Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPad Enclosure Has Empty Space for Camera?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Top: iPad frame, Center: Camera, Bottom: MacBook Frame
Repair company Mission Repair has posted images of what is supposedly the iPad outer frame. While the iPad is not yet shipping, the company seems to have gotten a supply of iPad parts through unofficial channels. Assuming these are actual iPad parts, it appears that Apple did build in a space for a camera at the top of the device.

The photo above is particularly convincing as the iPad frame is compared to a MacBook frame which does house a camera. The holes seem identical. Even if this is all true, Apple ultimately chose not to include a camera from the first version of the iPad. The iPad will begin shipping in late March.

Article Link: iPad Enclosure Has Empty Space for Camera?

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
Seriously, you'd have to be a moron to buy the 1.0 version of the iPad. But you just know there will be scores of dimwits sleeping outside the Apple stores the night before the iPad goes on sale.

Comment

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Oh snap, the sh&t just hit the fan, get ready for people griping about how it should be added in, when in reality they could still throw it in and surprise us, but very unlikely.

Comment

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
If this is true..

EVERYONE BUY AN iPAD AND MAKE IS A SUCCESS. That way version 2 will come out and be better for me to buy :p

Comment

mcbane666

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
Canada
Just think about it. Apples works very hard at the design and user experience.

If the Ipad had a camera ether you would tire your arms out holding out far enough from your face, or the other person would be looking up your nose it you had it on your lap.

The only time I see the camera working is when docked, and well thats not very apple to me.

I want a webcam in it, but I seriously can't see it working in a tablet. do to the fact that a laptop base sits flat a webcam works.

Comment

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
It would be nice if they could include it in this first version but chances are it will come until the second one.
Or has Apple included features that were not discussed when certain product was unveiled?

Comment

VideoShooter

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2004
With or without a camera... the iPad is still going to sell well.

This isn't a surprise. Nor does this post add anything to the conversation.

Comment

hottyson

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2005
1st generation products are for the suckers.

Need a camera? Buy our new second gen iPad.
Need a USB port? Buy our new third gen iPad.
Need...

ha ha :D
This is so apple.
They know how to get our money.

Comment

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Seriously, you'd have to be a moron to buy the 1.0 version of the iPad. But you just know there will be scores of dimwits sleeping outside the Apple stores the night before the iPad goes on sale.

or maybe some people simply buy things if they are useful to them and stop worrying about what ifs and what other people think. Why do you feel the need to tell other people what they should or should not do?

Comment

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL

I am one of those morons. Can't wait.

Comment

Reaperducer

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
Very interesting.

If the first batch of iPads doesn't have a camera, I wonder if it would be possible for a company to install MacBook cameras in them as an aftermarket upgrade.

Or maybe a nice tutorial from iFixIt.

Comment

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
1st generation products are for the suckers.

Need a camera? Buy our new second gen iPad.
Need a USB port? Buy our new third gen iPad.
Need...

ha ha :D
This is so apple.
They know how to get our money.

Uh, the first gen has a USB port. And last time I checked, Apple generally doesn't add ports to their devices, they're more likely to take them away or change them to something else than start adding them.

Comment

Reaperducer

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
Just think about it. Apples works very hard at the design and user experience.

If the Ipad had a camera ether you would tire your arms out holding out far enough from your face, or the other person would be looking up your nose it you had it on your lap.
Dock. 'Nuff said.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.