Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I would be very happy with the line up as:
iPhone 5S, A7, Touch ID, 16/32/64gb.
iPad Mini 2, A7, retina display, Touch ID, 16/32/64gb.
iPad 5, A7X, retina display, Touch ID, 32/64/128gb.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Please, ImgTec said that Rogue aka PowerVR Series 6 would eventually be able to scale up to 1TFlops/sec. No current or near future implementation will do that.

Also it seems Apples implementation of Rogue in the A7 is custom, so it's not really an G6430 but, well, custom like the PS Vita SGX543MP4+.

I have done the maths and the minimum output performance of the G6630 for the iPad would be 205Gflops. I am expecting 250-350 Gflops for the iPad 5.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Sorry, I was sleepy last night; your right. I believe that if they need an iPad 2 replacement the current iPad mini with an A6 (like the 5C got) with 1Gb of RAM. It it has to be the G6630 for the iPad 5, supposedly it can perform upto 1Tflop :)

Apple won't go that far though, it will probably be capped at 200-300Gflops.

Don't worry about it, I too was sleepy last night and that first line was a little more blunt than it should have been, sorry!

An A6 non-retina iPad Mini would indeed fill in a hole quite nicely, though I always wonder with Apple if they're happier to leave some sales on the table and push people up to the higher end products...

Heh, that 1Tflop figure has always seemed suspicious, I suspect there's some small print somewhere that says it'll only do it on a black and moonless night while hooked up to an arc reactor and running one specific benchmark... :D But I did want to throw something at you for an opinion regarding the GPU:

I mentioned at the end of my wall o'text that I suspect Apple may end up going for a 'Pro' angle on the next iPad complete with apps. Quad core CPU would certainly help that, as would 2Gb of RAM. But what if they *also* used the opportunity to publicly push GPU compute? The 6630 would, I believe, support OpenCL and the desktop Aperture and Final Cut Pro builds have supported that for a while. At an event where they're likely introducing a Mac Pro that's going to have a pretty big focus on GPU compute being able to go "and we can bring that same unified system power to our iPad with the new A7 and A7X" would be a very effective marketing message...

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Don't worry about it, I too was sleepy last night and that first line was a little more blunt than it should have been, sorry!

An A6 non-retina iPad Mini would indeed fill in a hole quite nicely, though I always wonder with Apple if they're happier to leave some sales on the table and push people up to the higher end products...

Heh, that 1Tflop figure has always seemed suspicious, I suspect there's some small print somewhere that says it'll only do it on a black and moonless night while hooked up to an arc reactor and running one specific benchmark... :D But I did want to throw something at you for an opinion regarding the GPU:

I mentioned at the end of my wall o'text that I suspect Apple may end up going for a 'Pro' angle on the next iPad complete with apps. Quad core CPU would certainly help that, as would 2Gb of RAM. But what if they *also* used the opportunity to publicly push GPU compute? The 6630 would, I believe, support OpenCL and the desktop Aperture and Final Cut Pro builds have supported that for a while. At an event where they're likely introducing a Mac Pro that's going to have a pretty big focus on GPU compute being able to go "and we can bring that same unified system power to our iPad with the new A7 and A7X" would be a very effective marketing message...

Totally agree with the Pro apps. About the G6630, 1Tflops is it maxed out. If Apple done this and had it outputing at 1Tflop, they wouldn't be able to upgrade it next year. Expect it to be capped around 250-350Gflops.

I have done the maths and the minimum is around 205Gflops. There is a small (small) possibility that it would be around the 155Gflops point but I see it being at least the 205, maybe slightly more(250+). It is still looking like the GPU is outperforming the PS3's GPU (which is 174Gflops) and the Xbox 360's(which is 155Gflops). So even if we don't get 300 -1000Gflops, we are going to at least see console gaming(well, current console) on a tablet.

I just wish there was a easier way for people to port PC and console games to iOS. Games like GTA V won't come to tablet for a while. Not because the iPad 5 couldn't handle it but because the time it would take to re-write all the code.

That is why I would like Rockstar to just port the GTA V map with all the cars and so on and just one playable character (a new one) with a basic storyline and a few side quests for £4.99 or even £6.99. Things like porting a map and cars and things should be an easy transfer over to iOS with the missions being written from Scratch.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
But seeing as think is from the man that was 100% right about the iPhone 5S and 5S leaks. All those images you saw we're from him. He was the one that leaked the colors, the specs of the 5&5C. He is also the one leaking all of the iPad 5 and mini 2 images as well as the specs. The iPad 5 WILL have an A7X clocked at 1.4-1.5 Ghz, 2Gb RAM and a G6630 GPU. The iPad mini 2 WILL have an A7 chip set, 1Gb of RAM and a G6430 GPU. Theses leaks are basically as good as apples word.

So he can confirm that those rumors are correct.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
confirmed....yeah, well maybe Tim should just release new products on twitter thru this guy?

Its confirmed when Apple say it is.

Until then you should be forced to rename the thread...:rolleyes:

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
You would be better getting an iPad 5 than saving £80. iPad 4 will only get upto iOS 8, the iPad 5 I'd look more at iOS 10 (iOS X) with it having more RAM.

People say this all the time when the latest iPhone/iPad comes out. "Get the latest because it will go all the way up to iOS X."

If the iPad 4 only goes up to iOS 8 (which is 2 jumps from iOS 6), what makes you think the iPad 5 will go up to iOS 10 (which is 3 jumps). Hardware and software go hand in hand exponentially so I'd imagine the iPad 5 will become obsolete at the same speed as the iPad 2, iPad 4, iPhone 4S, etc.

It is just that we get drunk with numbers whenever the latest tech comes out in an iPhone/iPad and claim it will last 5 years. The truth is each iPhone/iPad lasts only 2-3 years before it feels sluggish.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks the ipad4 is plenty fast enough, and would be happy as long as the ipad5 maintains the good batterylife and gives you a lighter and smaller frame? Any bump in speed would just be a bonus.

The lighter weight and form factor are EVERYTHING. Seriously. That's what's going to make people take the plunge. People are already expecting retina and A6X/A7 at the least.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I don't get this logic. To me the A6X would make zero sense in an iPad Mini with retina. It's a big, relatively power hungry chip that generates a lot of heat and is now using outdated technology. In terms of raw graphics power the A7 is, roughly, on a par with the A6X. The only major difference is the memory bandwidth. An A7 would make all the sense in the world for the Retina Mini, albeit possibly with a slight redesign and higher clocks.

Think about it, the raw CPU and GPU power is there (CPU would likely be higher than the A6X actually) and running on 28nm will help with power requirements. Apple get 64 bit capabilities (and therefore dev support) into all of their new high end iOS devices in 2013 helping with future proofing. Yes, they might need to develop a fractionally different version of the chip primarily focused on the memory interface but that's going to result in a better set of compromises than the A6X would at this point (and might not be needed at all). Hell, it might even be cheaper as the R&D cost for the A7 would be spread over multiple devices and I suspect the A7 might be a cheaper chip to produce.

Frankly if the tweet the OP reported is correct the lineup seems to make a great deal of sense:

iPhone 5s - A7, 1.3Ghz, PowerVR G6430, 1GB RAM, Dual Core CPU
iPad Mini Retina - A7, 1.4Ghz, PowerVR G6430, 1GB RAM, Dual Core CPU
iPad - A7X, 1.4Ghz, Power VR G6630, 2GB RAM, Quad Core CPU

It gives a really easy sell with clear distinctions between products, keeps costs down on the Mini Retina and transitions the entire high end line to 64 bit in the space of about a month which strikes me as a very Apple thing to do and something other Mini rivals can't match for a while.

The really interesting bit though will be the iPad. Again, IF it's getting 2GB of RAM there's got to be a reason for that. Apple also need a hook to clearly mark it out from the Mini. I know I've banged on about this in the past but I'd expect them to do that via software, maybe iPad versions of their pro apps? With iWorks, iPhoto and iMovie going free there's certainly a slot in the App Store for a paid professional offering. For that matter a redesigned iWorks package brining a consistent look and feel along the lines of iOS7 to iOS, OS X and the web versions might make a lot of sense too...

Ah who knows. We'll find out soon enough and fingers crossed that Apple continue their trend of going a little bit crazy when it comes to designing their AxX SoC's! :D

Just to clarify, the A7X would be dual core CPU, quad core GPU.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
People say this all the time when the latest iPhone/iPad comes out. "Get the latest because it will go all the way up to iOS X."

If the iPad 4 only goes up to iOS 8 (which is 2 jumps from iOS 6), what makes you think the iPad 5 will go up to iOS 10 (which is 3 jumps). Hardware and software go hand in hand exponentially so I'd imagine the iPad 5 will become obsolete at the same speed as the iPad 2, iPad 4, iPhone 4S, etc.

It is just that we get drunk with numbers whenever the latest tech comes out in an iPhone/iPad and claim it will last 5 years. The truth is each iPhone/iPad lasts only 2-3 years before it feels sluggish.

When an iOS device is the first to get a RAm upgrade while others have the low amount it usually gets one more updrade. iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4(512mb of ram, ipad 256, ipod 248)...

----------

Agreed.

----------

confirmed....yeah, well maybe Tim should just release new products on twitter thru this guy?

Its confirmed when Apple say it is.

Until then you should be forced to rename the thread...:rolleyes:

Apple have always had problems with leaks beating them to the stage. In the September event; they event mentioned it and that was regarding the images that this person leaked on his twitter. So you can go and wait, I just telling you before hand.

----------

So he can confirm that those rumors are correct.

He is leaking them as facts. He has been right every other time (the iPhone 5C and 5S specs and form factor as well as all the leaked images came from him). He has even done some hands on's with the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2. He also leaked the new colours. This is the man that told the world about the iPhone 5C with it's plastic back and A6 SoC. I think you can trust this guy.

----------

Dual Core 1.4-1.5Ghz A7X with G6630 GPU with 2Gb of RAM.

The CPU is a simple one, the GPU is the only one higher than the iPhone 5S ( as the iPad needs the higher GPU for the display and always has done), and the 2Gb of RAM has been confirmed.

----------

The lighter weight and form factor are EVERYTHING. Seriously. That's what's going to make people take the plunge. People are already expecting retina and A6X/A7 at the least.

I'm not buying it for the new form factor; that's an extra for me. I'm buying it for it's performance.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He is leaking them as facts. He has been right every other time (the iPhone 5C and 5S specs and form factor as well as all the leaked images came from him). He has even done some hands on's with the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2. He also leaked the new colours. This is the man that told the world about the iPhone 5C with it's plastic back and A6 SoC. I think you can trust this guy.

So you can trust his rumors. Its not a confirmed fact until someone tears down an officially released product.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013

A 64bit OS is more future proof than a 32bit. FACT. 2Gb of RAM is more future proof the 1Gb. FACT. When there is a new idevice on the market; it is safe to assume it will get 1 year more than the last one as the last one is one year old. An £80 pound saving is not worth a lost year and inferior hardware. When you buy an Apple product you get the best, why buy last years best when you can have this years best?

Understand...

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
A 64bit OS is more future proof than a 32bit. FACT. 2Gb of RAM is more future proof the 1Gb. FACT. When there is a new idevice on the market; it is safe to assume it will get 1 year more than the last one as the last one is one year old. An £80 pound saving is not worth a lost year and inferior hardware. When you buy an Apple product you get the best, why buy last years best when you can have this years best?

Understand...

Understand that many people use their iPads for reading tasks or watching videos at which point an £80 savings will mean more to them than having the latest processor.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
So you can trust his rumors. Its not a confirmed fact until someone tears down an officially released product.

It is not a rumor though! He leaked all the FACTS about the iPhone 5S and 5C. Guess where all the leaked images of the 5C and 5S came from. Him. Guess where all the specs (that were right) came from; HIM. He has the iPad 5 and mini 2 (forms, not running the OS; obviously), and he is the one posting all the leaks. Apple even mentioned the mass amount of leaks in the September Event!

I don't actually care though if you believe me/him or not. You will find out very soon. I will talk to you then :)

----------

Understand that many people use their iPads for reading tasks or watching videos at which point an £80 savings will mean more to them than having the latest processor.

Sorry. You have a point there. I am buying my iPad 5 for the performance and gaming. I am sorry as a appear to have forgot what others use it for. In that case it probably is better to save the money. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. No harsh feelings, eh :)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...Sorry. You have a point there. I am buying my iPad 5 for the performance and gaming. I am sorry as a appear to have forgot what others use it for. In that case it probably is better to save the money. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. No harsh feelings, eh :)

I'm not the kind of person to get upset about something on a nerd forum. I just remember a lot of people saying that they didn't notice the faster processor in the iPad 4, over the 3, for what they use it for. Heck a lot of people moved from iPad 4s to iPad Minis and said it was fine.

But if you do a lot of demanding things then the iPad 5 is better for you. I'd imagine that if those specs are accurate, everyone who VPNs will be very very happy.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011

Understand...

Agree with all of the above, but my point is, when iPhone 4 came out, it was the latest technology. When iPhone 4S came out it was the latest technology. When iPhone 5 came out it was the latest techonology. The software always catches up to the hardware regardless if it is 32-bit, 64-bit, or 512-bit or when 256GB of memory is the standard or 2GB of memory is the standard.

The newest iPhone/iPad models always utilizes the cutting edge technology of the time. If the iPhone/iPad X starts to show its age after 2 years, why would the iPad 5 be any different? The original iPad had 256GB of RAM which was great for its time. The iPad 2 had 512GB of RAM which was great for its time. The iPad 5 will have 2GB of RAM which is great for today. My point is you can't go by numbers because software requirements goes up hand in hand with hardware.

Last edited:

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I'm not the kind of person to get upset about something on a nerd forum. I just remember a lot of people saying that they didn't notice the faster processor in the iPad 4, over the 3, for what they use it for. Heck a lot of people moved from iPad 4s to iPad Minis and said it was fine.

But if you do a lot of demanding things then the iPad 5 is better for you. I'd imagine that if those specs are accurate, everyone who VPNs will be very very happy.

Totally agree with you there. I was one of few to notice the difference by quite a bit. The A7X and G6630 with 2Gb of RAM is perfect for me and my gaming needs but I suppose that iOS device are so fast that only gaming and pro apps set the difference aside.

For me; I just couldn't buy an iPad with iOS 7 on it. I need my iPad 5 with 64Gb of SSD, I need all the RAM I can get, I need a GPU that is such a jump it can compete with current gen consoles, I need controller support. Others don't and I get that. An iPad 4 would do just fine for them.

What about you; do you play demanding game on your iPad/ use pro apps?

----------

Agree with all of the above, but my point is, when iPhone 4 came out, it was the latest technology. When iPhone 4S came out it was the latest technology. When iPhone 5 came out it was the latest techonology. The software always catches up to the hardware regardless if it is 32-bit, 64-bit, or 512-bit or when 256GB of memory is the standard or 2GB of memory is the standard.

True but the iPod got one more year over the iPad, and the iPhone 4 got one more year over the iPod. If you do not use your iPad for demanding games or pro apps, then you don't really need to bother. If you do the £80 is super well spent.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Can we all agree this is an unofficial confirmation though? This guy is 100% trustworthy and I have no doubts his sources are reliable but until they confirm this is the exact products coming from a mass production line or Apple confirm, these specification confirmations are not official. Apple have been known to change things at late notice prior to going to production and we haven't seen any physical evidence of 2GB RAM or even a retina mini screen yet even though I'm pretty confident these will show up.

----------

An A6x in an ipad mini retina would be like the ipad 3 underpowered

How do you arrive at that conclusion? That would give it the exact same horsepower as an iPad 4. I would me pretty satisfied with that level of performance in an iPad mini!
It does make more sense to use the A7 though.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Can we all agree this is an unofficial confirmation though? This guy is 100% trustworthy and I have no doubts his sources are reliable but until they confirm this is the exact products coming from a mass production line or Apple confirm, these specification confirmations are not official. Apple have been known to change things at late notice prior to going to production and we haven't seen any physical evidence of 2GB RAM or even a retina mini screen yet even though I'm pretty confident these will show up.

It is unofficial confirmation, but that doesn't matter when it is from such a reliable source. Teardown's will confirm it :)

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
An A6x in an ipad mini retina would be like the ipad 3 underpowered

It is an A7 in the next mini (leaked). 1Gb of RAM. Not news on if it is retina though...

----------

iPad Mini 2 will be an instant buy :eek:

The leaked specs for the iPad mini 2 is an A7 processor (not the A7X; that is for the iPad 5), 1Gb of RAM (2Gb for the iPad 5) and most likely a G6430 GPU (G6630 for iPad 5). This is all the leaked specs, no news on if it is retina though.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...What about you; do you play demanding game on your iPad/ use pro apps?

Disclaimer. I chose two Minis for myself and my girl for the price of an iPad4. So I do value cost savings.

I use mine for drawing, reading, games and DJing. The Mini, and the 2 I had before it, is powerful enough to DJ without any hiccups. I've used it to do web coding with Textastic on the go, but I have a work computer I use that for mostly. Were my needs more demanding I'd totally go for the 5.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
The leaked specs for the iPad mini 2 is an A7 processor (not the A7X; that is for the iPad 5), 1Gb of RAM (2Gb for the iPad 5) and most likely a G6430 GPU (G6630 for iPad 5). This is all the leaked specs, no news on if it is retina though.

I got that from this thread. And even with that said, the A7 w/ 1gb ram is still an instant buy for me.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Kind of weird that a guy with such insight into the new iPads doesn't know if the Mini has retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.