IPad Air 2 to pro 9"7- GRUDGE purchase

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Newjackboy, May 13, 2016.

1. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

just moved from an iPad Air 2 to the 9"7 iPad Pro.

I upgrade both iPhones and iPads every generation. This was the first time I did so begrudgingly - mainly because I know Apple were sharking us by charging an extra 100 on top. This could easily have been presented as an iPad Air 3.

Only benefits are the pencil capability and the speakers which are much nicer. Otherwise general usage (safari , mail) feels much more sluggish than my air 2.

Generally disappointing and already looking towards the next gen and hoping it's improved and price goes back down.

2. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I do the same with upgrade cycles. I wonder why you are experiencing Safari Slowdown? I have found the snappiness to be the perk because the main reason I upgraded was that Pencil support along with the speakers and less reflective screen. Are you using the Pencil or Keyboard? If not, maybe return and go back to the Air 2?

3. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

How can it be more sluggish then Air 2. Makes no sense to me.

4. ukpetey macrumors regular

ukpetey

Why "GRUDGE" purchase? Nobody forced you and it's not compulsory, or necessary. Return it, or sell it and keep your Air 2 and see if the next incarnation suits you better.

5. Capt T macrumors 6502a

If you didn't want to buy it...then why buy it? Makes no sense to me. If you are not happy, return it.

6. RedOrchestra Suspended

Spare yourself all that angst and hate and take it back to the store right this movement - to say it runs slower than your Air 2 is nothing short of ridiculous.

7. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

This idea Apple is charging a extra 100 is a misconception.

The 9.7 iPP starts out at 32gb... compared to previous iPads that starts out w/ 16gb for $500. Consumers look at the starting price of $600 for the iPP and think that Apple is charging extra when they actually add more storage compared to previous entry level iPads.

8. Newjackboy thread starter macrumors 6502

No hate in my post. I said safari and Mail feels more sluggish

My main issue is the balls excuse of calling it a pro simply to hack up price by £100
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2016 ---
    Yes, but compare the entry level price. U need to stump up an extra £100 to buy in - this generation

9. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

If Apple put the label iPad Air 3 on it. you would NOT have the same A9X processor, you would NOT have the 4 speaker system, you would NOT have the same screen and the True Tone system, you would NOT have the 32GB starting storage. And it would cost you the exact same as the iPad Air 2 does.

Apple didn't hold a gun to your head to buy it..

10. Newjackboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I disagree. That's my point. If we got all of this features under an iPad Air 3 banner- it would have been a great upgrade - and no one would have been shocked.
    It's a natural evolution

11. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Return it, you're clearly unaware of its capabilities.

12. Capt T macrumors 6502a

"A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet"

13. Newjackboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol.
    You sound like those praising Apple (and blasting users) when they bricked the phones of people who changed repaired their phones unofficially ...... Until 5 days later Apple changed course
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2016 ---
    True!, if the price of that rose by a different name wasn't jacked up :)

I do love that quote by the way;)

14. RedOrchestra Suspended

Why would you stay on the thread and continue to "justify" your obvious BAD purchase - take it back and move along with your life.

There's already been a thousand threads on the "pro" Apple's ripping me off angle.

15. Newjackboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I started this thread to share my views and to get yours too

And I certainly won't take it back as its not faulty. Not my style to do so

16. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Apple is charging an extra $100.

For reference, see standard 8GB on MacBook.

17. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

So you're just going to complain about it?
    No one agrees with you or sees any logic to your complaint.
    It's your decision to buy every generation, so deal with it.
    Do you have a thread on the iPad 4 launch?

18. Newjackboy thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a forum mate. U just want to read the positives " this is out of this world. I would even pay 1000 dollars for it?"

It's a wider trend that Apple is moving towards.. At least for the time being. Sales growth slowing, but prices rising and extensive and ongoing use of existing forms and designs. If iPhone 7 is what rumours have stated this week, it would be further evidence

19. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

1) this forum has a huge amount of complaining

2) Agreed, I just don't see the point of complaining about this if you're perpetuating the attitude by buying every generation

20. frogger2020 macrumors regular

Yes if you buy every generation whether you like it or not, then you are part of the problem.

21. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

This thread just kind of feels like a troll. Sounds like OP was already mad at the 9.7" Pro before purchase and is just looking for things to justify the anger. Or even more likely, OP never owned it in the first place.

22. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

YEah exactly I paid $529 through Sprint with a Verizon Price match 2 year contract. LTE version $729 normally)

Thats $529 is only $30 more than the $499 iPad Air 2 with only 16GB and slower DDR3 RAM and less vibrant colors and worse WiFi antenna and a non interactive Display (no Pencil support) and a Display that can not adapt to its surroundings and actually a much dimmer display with cold colors. I could go on.

But for just $30 more (at the price I paid) its a steal.

23. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I have to say that I love my iPad Pro 9.7 and it has been worth every cent so far. At work, the Apple Pencil has proven its value.

At home, PIP and the improved speakers allow for a better media consumption experience.

Shame the device hasn't been to your liking, but I don't understand how mail and safari can be worse when you have better specs across the board.

24. larzy macrumors regular

larzy

I think what Newjackboy is saying is that he likes the machine. He just has a hard time understanding why Apple wouldn't just call it an air 3 - and so do I. They claimed the 12.9 was the Pro, and with every generation of the air/ipad new features were added, and there were only so little new they could bring to the table with the design of the air 2. Seems to me to be an excuse to charge a higher price - which in my opinion is not only greedy, but also foolish because of the declining sales of tablets in general.

25. Newjackboy thread starter macrumors 6502

You're spot on! That's 90% of the wider point I was conveying.

Yes, because I am an avid user of both the iPad and iPhone and am able to upgrade each gen- I do just that. But I think you will see far more of the general public saying either "enough is enough from Apple" and hold on to their existing devices for longer, or look elsewhere.

No-one who's also opened-minded can really like the direction Apple is currently moving towards...