Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit has shared a brief teardown of Apple's new 9.7-inch iPad unveiled last week, and unsurprisingly, the tablet looks just as much like an original iPad Air on the inside as it does on the outside.

ipad-5-vs-ipad-air-1.jpg

In the side-by-side photo above, iFixit noted the original iPad Air on the left has a slightly larger Wi-Fi module compared to the new 9.7-inch iPad on the right, but otherwise the tablets look virtually identical.

iFixit said the new 9.7-inch iPad remains difficult to repair due to the front panel being glued to the device and strong adhesive holding everything in place. One plus is that the battery is not soldered to the logic board.

The new 9.7-inch iPad is all about price. It's the cheapest new tablet that Apple has ever sold, starting at $329, yet with a brighter display and a faster A9 processor compared to the now-discontinued iPad Air 2.

The fifth-generation iPad, as it is officially known, is also somewhat thicker and heavier than the iPad Air 2 since it lacks a fully laminated display with anti-reflective coating in order to keep costs down.

ipad-5-teardown.jpg

The tablet's tech specs are otherwise identical to the iPad Air 2, including a display resolution of 2,048-by-1,536 at 264 PPI, 8-megapixel rear iSight camera, 1.2-megapixel front FaceTime camera, two speakers, Lightning connector, 3.5mm headphone jack, Touch ID with Apple Pay, and Bluetooth 4.2.

The new 9.7-inch iPad can be ordered now on Apple's website in the United States and dozens of other countries.

Apple said the new 9.7-inch iPad is also available to purchase at select Apple Stores, authorized resellers, and carrier stores starting this week in more than 20 countries, including the U.S., Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K.

Article Link: New 9.7-Inch iPad Teardown Confirms It's Basically an Original iPad Air

YvesM007-1993

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
Didn’t Steve say that Apple was in the business of making the best possible products, not in the business of racing to the bottom?
True, but it has to be seen in the context that Apple, like no other, could -and still can- deliver high-end products for a (relatively) low price.
EDIT: Although I have to admit that some of their Macs don't follow neither strategy.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
In other words, after 2 years they've been able to make 1 laptop and re-release their iPhone and iPad.
Yeah, big plans.. can't wait for that TV and Car they're working on..
[doublepost=1490877856][/doublepost]
To be perfectly honest, even when i try out the "new" iPhones, they are basically the same as the old iphones.

Apple is just all about coming up with new color products now.
Yep, it's turned into a fashion company now. Pro users? WHAT? .. no cli for you! who needs a file system.. get out!

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
To be perfectly honest, even when i try out the "new" iPhones, they are basically the same as the old iphones.

Apple is just all about coming up with new color products now.

I know this is a joke about Apple's lack of tons of new features or whatever, but I think after the 5S major everyday performance improvements started to die down. I think technology just hit the point that, so long as botchy software isn't messing with things, an A7 is more than the average person needs anymore. Or at least I can hardly tell a difference between my 5S and iP7+ anyway performance-wise

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
NXP 67V04 NFC Controller as seen in the iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2

So does this iPad have NFC or is this part of the motion co-processor?

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
The iPad's naming structure has been such a mess. iPad, iPad 2, the new iPad, iPad with Retina Display, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad

It looks so stupid but I like that they have finally sorted it out. Makes sense to have an iPad Mini line, an iPad line, and an iPad Pro line.

Last edited:

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Well at least I could upgrade my original-Air to this iPad, for all the modern enhancements at a modest price. And most likely still use my leather Apple iPad cover.

Wow, how times have changed at Apple; at least this particular one is a positive for we thrifty folk.

EDIT: Also, this obviously has environmental recycling benefits, as Apple can re-use the old iPad Air aluminum cases, right?

Last edited:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
The reaction to this device is, like the devices themselves, very similar to the reactions to the iPhone SE over the 5/5S/6S which that was a hybrid of. Positive from people who value the low price option, negative from people who don't get that and seemingly only ever want ever-more powerful and expensive devices than anything released before.

I think it's great that Apple are bringing back proven hardware in a new combination at a lower price.

I would love a Mac Pro SE that took this approach - up to date specs in the old 5,1 form factor for a budget price... yes please.

And not to get into political stuff, but given the UK (where I am)'s political/economic situation, it's especially important if Apple wants to retain its level of sales here, because the price rises on existing products threatens to seriously damage Apple in the UK IMHO. Of course so does having ancient computers at those inflated prices too, but that's a whole other issue by itself.

Last edited:

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Prices of components come down over time it would be interesting to see what the increase in profit is between this Ipad and if they had just lowered the price of the AIR2. I bet it isn't much

Reactions: HJM.NL

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
In other words, after 2 years they've been able to make 1 laptop and re-release their iPhone and iPad.
Yeah, big plans.. can't wait for that TV and Car they're working on..
[doublepost=1490877856][/doublepost]
Yep, it's turned into a fashion company now. Pro users? WHAT? .. no cli for you! who needs a file system.. get out!

Mate, if you need command line for iPad, have you tried Prompt by Panic? No, you can't use it for local work, but if it's a remote terminal you need, it's very nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.