Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
You know, not everybody takes personal photos with that camera. This is good news for folks (such as me) who use the iPad camera in lieu of a scanner.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
But why would you take pictures on your ipad? :confused:

Edit: And here's an interesting read: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Why wouldn't you take pictures with your iPad? It's much easier to see what you are shooting than with a phone.

For example, if I'm trying to capture receipts for an expense report, it is much easier to frame them with the iPad than the iPhone. But there have been many other times when seeing the detail as I shoot is important.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
dunno why but it makes me cringe everytime i see someone at a concert or event taking pictures with an ipad.

It makes me cringe anytime I see someone at a concert taking pictures with anything. Are they at the concert to hear the music, or to be able to tell people they were at the concert?

----------

I once saw this toolbag at Fenway Park taking pictures of his family with not one, but two iPads. Of course, he was a Yankee's fan.

We're laughing, but not with you.:D

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
The iPad camera is great for productivity photos - scanning documents, taking a picture to add it to a document, showing a picture to others in a meeting (it's not nice to be showing your boss a picture in your phone when your GF decides to do some sexting), and so on.

I think the issue with those that obstruct others' field of view with the iPad when taking pictures is less an issue with the iPad taking pictures and more an issue with those people being self-centered.

I really wish the iPad had a flash. Work pictures during night time tend to look ugly, and scanning a document at home can only be done during the day, or the yellow light changes the color of the page.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
The iPad camera is great for productivity photos - scanning documents, taking a picture to add it to a document, showing a picture to others in a meeting (it's not nice to be showing your boss a picture in your phone when your GF decides to do some sexting), and so on.

I think the issue with those that obstruct others' field of view with the iPad when taking pictures is less an issue with the iPad taking pictures and more an issue with those people being self-centered.

I really wish the iPad had a flash. Work pictures during night time tend to look ugly, and scanning a document at home can only be done during the day, or the yellow light changes the color of the page.

Yep... I agree on all counts.

I take pics with my iPad if I'm sitting there reading on it and there's something that needs to be photographed for some reason.

Other than that? I use my iPhone because it's always with me. I'm not always lugging around my iPad. I'd take a photo out, I dunno, in a park or a coffee shop with my iPad, but that would be because I was... yanno... reading it and something picture-worthy happened.

Other than that? No. Just... no.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
Fantastic, I collect photos of these 'folks' who use iPads as cameras in public places, I can get a great collection if they improve the camera.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The front camera seems so much more valuable on an iPad. The Facetime experience on an iPad vs. an iPhone is night and day. I wish they would push the front facing camera on that device as much as they do the rear.

Give it to a couple of kids and open Photo Booth. They'll use that for a looong time. Again, no rear camera used. I may have taken 10 photos ever with mine.

adjuvantjfoster

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
San Francisco Bay area

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Ive had 4 iPads with cameras now and still never taken a single picture with one. The most pointless part of the iPad, I wrote an article before the iPad 2 on why I couldn't understand why anyone wanted a camera on the rear of the iPad and I maintain the same stance two years on!

I'd like taking pictures of book pages at the library and be able to highlight an jot down things immediately after with out having to download pictures on my Mac, use iTunes to put it on the iPad. And Xerox copies are expensive and bulky.

And I have iPad Classic

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I think a higher-resolution screen is more important for iPad Mini that an upgraded camera.

I disagree. The camera on the mini is awful, the screen is fine without having to jump to retina display. Is retina really going to make your 720p films look that much better?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
You guys may laugh at people taking pictures/videos with an iPad. I laughed too. But then I tried doing it myself. The experience is surreal. Imagine having a camera with a 9" view finder. It's pretty amazing actually. You no longer have to squint or "guess" on what you are seeing when composing. The only limitation is the the camera itself.

If you want to try it but don't want to look silly, if you have a camera with wifi that can be tethered to an iDevice (like the recent Sony NEX series), try it. It lags due to wifi, but you can imagine the experience of having such huge viewfinder.

Dhaylenn

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Use iPad for everything

Apple's one main flaw with the iPad is storage space.

I own a 64GB and it is practically full. No other app can be put on it.

Now in fairness, I do not clutter my iPad with apps, they all fit on the front page within category boxes - and all boxes show exactly what is available.
[i.e. They are not 'stuffed'.]

- 3d4 Medical apps, [as advertised by Apple - yet not enough space]
- Roy Dean Jiu Jitsu apps [but with the above and other apps, no space for all]
- Games [Raven Sword, Tw2, Machinarium, Goo, etc. No room for Baldur's Gate]

- Tons of books from Song of Ice and Fire, LOTRs to E.O. Wilson Earth Science book and guitar lessons... [no room for other guitar books]

* Art apps[Also apps like animation desk, etc. but no room to really use them now.]

POINT: Apple advertises the iPad as something that can do great things with apps that would fill up the lowest end with only a few, and the high end, [until very recently] with a moderate amount of decent apps [that they advertise] as if they would all fit.

CAMERA... heck, with all the above, I have my iPad with me everywhere.
Why not, it's light, etc. if you actually consider everything that is on there... it truly is amazing.

The fact that I can take a video with it, [videos are off loaded as no space],
is simply convenient, easy to frame, and easy to review - as others said.
[And... not as bulky as my dslr, even if the dslr takes superior pictures, and not weighted on my neck all day.]

So, look funny, nah... just people not used to it... no funnier or harder to look past people holding iphones over their heads. [Those complaining about iPads, not much funner than looking through tons of arms if you want to go with that argument, just as annoying.]

... and no, don't carry a phone - at all.

So, Apple, up the storage and put a good camera... I mean if you are going to put one in, might as well do your best, not have something that is a joke compared to its smaller counterpart the iPhone.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
I don't care if someone is laughing at me if I'm taking a photo with an iPad. It's their problem, not mine.
I would like to have a led flash option too

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
This man, Kuo, is THE best!
Sure? I think he's somewhere between Captian Obviuos and Dead Wrong.
We predict Apple (US) will launch new iPad 5 and iPad mini 2 (so called retina iPad mini) in 4Q13. As the tablet market becomes increasingly competitive, Apple could upgrade the camera as a selling point for the new iPad in a bid to increase competitiveness.
If Apple were in any competitive markets, they wouldn't make billions in profit each quarter. There is absolutely no competition for iDevices. You can buy them from Apple or second hand, and thats it. Samsung is in the competitive android tablet market, Apple is not. Apple is THE monopolist in the iPad market.

Yes it is likely that Apple will update the iPad camera to 8mp as well. But they could also wait another year or two and sell exactly the same amount of iPads. After all they never added NFC, USB and SD-Card despite the so-called increasing competition. Kuo doesn't get that. He is blind to how the competition between platforms really works.

It's the software, stupid!

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Apple's one main flaw with the iPad is storage space.

I own a 64GB and it is practically full. No other app can be put on it.

Now in fairness, I do not clutter my iPad with apps, they all fit on the front page within category boxes - and all boxes show exactly what is available.
[i.e. They are not 'stuffed'.]

- 3d4 Medical apps, [as advertised by Apple - yet not enough space]
- Roy Dean Jiu Jitsu apps [but with the above and other apps, no space for all]
- Games [Raven Sword, Tw2, Machinarium, Goo, etc. No room for Baldur's Gate]

- Tons of books from Song of Ice and Fire, LOTRs to E.O. Wilson Earth Science book and guitar lessons... [no room for other guitar books]

* Art apps[Also apps like animation desk, etc. but no room to really use them now.]

POINT: Apple advertises the iPad as something that can do great things with apps that would fill up the lowest end with only a few, and the high end, [until very recently] with a moderate amount of decent apps [that they advertise] as if they would all fit.

CAMERA... heck, with all the above, I have my iPad with me everywhere.
Why not, it's light, etc. if you actually consider everything that is on there... it truly is amazing.

The fact that I can take a video with it, [videos are off loaded as no space],
is simply convenient, easy to frame, and easy to review - as others said.
[And... not as bulky as my dslr, even if the dslr takes superior pictures, and not weighted on my neck all day.]

So, look funny, nah... just people not used to it... no funnier or harder to look past people holding iphones over their heads. [Those complaining about iPads, not much funner than looking through tons of arms if you want to go with that argument, just as annoying.]

So, Apple, up the storage and put a good camera... I mean if you are going to put one in, might as well do your best, not have something that is a joke compared to its smaller counterpart the iPhone.

A 128GB iPad already exists for quite a long time now and the iPad 5 will also be available with this size option.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Why wouldn't you take pictures with your iPad? It's much easier to see what you are shooting than with a phone.

For example, if I'm trying to capture receipts for an expense report, it is much easier to frame them with the iPad than the iPhone. But there have been many other times when seeing the detail as I shoot is important.

To each their own. I just think it looks funny.

Exhibit A: peopletakingpictureswithipads.tumblr.com

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Still no LED Flash...

(essential when taking pictures of stuff to put on eBay)

I would bet you have an iPhone or another phone/camera that does have a flash. If you sell a lot of stuff on eBay it might be a good investment to get a better camera...

----------

How is framing a photo different on an iPad than an iPhone? Is the iPhone too small to hold onto?

----------

So you are one of those people who ask to borrow my phone... :rolleyes:

----------

But why would you take pictures on your ipad? :confused:

Edit: And here's an interesting read: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Flagged for posting spam from the biggest photography douchebag.

Not spam because it is relevant to this thread (megapixel upgrade from 5 to 8)

But that guy is probably a douchebag for his first sentence:
For normal 4x6" (10x15cm) prints, even VGA (640 x 480 or 0.3MP) resolution is just fine. Digital cameras did this back in 1991!
Who is he to tell everyone what is "fine" or "good enough"? While he does make some valid points regarding megapixels, he is really being a jerk about it and ignoring the fact that people have different needs/wants when it comes to photography.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.