Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

145915-app_store_ipad_apps_500.jpg

Gizmodo notes that the first batch of iPad applications have become visible in the App Store. Applications can be purchased and downloaded, but obviously require an iPad to be functional. Downloaded iPad apps appear in a separate section of the "Apps" pane in iTunes, below iPhone and iPod touch applications.

150753-itunes_ipad_apps.jpg

Apple has also updated the Terms and Conditions for the App Store, reflecting the addition of iPad functionality and also clarifying that various types of iTunes gift cards and other credits are managed by a separate company known as Apple Value Services, LLC.

Article Link: iPad Apps Begin to Go Live in App Store

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Come to Canada already! :(

EDIT: Things for iPad! Gimme! Looking through this is a goldmine.

Comment

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Okay, I am confused. Will all of the apps I have like Navigon already work on an iPad or do I need to buy them all over again?

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Okay, I am confused. Will all of the apps I have like Navigon already work on an iPad or do I need to buy them all over again?

They'll all work, but they'll either be small OR you can blow them up in which case they'll be blurry.

So developers will be making a lot of 'iPad Version' apps of apps that are already out there. Whether they charge you again for that is up to them. Most of them will, these programs are being re-designed, not just enlarged. Since they're really new programs, you'll probably end up paying again for most of them.

If you're happy with the small iPhone version, just keep using that. (Although you probably won't be happy with it once you start to see the new iPad apps).

For example, watch the Mail on the iPhone video.
Then watch the Mail on the iPad video.

Can you imagine NOT wanting to use that iPad version on your iPad? That's how the 3rd party apps will be too...they'll be different enough that the upgrade price will be worth it.

Comment

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
You can actually begin to download now. I have gotten a few free apps and picked up Pages as I know that's one app I'll be using a lot. I'm not going to delve in and pay for a ton of apps, but a few freebies are fun to have ready. Looking at Scrabble as my wife LOVES to play that game...maybe the coloring app for my kindergartner, but I don't know that I want to set a precedent for her to play with the iPad. Peanut butter and jelly just doesn't seem to be something that would be very compatible with an iPad! :)

Comment

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Wow, prices are really going up from iPhone levels. As a developer, I like to see it and while everyone wants software for free, I think it'll raise the quality of iPad apps and make for a more sustainable model.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
So does anyone know what happens when you buy one of the apps that includes both the iPad and the iPhone version? Do they show up in both lists? Or just in one place?

Comment

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
lolipad.png

Looks like we're still going to have the same quality control issues as the iPhone. xD

Comment

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
i hope board games really catch on with the iPad. they never were much fun on the iPhone. an iPad will be great for that genre of game.

Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wow, the Articles Wikipedia app looks really slick. AIM looks actually nice as well.

Anybody find a nice PDF annotator app? That's what I would need if I were to get an iPad. I wish apple would just port Preview...

Edit: Readdledocs is almost there...It has Dropbox support (!) and can read Office, Pages and PDF files. Just no annotation.

Comment

babble

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Quebec
i hope board games really catch on with the iPad. they never were much fun on the iPhone. an iPad will be great for that genre of game.

Yes! Would love to get an iPad version of Settlers of Catan and many more.

Also, does anyone know of any good RTS or Turn-based in the styles of Starcraft, Warcraft or Heroes 3 out now for the iPhone and/or coming to the iPad?:)

Comment

talkingnewmedia

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
Chicago
Wow, the Articles Wikipedia app looks really slick. AIM looks actually nice as well.

Anybody find a nice PDF annotator app? That's what I would need if I were to get an iPad. I wish apple would just port Preview...

There are a handful of PDF apps, but I don't know their capabilities.

There are a lot apps missing, and lots of dead links. I suggest . . . patience.

Comment

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Yes! Would love to get an iPad version of Settlers of Catan and many more.

Also, does anyone know of any good RTS or Turn-based in the styles of Starcraft, Warcraft or Heroes 3 out now for the iPhone and/or coming to the iPad?:)

Only turn-based game I know of is Civilization Revolution, which will supposedly show up on Saturday for $12.99.

Comment

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
If these publishers think I'll pay again for the same app with higher resolution, they're wrong. In fact, from now on, I'll likely only buy iPhone apps (and especially games) that are universal.

If the iPad apps have significant more functionality, I'll bite. I'll even pay more than for an iPhone app, but they better include the iPhone version.

But 10 bucks for an RSS reader, just because the screen is bigger? I don't think so! Developers don't get payed per pixel... (I'm a developer myself. But I think that's just trying to milk the early adopters.)

Comment

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010

Edit: Readdledocs is almost there...It has Dropbox support (!) and can read Office, Pages and PDF files. Just no annotation.

Check out padnotes

Comment

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
geometry wars on xbox live arcade = $5
geometry wars on ipad = $10

LOL

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.