Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usb3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
iPadOS is not ready to be a laptop replacement for professional creatives if it can't handle basic tasks like copying files from a SD/microSD card.

This has occurred multiple times across many months and multiple iPadOS updates:

1. Take microSD card (exFAT format) from GoPro/drone (videos often 4K60)
2. Plug it into iPad Pro (w/ USB C) via adapter
3. Open Files app, viewing videos is file
4. Clicking share freezes up Files app
5. Files app either crashes / needs to be force closed / SD has to be removed
6. Re-inserting SD results in "content unavailable" error in Files app (it stays like this for weeks to months...)
7. Plugging SD card into MacOS, the video files are no longer there in the SD card

What's the point of getting a 512GB/1TB GB iPad if you can't copy videos to it?
Anyone know how to recover the files that get corrupted and destroyed?

Reactions: slplss

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
iPadOS is not ready to be a laptop replacement for professional creatives if it can't handle basic tasks like copying files from a SD/microSD card.

This has occurred multiple times across many months and multiple iPadOS updates:

1. Take microSD card (exFAT format) from GoPro/drone (videos often 4K60)
2. Plug it into iPad Pro (w/ USB C) via adapter
3. Open Files app, viewing videos is file
4. Clicking share freezes up Files app
5. Files app either crashes / needs to be force closed / SD has to be removed
6. Re-inserting SD results in "content unavailable" error in Files app (it stays like this for weeks to months...)
7. Plugging SD card into MacOS, the video files are no longer there in the SD card

What's the point of getting a 512GB/1TB GB iPad if you can't copy videos to it?
Anyone know how to recover the files that get corrupted and destroyed?

Yep, my long thread on this started 2 years ago -

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/file-corruption-on-copy-to-external-storage.2235171/

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
My issue's slightly different, it's copy from external storage to iPad storage

Similar issue reported by others in that thread. The general problem is iPadOS and its handling of exFAT-formatted attached storage, in particular with the built-in Files app. I switched to using FileBrowser Pro myself and haven't run into issues with it.

Snowlover

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2018
Alpine , CA
This kind of thing with iOS/iPados file system is why I choose android for phone and tablet.
I know you all will say the app centered os is better/more secure, but I prefer the file centered approach of android.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
This kind of thing with iOS/iPados file system is why I choose android for phone and tablet.
I know you all will say the app centered os is better/more secure, but I prefer the file centered approach of android.

This issue aside, I also prefer the file-centered approach as it fits the data stovepipe model I have had to use with my projects where data from one project cannot be intermingled with data from another. And I prefer to aggregate my data according to logical relationships, not according to app association. My sandboxes are not app-centric.

usb3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
So has anyone been able to recover files that the iPad deleted from the external storage device when attempting to transfer files over?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.