Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 to Be Equipped with 8-Megapixel Rear Cameras

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's fifth-generation iPad and second-generation iPad mini may receive a significantly improved camera, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

The current iPad and iPad mini both come equipped with a 5-megapixel rear camera with an f/2.4 aperture, which could be upgraded to an 8-megapixel camera with a larger aperture, similar to the camera included in the iPhone 5s.

Though Apple has historically placed less emphasis on its tablet cameras compared to its iPhone cameras, the iPad camera is due for an upgrade. The fourth-generation iPad and the iPad mini both use the same 5-megapixel camera that was introduced with the third-generation iPad back in March of 2012.
We predict Apple (US) will launch new iPad 5 and iPad mini 2 (so called retina iPad mini) in 4Q13. As the tablet market becomes increasingly competitive, Apple could upgrade the camera as a selling point for the new iPad in a bid to increase competitiveness. We expect the upgrade will include 8MP rear camera, up from 5MP, and larger aperture. Lens module ASP will rise 10-20% on this optics spec upgrade.
If the new iPads receive a camera that is similar to the camera in the iPhone 5s, it will allow the tablets to capture higher quality low-light pictures. It is likely that Apple will include some of the same camera features as well, introducing Slo-Mo video, for example, which allows the capture of 120fps slow motion video.

A notable exception will be the True Tone flash that was included with the iPhone 5s, as the iPad and the iPad mini do not come equipped with flash capabilities, and it is not clear whether the improved iPad cameras will also utilize the larger sensor that debuted in the iPhone 5s.

Both the fifth-generation iPad and the second-generation iPad mini are expected to be released before the end of the year, though recent reports have suggested that supplies of the iPad mini 2 will be severely constrained. The iPad mini will ship with a Retina display, while the fifth-generation iPad will take on a slimmer mini-style design.

Article Link: iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 to Be Equipped with 8-Megapixel Rear Cameras

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Man, the cameras are always so wasted on my iPads, it's a shame.

Comment

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
The front camera seems so much more valuable on an iPad. The Facetime experience on an iPad vs. an iPhone is night and day. I wish they would push the front facing camera on that device as much as they do the rear.

Comment

dannys1

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Ive had 4 iPads with cameras now and still never taken a single picture with one. The most pointless part of the iPad, I wrote an article before the iPad 2 on why I couldn't understand why anyone wanted a camera on the rear of the iPad and I maintain the same stance two years on!

Comment

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009
But a 5MP camera was fine for my mom to take photos to post on Facebook

Comment

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I think a higher-resolution screen is more important for iPad Mini that an upgraded camera.

Comment

note235

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Ive had 4 iPads with cameras now and still never taken a single picture with one. The most pointless part of the iPad, I wrote an article before the iPad 2 on why I couldn't understand why anyone wanted a camera on the rear of the iPad and I maintain the same stance two years on!

Why is it bad? I sometimes take video/pictures with it if I don't have my phone. It's perfectly usable--similar to using my blackmagic camera with an ac7

Comment

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012

I toggle between the front and rear cameras quite frequently in FaceTime. I think both cameras should be of equal quality, although I'm not sure it needs to be the 8 megapixel currently on the 5S.

Comment

CAO 303

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
NHV CT
Lovely. Enabling more jerkfaces to block everyone's view by holding their iPad up to take a picture.

Comment

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
Lovely. Enabling more jerkfaces to block everyone's view by holding their iPad up to take a picture.

The fun flip side to this is when at weddings, and I can't see what's going on, it's almost like having a jumbotron when you have crappy seats at a game. You end up getting a pretty good view!

Comment

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I've been surprised at the number of people I've seen who take photos with their iPads. To me, it seems really cumbersome. And I agree -- an improved front-facing camera would seem to make a lot more sense.

Comment

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
People who use their iPads to take pictures out and about are the absolute best. Do they hear people laughing at them or just assume they're laughing with them?

Comment

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2012

Some enterprises use the camera. For example, a theme park operator's security staff uses iPads to relay video from incident scenes to the operations center. I've also seen enterprises use them so less skilled techs in the field can have highly skilled, highly paid experts in a central location walk them through a process. In the latter example, the business case is lower overhead costs.

Comment

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
8MP would catch up with Android tablets but what about RAM? Will iPads get 3GB too? Perhaps they do not need as much since unlike Android tablets iPads can't run two applications on the screen simultaneously but then Apple should at least put 1.5GB in iPads.

Comment

xmmxnx

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
I don't understand...

anyone who does not understand iPad photography?

I only use iPad for taking pics and video and use nothing else.

I hate to use iphone and my reg camera for photos. iPad is my only choice.

It has a big perfect screen and I just love it. As a matter of fact anyone I know

only uses iPad for photo's.

Seriously what is up with these "cumbersome" and "not practical" for photos

posts, are you just all writing what you think is expected from others?

Be real...

Comment

dannys1

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Some enterprises use the camera. For example, a theme park operator's security staff uses iPads to relay video from incident scenes to the operations center. I've also seen enterprises use them so less skilled techs in the field can have highly skilled, highly paid experts in a central location walk them through a process. In the latter example, the business case is lower overhead costs.

Thats a pretty good idea actually - at least someone found a use for it.

----------

I toggle between the front and rear cameras quite frequently in FaceTime. I think both cameras should be of equal quality, although I'm not sure it needs to be the 8 megapixel currently on the 5S.

To be honest ive made ONE Facetime call the day the iPhone 4 came out, since they've ive owned 7 Facetime capable mobile devices, so I guess thats not really a feature for me! I barely want to hear people most of the time let alone see them haha.

Comment

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Heck, a 8MP camera would be enough for me to upgrade to the next iPad as long as it had the same specs as the iPhone sensor. I like being able to shoot, edit, and upload while I'm sitting around doing nothing anyway.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
So is this the likely iPad 5 spec list?

• A7X benchmarking about 10-20% higher than 5S (historically)
  • 2GB of ram
  • TouchID Button
  • 8MP f/2.2 camera with burst and slow-mo
  • Slim, lower-weight iPad Mini design
  • Upgraded FaceTime camera like 5S/5C
  • New, faster LTE chip like 5S/5C
  • Space Gray, Gold and Silver colors
  • Same 16/32/64/128GB capacities for the same price?

I'm hoping for 32/64/128 capacities for $499/599/699 but I don't think there have been any rumors of this. I'm going all out and getting a 128GB with LTE+GPS because I felt like I always ran out of space on my 32GB iPad 2 and wished I had the GPS capability for road trips.

One other thing I'd like is a pressure-sensitive display for drawing, but with the new Bluetooth options now available on the market that might not be necessary?

Oh and I've mentioned it before, but I want TouchID to access user accounts on the iPad to customize the experience for the user—their apps, email accounts, wallpapers, etc. Maybe in 7.1 for iPad 5?

Comment

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
People have been posting all day that Apple has been holding back features on its products in order to extend the product cycle and thereby glean higher total profits. Other people seem to disagree.

This latest development could easily provide fodder for each point of view. Some could say "See? Apple is not holding back on the camera." Others could reply "Yes, but until now, they HAVE been holding back."

IMO, Apple likely has a complex calculus, involving a great number of variables, each of which is used to fine-tune the estimate of what combination of traits will yield the highest possible profits.

Comment

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
To be honest ive made ONE Facetime call the day the iPhone 4 came out, since they've ive owned 7 Facetime capable mobile devices, so I guess thats not really a feature for me! I barely want to hear people most of the time let alone see them haha.

My family lives 2k miles away. When I moved to a new apartment and they wanted to see it, facetime was perfect. I facetime my parents about once a month.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.