iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 to Be Equipped with 8-Megapixel Rear Cameras

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 2, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple's fifth-generation iPad and second-generation iPad mini may receive a significantly improved camera, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

The current iPad and iPad mini both come equipped with a 5-megapixel rear camera with an f/2.4 aperture, which could be upgraded to an 8-megapixel camera with a larger aperture, similar to the camera included in the iPhone 5s.

Though Apple has historically placed less emphasis on its tablet cameras compared to its iPhone cameras, the iPad camera is due for an upgrade. The fourth-generation iPad and the iPad mini both use the same 5-megapixel camera that was introduced with the third-generation iPad back in March of 2012.
    If the new iPads receive a camera that is similar to the camera in the iPhone 5s, it will allow the tablets to capture higher quality low-light pictures. It is likely that Apple will include some of the same camera features as well, introducing Slo-Mo video, for example, which allows the capture of 120fps slow motion video.

A notable exception will be the True Tone flash that was included with the iPhone 5s, as the iPad and the iPad mini do not come equipped with flash capabilities, and it is not clear whether the improved iPad cameras will also utilize the larger sensor that debuted in the iPhone 5s.

Both the fifth-generation iPad and the second-generation iPad mini are expected to be released before the end of the year, though recent reports have suggested that supplies of the iPad mini 2 will be severely constrained. The iPad mini will ship with a Retina display, while the fifth-generation iPad will take on a slimmer mini-style design.

Article Link: iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 to Be Equipped with 8-Megapixel Rear Cameras

2. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Man, the cameras are always so wasted on my iPads, it's a shame.

3. ToomeyND macrumors 6502

The front camera seems so much more valuable on an iPad. The Facetime experience on an iPad vs. an iPhone is night and day. I wish they would push the front facing camera on that device as much as they do the rear.

4. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Ive had 4 iPads with cameras now and still never taken a single picture with one. The most pointless part of the iPad, I wrote an article before the iPad 2 on why I couldn't understand why anyone wanted a camera on the rear of the iPad and I maintain the same stance two years on!

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Agree. Its horrid.

6. newdeal macrumors 68020

But a 5MP camera was fine for my mom to take photos to post on Facebook

7. bidwalj macrumors 65816

As long as the cameras don't cause shortages....

8. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I think a higher-resolution screen is more important for iPad Mini that an upgraded camera.

9. note235 macrumors 6502a

Why is it bad? I sometimes take video/pictures with it if I don't have my phone. It's perfectly usable--similar to using my blackmagic camera with an ac7

10. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I toggle between the front and rear cameras quite frequently in FaceTime. I think both cameras should be of equal quality, although I'm not sure it needs to be the 8 megapixel currently on the 5S.

11. CAO 303 macrumors member

Lovely. Enabling more jerkfaces to block everyone's view by holding their iPad up to take a picture.

12. ToomeyND macrumors 6502

The fun flip side to this is when at weddings, and I can't see what's going on, it's almost like having a jumbotron when you have crappy seats at a game. You end up getting a pretty good view!

13. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I've been surprised at the number of people I've seen who take photos with their iPads. To me, it seems really cumbersome. And I agree -- an improved front-facing camera would seem to make a lot more sense.

14. TWSS37 macrumors 65816

People who use their iPads to take pictures out and about are the absolute best. Do they hear people laughing at them or just assume they're laughing with them?

15. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Improved cameras you say? I knew MacRumors was good for something!

16. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Some enterprises use the camera. For example, a theme park operator's security staff uses iPads to relay video from incident scenes to the operations center. I've also seen enterprises use them so less skilled techs in the field can have highly skilled, highly paid experts in a central location walk them through a process. In the latter example, the business case is lower overhead costs.

17. lilo777 macrumors 603

8MP would catch up with Android tablets but what about RAM? Will iPads get 3GB too? Perhaps they do not need as much since unlike Android tablets iPads can't run two applications on the screen simultaneously but then Apple should at least put 1.5GB in iPads.

18. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

19. xmmxnx macrumors newbie

I don't understand...

anyone who does not understand iPad photography?

I only use iPad for taking pics and video and use nothing else.

I hate to use iphone and my reg camera for photos. iPad is my only choice.

It has a big perfect screen and I just love it. As a matter of fact anyone I know

only uses iPad for photo's.

Seriously what is up with these "cumbersome" and "not practical" for photos

posts, are you just all writing what you think is expected from others?

Be real...

20. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Thats a pretty good idea actually - at least someone found a use for it.

----------

To be honest ive made ONE Facetime call the day the iPhone 4 came out, since they've ive owned 7 Facetime capable mobile devices, so I guess thats not really a feature for me! I barely want to hear people most of the time let alone see them haha.

21. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Heck, a 8MP camera would be enough for me to upgrade to the next iPad as long as it had the same specs as the iPhone sensor. I like being able to shoot, edit, and upload while I'm sitting around doing nothing anyway.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

22. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

So is this the likely iPad 5 spec list?

• A7X benchmarking about 10-20% higher than 5S (historically)
    • 2GB of ram
    • TouchID Button
    • 8MP f/2.2 camera with burst and slow-mo
    • Slim, lower-weight iPad Mini design
    • Upgraded FaceTime camera like 5S/5C
    • New, faster LTE chip like 5S/5C
    • Space Gray, Gold and Silver colors
    • Same 16/32/64/128GB capacities for the same price?

I'm hoping for 32/64/128 capacities for $499/599/699 but I don't think there have been any rumors of this. I'm going all out and getting a 128GB with LTE+GPS because I felt like I always ran out of space on my 32GB iPad 2 and wished I had the GPS capability for road trips.

One other thing I'd like is a pressure-sensitive display for drawing, but with the new Bluetooth options now available on the market that might not be necessary?

Oh and I've mentioned it before, but I want TouchID to access user accounts on the iPad to customize the experience for the user—their apps, email accounts, wallpapers, etc. Maybe in 7.1 for iPad 5?

23. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

iPhone 6 will have improved cameras too.

/sarcasm

24. iGrip macrumors 68000

iGrip

People have been posting all day that Apple has been holding back features on its products in order to extend the product cycle and thereby glean higher total profits. Other people seem to disagree.

This latest development could easily provide fodder for each point of view. Some could say "See? Apple is not holding back on the camera." Others could reply "Yes, but until now, they HAVE been holding back."

IMO, Apple likely has a complex calculus, involving a great number of variables, each of which is used to fine-tune the estimate of what combination of traits will yield the highest possible profits.

25. ToomeyND macrumors 6502

My family lives 2k miles away. When I moved to a new apartment and they wanted to see it, facetime was perfect. I facetime my parents about once a month.