Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release new iPad and MacBook models with OLED displays in 2022, according to industry sources cited by Taiwanese supply chain publication DigiTimes. The information was shared in the site's paywalled "Before Going to Press" section, so there are no further details yet, but the full report should be released by tomorrow.

OLED-iPad-Pro-and-MacBook-Pro.jpg

Apple has gradually increased its adoption of OLED displays, starting with the Apple Watch in 2015. Two years later, the iPhone X became the first iPhone with an OLED display, and Apple has since expanded the display technology across the entire iPhone 12 lineup. OLED displays have several benefits over LCDs, including higher brightness, improved contrast with deeper blacks, wider viewing angles, and more.

Macs and iPads still use LCDs, perhaps due in part to large OLED displays being expensive to manufacture. High-end OLED TVs often cost thousands of dollars, for example, with LCD versions at equal screen sizes typically priced far cheaper.

In November, Korean website The Elec reported that Apple planned to release new iPad Pro models featuring OLED displays in the second half of 2021, and claimed that Samsung and LG were already in the process of developing the displays. However, this rumor was soon followed up by a research note from Barclays analysts that said an iPad with an OLED display does not appear to be in the works for this year.

In a research note shared with MacRumors in December, the Barclays analysts said an iPad with an OLED display is unlikely to launch until 2022 at the earliest, based on their conversations with Apple supplier sources in Asia.

Assuming that Apple actually plans to release iPad and MacBook models with OLED displays, 2022 certainly sounds like a more likely timeframe, as Apple is widely expected to release iPad and MacBook models with Mini-LED-backlit LCD displays this year, and it would certainly be quick for Apple to switch display technologies twice within the same year.

Given that Mini-LED backlit displays offer many of the same advantages as OLED, such as high brightness and high contrast, one possibility is that Apple will eventually use a mix of both display technologies across its iPad and Mac lineups based on price points. Apple's exact plans remain to be seen, but there is mounting evidence that OLED displays will be involved in some capacity within the next year or two.

Article Link: iPad and MacBook Models With OLED Displays Rumored to Launch in 2022

Last edited:

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
The only reason I haven’t replaced my dying 2013 MBP with an 2020 M1 is that the display between the the models is largely unchanged aside from DCI-P3 support. I don’t even care if they added OLED as a premium CTO option for an extra $500 or so, I would buy it instantly.

idk if I would purchase a miniLED model, I exchanged my FAB QLED TV for a OLED because of glow and other image quality reductions, the oled blew it out of the water. I’m sure mini is better than FAB, but OLED is still king and I can’t go back to LCD after having it on my phone and TV for so long.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Maybe it's just me but coming from SE1 to 12 mini I noticed the screen is worse on the eyes when scrolling text. Especially in dim or dark room. Probably a consequence of greatly increased contrast or a side-effect of OLED in general regarding moving text on screen, but it's a pity. I'm not in love with it. Black levels are cool, but still.

Last edited:

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
Maybe it's just me but coming from SE1 to 12 mini I noticed the screen is worse in the eyes when rolling text. Both in dim room and especially dark door. Probably a consequence of greatly increased contrast, or a side-effect of OLED but it's a pity. I'm not in love with it. Black levels are cool, but still.
OLEDs aren’t perfect, what your experiencing is called “smear”. I still think this is a better trade off than LCD’s ghosting problem (especially noticeable on my 120hz iPad), especially because there’s no OLED smear at higher brightness.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
One thing I don't get about OLEDs is why there's really tiny OLED displays, really huge OLED displays, but nothing in the middle.

Nobody makes an OLED TV below 50 or so inches, for example. This annoyed me because I needed to buy a TV around 42" and really wanted to get OLED but had no luck finding one.

Meanwhile phones and watches? TINY OLED displays.

What's the challenge in making medium-sized (12-48") OLED displays that there's just NOTHING in that segment?

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
2022 may be a bit optimistic, but it’s not just not doubtful - it’s inevitable. LCDs will fall by the side like CRTs wil OLED in their place, miniLED is only a stop-gap.
I’m doubting the date. Yes, I’d like OLED too but can’t see it releasing next year. I am excited to see how MiniLED looks on a released product though.

Reactions: Tagbert

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
If it's only a stop-gap why bother investing the time and money into Macs with mini-LED screens? Better just to wait and transition to OLED next year. Makes no sense.
It would only happen if OLED wasn’t feasible for another couple years, which is possible. It’s either OLED in 2022, or if they can’t pull that off, it’ll be miniLED until oled can be done at the right scale and price. Another thing to consider is burn-in, which especially on an iPad while drawing is to be considered.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
An OLED iPad - reading at night is going to be a blast with true blacks :D. This will be great! I really like reading on my iPhone at night with OLED.
Totally agree. I’ve thought more about upgrading from my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 and honestly, it’s still so fast, has great display, and it’s a note taking, consumption device for me while in med school so I’ve got no reason to upgrade this year. OLED would be awesome if true.

haleyp

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2018
Give me eye-searing OLED with ABL so I can work outside! Does miniLED offer any improvement at all over LCD for text, which is 90% of what's on my macbook?

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
Looking forward to menu bar burn-in, just like my old CRT Macs.
The new see-through nature of the menubar, along with dynamic or rotating wallpapers will reduce this probably by a lot. If you’re really worried about it, you can auto-hide the menubar. But seeing as my 4 year old iPhone X doesn’t have any burn-in (unlike my 6 month old Samsung…) I think they’ll be smart enough with software to figure it out. The only use-case I’m personally worried about is drawing with the iPad, but mac should be ok.

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Don’t f... do this to me

Ive waited 8 years for a decent macbook pro (avoided all the recent drama), and finally this year seems the one; only for them to change from MiniLED to OLED IN A YEAR?

Why bother with the transition? This is not cool.. id rather wait another year and have them release the mixed lineup, but don't tempt me like this one year to obsolete my display tech the other!

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Well as PenTile OLEDs look crummy at Mac/ iPad pixel densities either they must have finally solved the blue diode lifespan problem, or they’re really confident in M series graphics to push some insane resolutions!

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
Give me eye-searing OLED with ABL so I can work outside! Does miniLED offer any improvement at all over LCD for text, which is 90% of what's on my macbook?
miniLCD will offer no benefit for text, as the backlight’s will not be small enough to give extra contrast between letters, and would be a glowing mess. OLED on the other hand, is a dream come true for text legibility.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
The new see-through nature of the menubar, along with dynamic or rotating wallpapers will reduce this probably by a lot. If you’re really worried about it, you can auto-hide the menubar. But seeing as my 4 year old iPhone X doesn’t have any burn-in (unlike my 6 month old Samsung…) I think they’ll be smart enough with software to figure it out. The only use-case I’m personally worried about is drawing with the iPad, but mac should be ok.
NO. NO. NO. I'm looking FORWARD to it! It's part of the character of my Macinstosh. :p

• Haha
Reactions: kalafalas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.