iPad 3 Horrid Light BLEED? Errr..

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2005
Friends,

Just bought an iPad 3 wifi. Could anyone help me out? What is this light leak I am experiencing? It's highly visible, even in daylight. After the iPad 2 display debacle I was hopeful for something solid.

Anyone else have this issue? Tilt the screen back and take a look.

Thanks!

Here's the image. http://db.tt/mDpcoh3r

Last edited:

ct2k7

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2008
London
There's an iPad 3?

My iPad doesn't have light bleed; take it to an Apple store for replacement?

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2005
The white light on the top of the screen. And I know how to attach an image. Thanks man.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Where is the backlight bleed??? I don't see it.

----------

Oh, that's one of the LED bars on the display. That's not backlight bleed.

Hoggles

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Portlandia
If you want to find a problem...you're gonna find one.

The photo you provided is useless. It's HUGE.... BAD angle.... Shadows reflecting off the screen etc etc.

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011

The photo you provided is useless.
No it isn't. Look at the top edge of the screen. You can see the individual LEDs in the backlight. You shouldn't be able to see them at any angle, since they need to be BEHIND the LCD to do their jobs. I'd exchange that one if mine came like that.

mtj111

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010

The photo you provided is useless.
The picture posted shows a horrendous flaw.

Some people get a little ridiculous running the screen to 100% brightness and start whining when the they spot a little bleeding, but this one is clearly bad.

Laserawesome

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Boston, MA
Zero light bleed on mine. My screen is "yellower" than my iphone 4, but you can only tell if you compare the 2 directly. White still looks white, so i'm all good.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
okie, I'm going to reiterate this. iPads have completely side-lit LEDs. Most of the cheaper backlighting on LCDs use this same method in order to make for a thinner profile. If you want even backlighting, you will need to use rear mount LEDs or go to AMOLED Plus.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
People are claiming they are still in stock many places, so just return it and buy a new one?

Good luck!

SkottDMD

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Canada
It really has nothing to do with being held at an angle, in my case it's so bright it lights up the top of the iPad across the top. Titling it just makes it easier to see and photograph. Really disappointed to see something like this, it's not a "small" issue at all.

Attachments

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I believe the OP. Mine has it too but not as bad as his. Mine looks more like 2 identical leaks on both sides if the iSight camera.

No problem with me since I don't see them in normal use.

I bet everyone has them too... I encourage you to check to ease this poor guy's (and mine's... hehe) worries.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2005
I believe the OP. Mine has it too but not as bad as his. Mine looks more like 2 identical leaks on both sides if the iSight camera.

No problem with me since I don't see them in normal use.

I bet everyone has them too... I encourage you to check to ease this poor guy's (and mine's... hehe) worries.

I dunno why I'm getting the flame war responses. Just checking to see if anyone else's brand new product has a flaw.. That may prove to be common. Let us be civil.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

The photo you provided is useless. It's HUGE.... BAD angle.... Shadows reflecting off the screen etc etc.
remind me to shred your resume when you apply for a quality control postition at my factory.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I dunno why I'm getting the flame war responses. Just checking to see if anyone else's brand new product has a flaw.. That may prove to be common. Let us be civil.
They'll surely chime in and say they have it too believe me.

I wish though that I should have never read your thread because I never noticed them before...oh well. :(