Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjay80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
What should I do?
If I keep this, would they track me down?

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Well did you sign for it? Obviously they would be able to track you lol. This was really the wrong place to ask this? Go to church and confess then call apple :)

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Yeah I would call them, more likely than not they will track it down and eventually charge you if they realize you kept it.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Don't return it. Apple or whoever you got it from is getting reimbursed through their insurance claim. Its part of the shipping process and consider yourself lucky. Insurance is getting paid, the postal service got paid, and so did the vendor. I know it sounds bad but thats just how the process worked. You didn't ask for this, steal it, or do anything wrong.

kjay80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Don't return it. Apple or whoever you got it from is getting reimbursed through their insurance claim. Its part of the shipping process and consider yourself lucky. Insurance is getting paid, the postal service got paid, and so did the vendor. I know it sounds bad but thats just how the process worked. You didn't ask for this, steal it, or do anything wrong.

Seriously... UPS keeps delivering to a wrong place.
Sometimes its coming back, sometimes not at all...
I know what the moral says... but I dont like UPS!!!
Apple gets money either way.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore

UPS get their money also. They know it was claimed but had to deliver it anyway. Since an insurance claim was made they have to deliver it. Someone is double dipping in this process. It might as well be you. If you send it back to apple they will get the insurance money and the iPad. UPS the same. Call them and they will tell you the same thing.

Last edited:

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Keep it and open it, but don't open the replacement they gave you. Keep the replacement sealed for 30 days. Use the first one. If they track you, they would track the first one and not the second. The second is yours by all accounts. So if they contact you, be like, "Yes, I emailed for a return slip + box but nothing came in the mail. It has been sitting here waiting." You can pretend that you didn't know which is which. If you're lucky, they won't track you and after 30 days have past it would be safe to open the second and start using it.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
UPS get their money also. They know it was claimed but had to deliver it anyway. Since an insurance claim was made they have to deliver it. Someone is double dipping in this process. It might as well be you. If you send it back to apple they will get the insurance money and the iPad. UPS the same.

come on people - where are your morals? So robbing one that robbed another is ok? jesus, let's have some real human principals here!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
So the ethical principle here is "If I don't get caught, it's OK".

Adherence to internally enforced ethical principles is part of adult development.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013

Yep you are reasoning it out that it is OK to just steal the iPad.

Typical for today!

Do not be mad when someone steals from YOU!:mad:

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Here is my question to the OP...

Are you coming here because you want to keep it and you want people to make it ok for you?

OR

Do you think you should send it back, but if enough people say to keep it you will feel ok doing it?

Whichever it is, there is your answer. :)

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

Ah, I see, so you really aren't asking us what to do, you're asking us to legitimize what you already planned to do.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Well did you sign for it? Obviously they would be able to track you lol. This was really the wrong place to ask this? Go to church and confess then call apple :)

He hasn't done anything wrong until he decides to keep it without paying..

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I've experienced this before. The conclusion is the supervisors will trace it a few weeks later and directly call you, but I've already initiated a refund.

Just return it.

dL

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Call Apple and tell them, it's not like they can't notify UPS to cancel the claim either.

Don't steal, it's wrong, no matter what convoluted way it happened. You got something you didn't pay for and have the opportunity to correct a situation.

Would you want your kid doing this?

kjay80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
guys... i know what yall saying, and i agree.
but if you were in my position, right now... some of you would at least thinking about keeping it...

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
come on people - where are your morals? So robbing one that robbed another is ok? jesus, let's have some real human principals here!

Your not robbing anyone. You paid for insurance. You people are complicating something that is not. I got a Dell that was delivered with delivery signature confirmation. The mail person left it on the porch. I had no idea and started using it. A week or so later I noticed that they refunded my money. I called dell and they said that the transaction was complete and that I should keep the laptop. If you take it back to UPS somewhere will just keep it. You did nothing wrong it's just how the system works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.