speakers and maybe a SD slot that can probably only be used for pictures. Meh... I'll probably stick with my current ipad and wait on the next gen.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Some people might be tempted to mount the iPad on a tripod and shoot a VIDEO of their family's Christmas party, child's birthday or just an evening with friends. And that person might be more than tempted to edit the entire thing with an iMovie edition for the iPad and then upload it to some free web space (also known as "cloud service") to share it with everybody.

THIS is where a low quality 1MP camera quickly becomes a big deal, and this is what you will actually see people doing with an iPad with a built-in rear camera. Photos are sooo last century. It's all about VIDEO.

And don't forget all the people who would put the iPad in a Ziploc and take it snorkeling or strapping it to their ski helmet for some first-person downhill action.

Oh, wait, those people would be idiots.

css1323

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Only 1 MP for the rear camera? Like others have sad, hopefully the sensor is good.

This reminds me of the m:robe 500. Anyone remember those things from 2005?

Even that somewhat bulky portable media player will have a higher MP count - albeit 1.2 - than the future iPad 2! Of course, I'm sure the sensor will be better at least.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_archived_product_details.asp?id=1146&fl=2

Apple will really jip customers if they hold out on a better rear camera. I'm sure it's to keep costs down as the demand for even the current gen is still very high, though.

I would have at least expect the front cam to be of higher quality. After all, isn't Apple going to add an iOS version of Photo Booth? The supposed specs for the iPad 2 are looking more and more underwhelming by the week!

Well, this sucks if you ask me. I know it isn't going to be anyone's primary camera, but if you are going to put a camera in there, you might as well make it a decent one like the iphone has.

Disappointing week for ipad rumors... no screen resolution increase and crappy camera. I guess we are looking at speed/ram increase, I guess that is a big deal... better speakers and maybe a SD slot that can probably only be used for pictures. Meh... I'll probably stick with my current ipad and wait on the next gen.

I feel you on that. In a way, it's good for current gen owners. I put down quite a bit of cash on the 1st gen, I'll just stick with what I got and be happy with it. :)

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
It will have 0.3mp front camera and 0.7mp rear camera. I think it's enough, why more? It's not like if you were really going to take pictures with the iPad, it's not a camera!

I would find an autofocus camera like the iPhone's preferable to the fixed focus camera of the iPod touch. An AF back camera could really make the iPad viable in a business setting where one could inventory items by scanning the barcode right to their iPad, just as an example.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
If it was 3mp, I could look at it on a 27inch iMac, with a little pixelation (2048×1536 to 2560x1440); however if it was 1.3mp then it'll look OK on the iPad: 1280×1024, but scaling it from 1280×1024, to 2560x1440, or even full HD 1920x1080 (not 720p rubbish), it'll look rubbish.

And, I bet it'll be fixed focus.

I was hoping for a 5mp with autofocus and flash; with full HD video recording. Well, in my opinion Honeycomb>iOS 4, and the Xoom owns the iPad, and looks like it will own the iPad 2. I'll wait until the iPad 2 release and if it has a 1mp, Xoom here I come. (even the iOS app store isn't enough to keep be away from Android and it's cool UI for tablets.)

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
If it was 3mp, I could look at it on a 27inch iMac, with a little pixelation (2048×1536 to 2560x1440); however if it was 1.3mp then it'll look OK on the iPad: 1280×1024, but scaling it from 1280×1024, to 2560x1440, or even full HD 1920x1080 (not 720p rubbish), it'll look rubbish.

So you think you can broadcast flawless HD video over wifi/3G from an iPad? Maybe you should send your resume into Apple.

Edit: I thought you were talking about Facetime, for some reason...

I was hoping for a 5mp with autofocus and flash; with full HD video recording. Well, in my opinion Honeycomb>iOS 4, and the Xoom owns the iPad, and looks like it will own the iPad 2. I'll wait until the iPad 2 release and if it has a 1mp, Xoom here I come. (even the iOS app store isn't enough to keep be away from Android and it's cool UI for tablets.)

Enjoy your Xoom.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
So you think you can broadcast flawless HD video over wifi/3G from an iPad? Maybe you should send your resume into Apple. Shouldn't be that hard ... the amount of people on this forum that say that they know someone who works for Apple. :D

Edit: I thought you were talking about Facetime, for some reason...I was just about to say that I'm not talking about FaceTime, but about taking photos / videos.

Enjoy your Xoom. I will; especially Adobe's flash and dual cameras that arn't rubbish.

To be honest, I don't care about flash (adobe), all I want is a rear facing camera that is 3mp +, with autofocus.

Enjoy your iPad. One day lets compare photos on a 1080p TV.

I'm not an iPad hater, I like Apple products, but missing out on a camera for iPad 1 and having a rubbish camera for iPad 2, is... rubbish. If it's 3mp+ then iPad here I come. If iMovie desktop-style is released with the iPad 2, then I'll wait in a queue in the freezing cold, for it.

Last edited:

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
maybe we all got carried away with the rumor train on the iPad 2 ...

too much hype over the iPad 2 specs ...

1- Was supposed to get released near the beginning of the year so that Apple would take an early lead against all new Tablets coming soon.
Debunked: iPad 2 is being released in April ... for a yearly product cycle

2- Was supposed to get Super High resolution Display close to matching Retina Display quality.
Close to being Debunked: More and more people claiming to have inside sources tells us to keep wishing ... it wont happen this time around.

3- Was supposed to have a back camera close to iPhone 4 Quality.
Debunked this morning: We are getting the shaft in camera ... most of the competition are getting 5mp ..

Next thing we are gona hear is that the all mighty A5 processor will be a single core CPU with a single core GPU ... with a slight bump in speed ... and that we will not be getting any where near 1gig of RAM to future proof the iPad 2 ... we will get 512 mb ... the iPhone 5 will get 1 gig of RAM.... :p

Adibobea9

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
With all of these rumors flying about, I am starting to believe more and more in a dual-line of iPads. The regular iPad with the original screen, small camera and 16,32,64 GB of space and the iPad Pro with Retina display 5 MP camera and 64,128 GB of space. I can dream anyway, right…

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
The "I want more MP" crowd is ridiculous.

I have a 16.2 MP DSLR, Unless I want to sample a small portion of the image, or bloww a print upt ro some ginormous size, I'll shoot in lower resolution for particulary on conputer images. The file sizes are just too big. And that degree of video resolution would tax the processor durint live video.

The iPad is a compromise. It has not the best of anything, rather the (debatably) best compromise of many things. 99% of the people out there will care not one iota about a 1 MP camera. Just because you THINK you need to take prefessional quality pics on an iPad doesn't make you right. Shut up and wait for version 3.

Agreed megapixels isn't the only thing that counts but 1mp is just meh! Its so STUPID to offer such a low mp camera just to make the next model attractive. And Steve Jobs' puppets like you take whatever he gives (probably even iShit). These kind of meaningless arguements makes no sense, especially for a device that costs 500$.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009

Enjoy the Xoom, the forums are probably just as fun!

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I really don't care about having a camera on the iPad 2 (and future versions) at all. I don't personally have any use for it, others may.

But to me, this only further underscores that Apple see's the iPod Touch and the iPad in the same class. The iPad is just a bigger iPod Touch aimed at a more adult crowd. End of story.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Disappointed

I know this is just a rumor, but if this turns true, I will be very disappointed by Apple... Seriously this would be just insane! 1MP camera were used in 2005-early 2006, come on...
Apple would look ridiculous... :mad:

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wouldn't use a device as large as the iPad to take a picture with anyway.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
It will probably be the same kind of level from the Touch, You will use it mainly for FaceTime, not pictures, come on, why do you need a cam on such a huge device? those fun sarcastic posts explain it all :D

trssho

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
It will probably be the same kind of level from the Touch, You will use it mainly for FaceTime, not pictures, come on, why do you need a cam on such a huge device? those fun sarcastic posts explain it all :D

Same reason you have a camera on a 27" iMac. It's not a question of should it, it's more about, why skimp? If I'm chillin with my iPad, and have the opportunity to take a picture that I wouldn't be able to without a camera, why should I have to use a camera that sucks.

Remember, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you at the moment you take it!

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
The 1 mp camera doesn't surprise me at all. If Apple is all about specs, then we would've already gotten our 12mp camera on the iPhone 4.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
Finally, we're just a millimeter away from getting to my point:

Would you not prefer to have an even clearer FaceTime with, say, 3-megapixel camera versus 0.1-megapixel "chessboard"?

No. I would not. For many reasons. Since you don't seem to be a photography expert in this case I'll clarify.

1. Since a 3 megapixel image is resized to do video chat. As previously stated 720p video is less than 1 megapixel. 1280x720 = 921600 pixels. Even 1080p is ~2 million pixels.
1a. Any Larger image would be resized to fit into these stream sizes. Resizing images is processor and time consuming, and will generate artifacts.
1b. Streaming 720p video let alone 1080p is straining internet connections, and actually even wireless networks themselves. Which I assure you the ipad 2 is going to be a wireless device, and not likely to have a gigabit ethernet port to plug in. So until we're much farther along in internet infrastructure, there isn't a use for more megapixels you do not display
1c. Given that facetime uses wireless streaming, the video stream itself undergoes compression which is lossy, and you would lose alot of the detail anyways.

2. Megapixels are a myth perpetuated to market to people who don't understand the very basics of photography. Old film cameras used 35mm film, hopefully most of you remember how big each negative was. That used the entire surface to gather light. And in photography, the amount of light you can use is fundamental. Remember the size of a negative for 35mm, now did you know that the light sensor inside a decent point and shoot camera is as big as the word "like" in this post. And they cram 14 megapixels into that. Each pixel gathers so little light and is so close to the others that it generates alot of noise. The sensors for cell phones, webcams and such are even smaller, probably about the size of the letter "o". Cramming more megapixels into that does not get you sharper pictures, just more noise. If you take a look even many of the professional cameras don't sport that many megapixels, and the sensor size is much bigger, say a large postage stamp. So each pixel in one of those cameras is much larger than a pixel in the cell phone, can gather more light and produce much better images. Even the prosumer point and shoots, ie Canon S95, G12, Panasonic LX-5 etc are only 10 megapixels but boast larger sensor sizes than ordinary point and shoots. And I will say the resulting pictures are much better, due to better optics and much larger light gathering capacity per pixel. In a device like an ipad, where you want it thin, and more than likely to video chat, a lower resolution sensor that fits the stream sizes will generate a better picture, especially in varying degrees of lighting.

3. Anyone who would shoot a video with an ipad on any consistent basis probably should have their head checked lol. You're far better off with almost anything else that's a real camera.

Wiki article on sensor sizes for more info

Last edited:

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Agreed megapixels isn't the only thing that counts but 1mp is just meh! Its so STUPID to offer such a low mp camera just to make the next model attractive. And Steve Jobs' puppets like you take whatever he gives (probably even iShit). These kind of meaningless arguements makes no sense, especially for a device that costs 500$.

Stay classy with the name-calling. :rolleyes:

I, for one, have been happy with my iPad since release day, and don't plan on upgrading (don't really see the need for the camera in my life, but won't deny others may want it). Sorry you have to have the latest and greatest in all your products, but that's never been the Apple way. And as for the price argument, the lack of a camera in the first generation didn't dissuade the many purchasers this past 10 months).

I love the cycle of hype...release...compaints about what should have been included...wildly inflated speculation about what the next generation will include...hype...release...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.